ST: Independence - "Nadir"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Dnoth, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really fantastic stuff here, D'noth. The splintering of Indy's crew as well as whatever shenanigans SF Medical is up to in regards to these viral pathogens both bode ill.

You're doing some damn fine character work here, and showing us a more vulnerable aspect to Sintina than we knew existed.

Kudos! :techman:

2. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm really digging this story and the various plot lines for the scattered senior officers of the Independence.

Nice touch that Kimula's interest in Pathfinder actually stems from having had a friend on the often forgotten and seriously ill-fated Equinox.

Also great to see Wenera again in her first ever post-Eagle appearance. Looks like her and Zo'Kama are in the same, if not similar, boat here. I'm sure they'd make a great team.

3. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I echo everyone else's comments. Really like the Equinox reference. One of the few VOY episodes that I really enjoyed.

4. Dnoth

Dnoth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can not thank everyone enough for your support. Thanks for all the comments and compliments.

CHAPTER 7

Supplemental
    USS Independence, Main Bridge
    Docked at Starbase 17, Porrima System

The bridge still hadn’t been totally cleaned up since the battle with the Philadelphia and the Vuke. There were scraps of plasticized mesh and optic cables littered on the deck. It was quiet, except for someone operating a console.

She looked to find Lieutenant Commander Ethan Windslow at the engineering station. Windslow had once been a captain until it was discovered he had panicked and abandoned some of his crew during the war. He probably never should have gone into the command division in the first place. However, he was one hell of an engineer. The human had light skin and graying, terra cotta colored hair with a goatee.

He noticed her, “Captain, is there something I can do for you?”

Sintina frowned and shook her head. “No.” She rounded the helm and ops consoles, “No, I just wanted to take a look around before I go.” She made her way to the center seat and rested her hand on it, “I’m…glad Command put you in charge of the repairs.”

Windslow turned in the chair. Pleased at the complement, he rejoined, “Back at Utopia Planitia, I used to oversee new ship construction. It’ll be easy compared to that.”

She managed a mild grin.

Ethan and Sintina never really had a warm relationship. They were coworkers. That was the extent of their interactions. Even so, he ventured, “Where will you be going, Captain?”

She looked up at him. For some reason, it seemed she didn’t expect – or want – the question. For a moment, it looked like she might snap at him. Then, it passed. Aurelia finally responded evenly, “To see a friend.”

Windslow didn’t press for details.

She changed the subject, “I haven’t heard where Faltyne will be going. Have you?”

“No ma’am, I haven’t seen him lately.”

She nodded silently.

Ethan took a breath. He half-lied, “Well, I’m needed in engineering.”

Aurelia appreciated the falsehood. She wanted to be alone.

The engineer entered the port lift.

Once he was gone, she slowly walked down a short corridor to the ready room. She went into her old office. She was tempted to sit in her chair, but decided against it. Sintina took a deep breath and walked back out. She made her way toward the turbolift and paused in front of it. The captain took one last long look.

Sintina realized something a few hours ago. She thought long and hard as to what to do, where to go, who to see. Then she realized, she had three people that she truly though of as friends. One was going to Earth. One was dead. And, one…one was a renegade in the eyes of many in the Federation. There was only one thing to do, one place to go, one person to see. It would take over a month to get there using civilian transports.

It was time to look up her old academy roommate. It was time to find Ro Laren.

Supplemental
    Starbase 17, Medical Section 3, Physician’s Lounge
    Porrima System

Nearly everyone in the lounge area wore blue. Their uniforms were in various states. Some looked clean and pressed, while others were stripped down to their blue undershirts.

Wenera and Zo’kama sat at a table next to a large window. Several vessels loitered in the void beyond.

The Hispanic woman leaned in and continued the conversation, “I still can’t believe Starfleet is stopping your research. I mean, I understand your ship’s mission with the Vuke went bad, but as far as I’m concerned, that’s all the more reason to give them the cure. It would go a long way to repair relations.”

The Arkonian jerked her head to the right, the gesture indicated her agreement, “You’re singing to the chorus.”

The human grinned, but didn’t correct her.

Zo’Kama added, “I thank you for your interest in my problems. But, I know so little about you. I didn’t even get your full name.”

She took a sip of coffee, “Wenera. Ashley. But my friends call me Jane. I was the CMO on Eagle until I had Coby. That's my two year old son, and a really long story," she said in the kind of tone that made it obvious that it was not a subject she wanted to dwell upon. "Right now I'm attached to the Medical Advisory and Assistance Division. It's where I started my Starfleet career. It kinda made sense coming back to it considering the high demand after the war."

“I’m familiar with that program,” offered the reptilian. “It focuses on planetary medical assistance.”

“That’s right,” she confirmed, “We work on both Federation and non-Federation worlds.” She went on, “Coby and I travel to wherever they need us.”

“Ah, I have offspring as well. My son is currently chief of security on the USS Mantis and my daughter is nearing her age of independence.”

Ashley asked, “Wow, how old is she in Earth years?”

“Fourteen,” she replied, “Next year, she will be allowed to choose her own path.”

Wenera’s mind returned to the years she had spent working with M.A.A.D. She said, “I can’t count the times my team has been forced to evacuate a planet because Command said it was too dangerous for us. How many lives could we have saved if we would have been allowed to continue our work?”

The question hung in the air.

She continued, “The sick and the starving have to endure those conditions.” She looked up with aggravation, “But it’s too ‘hazardous’ for us.”

Zo’Kama completely understood, but wasn’t sure how to respond.

Wenera added, “I joined Starfleet to help people regardless of who they are. People are people and it shouldn’t matter if our governments are at war or if it’s politically inconvenient.”

The reptilian sighed and fiddled with her cup. “It seems Starfleet Command sometimes does not live up to the ideals of the Federation.”

“Uff,” came from Ashley. “I won’t argue with you on that.” Then, she took a drink.

The conversation seemed to stall. Neither one wanted to be the first to say what they were both thinking.

“You know,” Wenera finally gambled, “I traveled here on the Meharry. She’s a medical ship…and right now, the ship is nearly abandoned due to a refit.”

Zo’Kama’s eyes perked up. “Is that so?”

“In fact,” she went on, “the Meharry has couple of runabouts in its shuttlebay.”

The Arkonian commented, “There is so much transporter activity in the area, transporting my medical equipment might go unnoticed.”

Wenera supplemented, “We’ll need a level 7 security clearance in order for flight control to clear us.”

“That’s not a problem,” said Zo’Kama, “I have one. Of course, an inaccurate flight plan would have to be filed.”

The level of excitement in their voices heightened.

Ashley informed her, “It’ll take two days to get to the H’Kan system in a runabout. Do you think we can produce a cure – or at least a vaccine – by then?”

“I believe so.”

Then, there was nothing left to say. The point from talk to action had come. There was a short silence. It had to be done. Millions were suffering.

Zo’Kama stood, “We should prepare our children for the trip. I’ll meet you in the transporter room down the hall in one-half hour.”

Wenera rose as well, “We’ll see you there.”

5. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Their children? Are they taking family for some reason? Or am I misunderstanding what Zo'Kama is getting at?

Either way, this is exciting! :D

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It appears that Sintina and the UT unofficial doctors without borders are about to stir up some trouble.

7. CeJay

Ah, there is nothing quite like seeing a starship captain on their empty bridge. There is something very sentimental about that image. Especially in this case.

And now she's off to find an infamous Starfleet traitor. That ought to be interesting.

And naturally I'm enjoying the Zo'Kama/Wenera plot line as well. You get starship captains go off on crazy, orders-defying missions every other day, but to see a couple of doctors do it. Now that's a novel concept. Looking forward to see how they'll fare.

8. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Woah! There's a lot to take in here. Sinita facing the empty bridge was a powerful scene because any of us who write starship captains can easily imagine some of her anguish. That was terrifically written.

Then we come to Wenera and Zo'kama hatching a dangerous plan that surmounts to mutiny - but I have to agree with them wholeheartedly in their intended course. Great stuff.

9. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Seems like the ladies decided to do what's right, damn the consequences. Go, ladies! :D

10. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, they’re contemplating some heroic yet almost certainly career-ending actions. And taking a runabout into Vuke territory seems risky, despite their ‘official’ request for help. If someone didn’t get the memo, Wenera and Zo’Kama could find themselves in a world of hurt.

And they can’t really be thinking of taking their children with them on this mission, can they? :wtf:

Great stuff here, D'noth!

11. DavidFalkayn

DavidFalkayn Commodore Commodore

Uh oh...the docs are scheming. Risky, but I can see both women doing this for a variety of motives--besides being the right thing to do, it lets them both do something I'm sure they've been wanting to do for some time--poke Starfleet in the eye.

12. Dnoth

Again, thanks everyone. It's fun, I don't know exactly where this story is going either. ;)

I have decided to have the sub-plots play out in chronological order. Some people have more traveling time than others. Plus, it's easier for me to keep track of what's going on. The effect will be a focus on one plot, then another. It might be easier for the reader as well.

CHAPTER 8

Supplemental
    USS Meharry, Bridge

The Olympic class bridge was most definitely not designed for combat. The only station forward of the center seat was the helm. Various consoles lined the aft bulkhead. The bridge was fully lit.

The only occupant, a human female, seemed focused on a display. She sat at the engineering station. The woman’s completion indicated she originated from the Indian sub-continent. Commander Anchal Sidhani needed to file some last minute reports before the ship’s overhaul began.

‘Beep beep,’ broke the stillness.

The commander stood and quickly identified the source of the alert. It was coming from ops.

It repeated, ‘beep beep.’

She approached the console and discovered the cause of the klaxon. Someone had begun a pre-flight sequence on the Banda, one of two Danube class runabouts on board.

“What the hell?” she said to no one. Then, she dashed for the turbolift.

Supplemental
    USS Meharry, Main Shuttlebay, Runabout Banda

The aft section of the runabout was full medical equipment. The dining area would have to be converted to an ad hoc medical lab. Luckily for the children, the corpse was concealed in a cylindrical container.

In the cockpit, Wenera had just finished securing Coby in the chair next to the science station. The boy had a thick head of dark hair. Zo’Kama was powering up the vessel at ops. Her daughter, Zo’Kala, sat idly behind her at the engineering console.

The younger Arkonian posed, “Go’chama, will we get in trouble for this?”

The human looked over to see how the question would be handled.

Zo’Kama didn’t take her eyes of the station, “I most likely will, yes. But, do not concern yourself with that. You will not be held responsible.”

“I was not concerned for myself, go’chama.”

At that, the mother looked back and held her hand for a moment.

Coby could be heard asking, “Momma, we going?” He repeated it twice before she had a chance to respond.

“Yes honey, we’re going,” she said as she assumed the helm.

“Opening shuttebay door,” reported the reptilian.

The massive door began to slide up as warnings sounded in the bay.

The two doctors were focused on their stations.

Unexpectedly, Zo’Kala said, “Go’chama, who’s that?”

“I told you, this is Ashley Jane Wenera and her offspring, Coby.”

“No,” she corrected, “Not them, her.” She pointed out the forward transparent aluminum.

They looked up to see a red-trimmed Starfleet officer. It appeared she was a commander. The Indian stood directly in front of the forcefield protected exit.

“Aw, crap,” came from Wenera.

“Mamma, say bad word,” could be heard in the background.

The human ignored the observation from her son and looked to Zo’Kama, “Any ideas?”

The Arkonian immediately rejoined, “I’m not going to hurt anyone.”

“We could just fly around her.”

“And how far would we get if we did that?” Zo’Kama responded.

The former Eagle officer gazed down and silently agreed. She said, “Well, that was a short trip.”

13. Dnoth

CHAPTER 9

Supplemental
    USS Meharry, Main Shuttlebay

A few moments later, Commander Zo’Kama and Lt. Commander Wenera exited the craft to confront their fate.

The Meharry first officer immediately challenged them, “Who are you two and what the hell were you doing with our runabout?”

Zo’Kama, being the senior officer, stepped up, “I am Commander Zo’Kama Do’matar and this is Lieutenant Commander Wenera. We intended to use the runabout to travel to the H’Kan system.”

“The H’Kan system,” she repeated. “That system is under quarantine.”

Wenera chimed in, “We know, sir. We…we were going there to attempt to cure the H’Kan plague.”

“I know you,” said Sidhani. “You came with us from the Cardassian border.”

“Yes sir.”

In genuine confusion, the first officer shrugged her shoulders, “Even if that’s true, why take the Banda without authorization?”

The two doctors fidgeted slightly.

The Arkonian admitted, “Because, Command has ordered me to discontinue my research. Our mission is not sanctioned by Starfleet.”

Sidhani huffed in disbelief, “So you two – by yourselves – decided to go there and help them anyway?”

Before they could rejoin her, Commander Sidhani noticed movement from the runabout’s cockpit, through the forward windows. It was another Arkonian, but much younger. Zo’Kala quickly ducked down once she realized the XO caught sight of her.

It didn’t take long for Sidhani to figure out what was going on. “Oh this just keeps getting better.” She addressed Zo’Kama, “So you think it’s a good idea to bring your kid into hostile space on an illegal mission?”

The elder Arkonian stiffened up, “Zo’Kala is nearly an adult. She must learn about the importance of conviction and the courage to act on it.”

For a moment, the XO seemed almost content with the answer.

Then, in a horrible act of serendipity, Coby’s young voice called out, “Momma, momma…momma….”

Sidhani’s jaw dropped and she began to glare at Wenera. Her expression demanded an explanation.

Ashley cleared her throat, “That’s um…my son, sir.”

Anchal’s face still clearly revealed her displeasure, “Uh uh.”

“Momma…”

“Hold on, sweety,” she yelled back. Then, she returned to the XO. Her tone was respectful, but no nonsense, “Look, sir, where I go, he goes. When I was with the Medical Advisory and Assistance Division, I went to Avenal VII, Rondac III, even Cardassia Prime for humanitarian missions. Coby went with me to all of them. I knew groups like the Crimsom Shadow were in operation on those planets. I knew Starfleet Hospitals could be targeted. I knew the danger I was – I am – putting my son in.”

The Indian stepped back and shook her head. “From what I know of the Vuke, their intelligence is matched only by their viciousness. There is no way I can let you go, especially with your children.”

“Please,” stated Zo’Kama, “You must. Millions of people are dying a horrible death. We can do something about it. We can stop it.”

“I understand.” She added, “Hell, I sympathize. If I were in your shoes I might…” She let the sentence fade, not wanting to finish it.

Wenera saw the gap in the XO’s shields. “Commander, we are willing to risk our lives to help millions. In the end, isn’t that what Starfleet in all about? We risk our lives everyday in order to help others. It’s what we did in the Dominion War.”

Sidhani had carried her own demons from the war. Whether the doctor knew it or not, evoking it was powerful for the commander. She paced a bit. Then, she replied, “At least let me take care of the children while you do this.”

The terms were too much for Wenera, “I told you, sir. Where I go, he goes.”

Sidhani shook her head again, “I can’t. I can’t let you go. Power the runabout down. Go back…to where ever you came from.”

The Hispanic woman began to protest, but the XO shot back quickly, “No. The discussion is over. You’re lucky I don’t report you to security. But I swear to you, if you two don’t get off my ship right now, that’s exactly what I’ll do. Understood?”

Their hopes dashed, both replied with a “Yes sir.”

Zo’Kama informed her, “I’ll have to access the runabout’s transporter to get my equipment back to the starbase.”

“Fine,” was the harsh response.

On board the Banda, Zo’Kama manipulated the controls of the transporter unit.

Wenera came up behind her, “I’m sorry. At least we can say we tried.” Then, she noticed the transport coordinates. They were off. She wasn’t locking on to inanimate objects. She was isolating a lifeform. She realized what her counterpart was doing, “Zo’Kama, are sure that’s a good…” It was too late.

The Arkonian had beamed Commander Sidhani to another location.

“Where did you beam her to?”

The Independence doctor strode to the aft compartment and retrieved a small canister and hypospray. “To my lab on the starbase. It’s locked and isolated.”

“But what’s to keep her from calling for help?”

She gestured to the hypo, “This.” She preset the device to disperse its contents into the air in five seconds. She placed it on the pad and it disappeared in the transporter effect. “That should keep Commander Sidhani sedated for nearly twenty hours.”

“Zo’Kama, do you know what you’ve just done?”

The reptilian ticked her head to the side, “Yes, I’ve assaulted and illegally detained an officer.” She looked at Ashley, “It is not too late for you and your son to stay here. I would not hold it against you.”

Wenera smirked, “In for a penny; in for a pound.”

“What does that mean?”

The human doctor assumed the helm, “It means let’s get going. I have a feeling we’ll need all the head start we can get.”

14. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Somehow I think they're going to have a LOT less lead time than 20 hours...

And they really ARE taking their kids. I can kind of see the rationale with Zo'Kala, given that she is almost an adult and you've stated before that Arkonians believe it's OK to expose their children to more dangerous circumstances at a younger age. But Wenera surprises me, to be honest.

(I know my own main Starfleet character, Spirodopoulos, refuses to entertain the thought of his family joining him in space...and it's not sexism--he would want to do the same if their positions were reversed, and stay home with their children.)

15. CeJay

I love the plain boldness of this duo, specifically Zo'Kama's. She's just not going to be deterred. This ship stealing episode is right up there with Kirk's infamous hijacking of the Enterprise.

As for Wenera taking her little child with her. I think we have to chalk that one up to either extremely lousy or extremely hands-on parenting.

16. Dnoth

Though Wenera is not my character, I seem to think see is of the mind set that all the universe is dangerous and no matter how much you may want to shelter your child from it, you can't. She's made peace with that fact and figures the safest place for Coby is right next to her.

I'm not going to label that philosophy good or bad, but that's my take on it.

At any rate, it makes for an interesting added element for the story!
    ;)

CHAPTER 10

Stardate: 54293.8 (29 Aug 2377)
    USS Kitzingen, Briefing Room
    En Route to Arbazan System

The Briefing room on Norway class ships was on deck one. Unlike Galaxy class ships, the large, arching room was set forward of the bridge. The stars streaked by as the ship traveled several multiples beyond light-speed.

“Now that we’re underway,” began Captain Musgrave as he rounded the polished oak conference table, “I can tell you our mission and why we’re pushing the engines so hard.” He found his seat, sat, and faced his division heads. “We need to be in the Arbazan system 16 days from now; which means keeping the warp engines steady at 9.5 for the duration.”

A Bynar pair acted as co-chief’s of engineering. More accurately, though, they were something akin to conjoined twins, since individuals didn’t really exist in their society. The Bynars had become a type of cyborg; linked together in pairs in order to function. Physically, they were smaller than humans. Their heads were enlarged with a single exposed implant near their temple. Their skin was a purplish gray. Both displayed the rank of Lieutenant Commander. The one on the right began, in their normal rushed speech, “Maintaining warp 9.5 for such an extended amount of time…” The other cut in, “…is not recommended, sir. The warp plasma coolant…” The right one finished, “…would not have sufficient time to recycle and cool to proper levels.”

Commander J’ro Ewm leaned in with her dark milky eyes, “Could we do something to enhance the cooling process?”

Tang piped up as the Bynars were communicating to each other in a high-frequency sound, “Sir, we could run the coolant through a Bose-Einstein condensate. We could use super-cooled helium. That would help.”

The twins stopped communication, “We agree…the lieutenant’s suggestion is…the best course of action for now.”

“All right, then,” said Musgrave. “Start on that when we’re done here.”

Two simultaneous “Aye sir” came from the pair.

The captain continued the briefing, “As many of you know, Arbazan is one of the most core-ward Federation planets. We are not, by far, the closest ship. They requested me, because I helped their government a few years back.”

Ensign Sabra Okoro, the African Ops officer, asked, “Why sixteen days, sir? What’s the rush?”

“Because Ensign, in sixteen days an unknown vessel will reach their system. They’ve tried hailing it without success. To make matters worse, the Arbazans have little in the way of planetary defenses.”

“With respect, sir,” commented the Coridan, “Why send us? If this unknown is hostile, there are better equipped ships to handle it.” His voice was slightly distorted through his faceplate.

“It goes back to my history with the Arbazans, Lieutenant,” replied the captain without malice. “They want me to make first contact with this unknown and hopefully resolve the situation peacefully.” He added, “If I can’t, there will be two other starships in the area on hot standby.”

Musgrave glanced around the table, “Are there any other questions?” His eyes settled on his two new officers. “Of course, where are my manners?” He gestured to them, “If you haven’t met them already, this is our new CMO, Lieutenant Zwen, and science officer Tang.” Musgrave introduced the rest of the crew. He started with the Evoran, “Cadet Bolar back there is on loan to us from the academy.”

The short statured female nodded her head in greeting.

Then, the captain went to the dark-skinned human woman, “Ensign Okoro had the fortune – or misfortune – of getting her first posting with us.”

She smiled and said, “No comment, sir.”

“Good decision,” he jibed, “These are our chief engineers. Their true names are 010011...” He though a moment, “…and 101100, right?”

“The designations were correct…” started one. “But,” continued the other, “I am 010011 and he is 101100.”

“Ah, I stand corrected,” commented the captain, “Luckily, they tolerate being called ‘Zero’ and ‘One’ or if you want to address both of them, call them ‘Zerone.’”

Musgrave continued, “The man behind the iron mask is Lieutenant Ishok.”

Ishok corrected him light-heartedly, “We’ve been through this, sir. It’s not iron.”

The captain grinned and raised his hands in a mock apology, “Sorry, sorry.” He gestured to the Ariolo, “And this is Commander Ewm. She’ll be keeping you in line from now on.”

The leathery-skinned humanoid said dryly, “Indeed.”

He finished, “Welcome to the team Lieutenants Tang and Zwen.”

They both said, “Thank you, sir.”

The human with long, whitening hair looked around a second time, “I think that takes care of all the official business for now. But before I let you go, I want you all to know my wife will be starting up her tai chi chuan classes again tomorrow morning.” He looked to his new officers, “You’re more than welcome to attend, but don’t feel any pressure.”

Tang spoke up, “I’d like to, sir. My family used to practice tai chi everyday when I was growing up. Though, I haven’t done it in years.”

“Sounds great,” the captain said with genuine pleasure. “We’ll see you there.” He addressed the room one last time, “Ok, I’m done. Dismissed.”

Supplemental
    USS Kitzingen, Turbolift One
    En Route to Arbazan System

Tang and Zwen entered the aft turbolift together after the briefing.

The Trill spoke first, “Deck eight.”

“Deck Three,” ordered Tang.

As the lift began its decent, Ashana asked, “So what do you know of the Arbazans?”

The Asian searched his memory, “Standard humanoids…I do remember hearing a rumor that they are a very sexually repressed species.”

She laughed softly, “Coming from a human, that’s saying a lot.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Zwen elaborated, “Well, at least compared to Trill, humans are very…reserved, sexually.”

Tang felt the need to defend his race, “Not necessarily.”

The Trill got a mischievous gleam in her eye, “Oh?” The petite brunette woman glided closer to him. Her voice lowered. It had just a hint of sensuality, “So if I lean in to kiss you…” which she began to do.

Zian instinctively took a step back.

“See?” She said; all pretence in her voice gone. “Sexually reserved.”

The science officer was speechless. Inside he was kicking himself. “But…see…no…I was just…”

“Just what?” she pressed too innocently.

The lift stopped at deck three and the door slid open.

Still not having found a proper defense for himself, he slowly headed to the exit. He did manage, “I’ll…see you later.”

She smiled as the lift door closed again, “Ok.”

17. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Chapter 10 introduces us to an eclectic crew and a curious mission and circumstance for it too. Tang has a lot to get use to here.

Then we have our doctors without orders - I mean borders! - taking very bold moves to complete their mission of mercy. It's a bold and reckless move, especially given that there is more at work here than first appears complicated only more by the fact that they are taking their children with them. Regrets could be all around by the time this ends.

18. CeJay

Looks like Zwen has her eyes on Tian. Too bad our shy lieutenant is a little too awkward for his own good. I'm looking forward to see if this goes anywhere.

And I like this crew which is about to face an unknown situation. Those are the best. Never know what's going to happen.

19. Dnoth

Thanks everybody for your continued patronage. It's always fun to create a new crew.

CHAPTER 11

Stardate: 54296.7 (30 Aug 2377)
    Runabout Banda
    En Route to the H’Kan System

It had been ten hours since the Danube class vessel left Starbase 17. Escaping their parameter proved to be easier than either of them assumed. It was a good sign that no one was looking for them, yet.

The doctors managed to impel to engines to speed up to warp 5.22, but the H’Kan System was still 50 hours away. The craft was on autopilot. Coby was taking a nap in one of the cramped cabins. Zo’Kala was in the cockpit, hopefully not messing around with the controls.

Wenera and Zo’Kama were in the aft compartment. Their impromptu science lab had been fully established. The Vuke cadaver was on a table in the center of the room. The bulkheads were lined with various medical equipment, displays, and scanners.

The Arkonian examined a screen that had been hastily leaned up on a bench near the aft of the ship, “The computer is having difficulty distinguishing the virus DNA from the host’s.”

“Not a problem,” commented the human. She reached inside an already opened container and retrieved a handheld device, “I’ll just use a detronal scanner and manually input the sequences.” She hovered the device over the dead Vuke. It emitted a ray of soft red light.

The Vuke themselves were physically an interesting species. They looked like something that might have evolved from velociraptor-type dinosaurs had they not been wiped out on Earth 71 million years ago. This particular specimen was male. The reptilian skin was surprisingly smooth and consisted of various shades of green. The head was crowned with long, brown and black feathers. The eyes were cat-like.

Wenera asked as she continued to scan, “Are there any significant differences among the Vuke population?”

The other doctor responded, “Yes. The females are much more colorful.”

She laughed at the observation.

Zo’Kama joined her in a giggle as she realized the miscommunication. She elaborated, “No, I mean that literally. Females have tan scales similar to mine and their plumage is much more colorful. Their feathers are a combination of reds, blues, yellows, and purples.”

“It sounds like they’re quite beautiful. It’s a shame they’re so hostile.”

“There is more,” the Arkonian informed her, “According to the Vuke I worked with, the royal line actively manipulates their genome to produce golden scales with white plumage. It is a supposed sign of their divinity.”

“Interesting.”

Zo’Kama spun on her stool to face Ashley. “Commander Wenera, I want to thank you for…sticking with me. It was more than I would have expected.”

She finished scanning and began to upload the information, “Well, to tell you the truth, this isn’t the first time Starfleet Command and I haven’t seen eye to eye.” She sat on another stool, “…and call me Jane. I always liked my middle name more than my first.”

“Very well, Jane.” She tapped on the display a few times. Then, returned to her counterpart, “So how did you come to be critical of Command?”

The question caused Jane to go silent. She examined the deck for several seconds.

The Arkonian backpedaled, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bring up unpleasant memories.”

“No,” she said, “No, it’s alright. Just a lot happened there.”

“Where?”

“Have you ever heard of a planet called Tiaita?”

The reptilian ticked her head to the left, indicating ‘no.’

Wenera wasn’t quite sure what the gesture meant, but she continued, “Starfleet made a deal with their so-called government three years ago. The Tiaitans had just barely achieved warp drive. But what was worse, they were pretty much in the middle of fighting a bloody civil war between the ruling class and a serf class which barely enjoyed any rights whatsoever. A great number of people in Starfleet conveniently turned a blind eye to all that.”

“This was during the war?” observed Zo’Kama.

“That’s right,” she confirmed. “At the time, Starfleet appeared more interested in securing an ally against the Dominion and get their hands on more resources than taking notice of the plight of millions of subjugated inhabitants.” She looked at the Indy doctor with fire in her eyes, “We were at war. Helping those who needed our help the most was not tactically advantageous. So we made a deal with the devil instead.”

The other doctor allowed a silence. It seemed appropriate.

Jane continued, “I stopped being so…unquestioning after Tiaita.” She seemed to travel light-years away for several moments. Finally, she snapped herself out of it, “So what about you? When did you start looking at Starfleet with a critical eye?”

“I’m sure part of it is that I received my doctorate from a civilian university. I only joined Starfleet afterwards and even then, I was assigned to the Vulcan Medical Academy for five years.”

“Really,” she asked with a grin, “I got my doctorate from the University of Sydney. I guess we both joined Starfleet at a relatively late age. The indoctrination must not have been quite as effective on us.”

“Apparently not,” agreed Zo’Kama.

20. CeJay

Well, we knew what was driving Zo'Kama to pulling the crazy stunt she did but you did a great job of showing us why Wenera signed-on to this as well. She is understandingly weary of Starfleet polices.