Spoiler? who here has read the good that men do?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by KimMH, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Penguin

Penguin Commander Red Shirt

Hopeful romantic. that was kind and thoughtful of you to find that site. I have used the link and bookmarked the site.

It will be very usefull in future.

thanks again so much.

2. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I also think it would've been canon to do so. Although, I suspect the author loves the character and that's why he felt it necessary to assassinate the other characters in order to build Trip up.

3. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Yep, I suspect that all this TGTMD business is just one big "Trip Tucker Cult" conspiracy. Those evil bastards should have just left him rest in peace, and not make an undead zombie out of him. And they should have left TATV alone, cause it is canon! Hallowed be the almighty canon!

(Come on Commie, just admit it already, you frellin' hate Trip Tucker's ass! :lol:)

4. commodore64

I don't hate Trip. I just hate undeserved butt kissing from someone who's supposed to be a professional, someone so insistent on kissing butt he destroys other characters in Trip's wake.

To me, Trip is a mostly competent engineer who lacks occasionally experience (like decisions he makes - Cogenitor for example), a funny/easy going guy (i.e., keep your shirt on), a social guy (probably the most social of the characters), a Southerner (since I'm a Southerner, no offense meant) and the McCoy character. I don't think he's a dreamboat, the hero, the guy all women or men should fall in love with or a scientific genius.

I think he's a mere mortal with flaws that make him irritating at times, lovable at times and human.

Edit: I'm editing this to denote my intention is to mean the writer's opinions of Trip.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. Penguin

Commodore64. How are you mylady?

Your last sentence in your last post.

Were you talking about Trip or Archer. that sentence seemed to fit Archer quite well.

Always nice to hear another Trip Fan ( I mean Mach5)

Me, I love Trip and dislike Archer. but I am assured that I have a right to post that opinion on this board.

6. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

You certainly do, Penguin.

But as has been indicated to you before, merely stopping by to declare something like "Archer sux!" or "Trip rulez!!" and moving on, without connecting your statement to the topic at hand (in this instance, The Good That Men Do) or providing some sort of explanation to support your opinion, you're not really contributing substatively to the discussion.

7. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

But his achievements in The Expanse do suggest he's a genius, don't they?

One more thing... TGTMD was meant to be a TATV fix, and I think it worked pretty well as such, but there was this small thingy that always bothered me but went unfixed.

In TATV, it was established that Trip learned about engines (and 'warp theory') not in school, but on ships, firsthand. I find that pretty insulting, not just to the Trip character (who apparently never went to colledge), but also to countles people who went through hell to earn their degree in mechanical engineering.

The M&M's should have addressed this (during the show's run, I always believed that Trip at least had a masters degree, if not a Ph.D, and somehow he ended up being a grease monkey).

8. commodore64

^ Meh, that didn't really bother me. I think practical knowledge is so much better than theory. In English, there's an saying that those who don't know teach. Those who live in the world of academia live in that world as opposed to the world of applied knowledge. And I say that coming from a long line of teachers. For example, my husband is a Unix System Admin and has been doing this for years. My uncle is a PhD in computer science. My husband is much more knowledgeable about computers. Any time my uncle tried to fix my computer, he'd mess it up.

No. I think it shows he knows a thing or two, but I never got genius out of it.

9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I'm shocked :lol:

Hmm, but running the engineering on a warp capable starship is not exactly like 'pimping rides' in West Coast Customs, now is it?
    ("warp core" - not to be mistaken for a "V12-turbo")

Of course it takes years of practice to become a good engineer, but if practice is all it takes, then why the hell am I wasting time studying structural engineering when I can go to Bechtel and ask them to take me in for apprenticeship. :)

We have that saying too (here, at the savage Balkans), but I only partially agree with it. For example, most of my professors are accomplished engineers (though some of them actually suck at teaching :lol:)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  10. commodore64

Years ago, knowing how to fix a computer was only done by engineers. Now, pretty much anyone can do so. Years ago, programmers had to learn a standard, archane language to do so. Now, pretty much anyone can do it.

I assume progress has been made by Trip's time. I also saw him in Starfleet and assumed he got in because he *knew* stuff rather than had been taught stuff.

11. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Computers are consumer products, and such products need to be user friendly. A warp core, however, is an energy reactor in which matter and anti-matter collide to produce insane amounts of energy needed in order to bend (warp) space around the starship.

Now, engineering consoles may be user-friendly on ships like the "Raven" (24. century, Hansens' ship), but on the Earths first submarine-looking Warp-5 rust bucket? Doubtful.

BTW, your user-friendly theory kinda trashes that "Wesley Crusher - the warp field Mozart" idea, doesn't it? Wesley was never really a prodigy, he was just a geeky kid who knew stuff, right?

12. HopefulRomantic

And this is relevant to The Good That Men Do because...why?

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Hey, I'm trying to prove a point here - point relevant to TATV and therefore to TGTMD (I'm so sensing a 'clang' here :lol:)

14. HopefulRomantic

If you're referring to your original post expressing your dissatisfaction with the book's failure to address Trip's "college dropout" status in TATV, I'm not seeing the connection between that and Wesley Crusher reference above.

There is A) topic drift, and B) straying so far afield that the original subject isn't even in sight anymore. Wesley is a solid B).

Moreover, you have switched from addressing a post to confronting the poster directly, which puts you on shaky ground. It's time to back away.

15. Penguin

In the Book TGTMD after Trip is convinced by reed to join Section 31 he is assigned to infiltrate a romulan warm 7 drive Program to learn how far it has advanced to steal any plans if it is completed and to sabotage the program if he can.

that takes a good deal of knowledge on his part so he would have to know Warp Engines and Warp theory.

One question is how do you learn? You are taught. So Trip had to have been taught Warp engines. and that take ssome kind of schooling even if it is an OJT program. but more likely a university program.

Anyway, he does infiltate the romulan Program and is an assistant to the Romulan perfecting the Warp 7 drive. Trip is so good that the man has come to rely on him.

that takes a lot of knowledge.

doubt if Trip came across this knowledge by acccident. He had to be taught it.

anyway the book certainly shows that Trip is a very good Warp engineer even if he isn't the best of covert ooperatives.