Spoiler? who here has read the good that men do?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by KimMH, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked How Trip was written in the Good that Men do and how his story is continued in Kobayashi Maru. I liked how Trip and T'pol's storylines together and apart were written in both books.The Romulan intrigue is something that is really handled well in the latest book. Trip's journey of being a spy on Romulas and being deep undercover and how they dealt with alot of unexpected twists and turns without spoiling the book for those who haven't read it yet.It's worth reading to see how his story continues and the events leading up to the Earth / Romulan war continues. I can't wait for the next book to come out.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    True. But even TOS and TNG novels have their occasional Geordi or Worf story to tell and they sold in decent numbers.

3. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Maybe so, but the whole point of TGTMD was to fix TATV, right? How would leaving Trip out fix anything?

4. cooleddie74

Well, it's a given these novels are a big apology for "TATV." But I imagine even if they weren't and Trip weren't the main character they'd sell decently. The ones focusing on T'Pol, Hoshi and Malcolm while the show was still on the air turned enough dough to make the continuation of the line possible.

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, it could be an Enterprise story without Trip IMO. Though it wasn't quite an ensemble cast, there were still several main cast members besides Trip to choose from. From my recollection, both Hoshi and Travis have gotten the spotlight in recent novels and they didn't stop being considered "Enterprise" because of it.

Trip by far became the favorite of the writers and since he got the most development, coupled with Trinnear's engaging portrayal, the favorite of many fans. I'm not sure if he was the most popular though. I guess we would have to do a poll. I think a lot of people liked T'Pol and Shran too. And there are some Archer fans out there as well. And small pockets of Hoshi, Travis, Reed, and Phlox fans. Without the Trip crutch it forces the writers to flesh out the rest of the characters, and for the most part I liked Martin and Mangels work with Archer, T'Pol, and Travis in LFM, TGTMD and Kobyashi Maru. It might even be better without Trip sucking up most of the storyline oxygen.

Despite the suckitude of TATV, it might have been a braver choice to write books without Trip-the tentpole/franchise character-instead. I think T'Pol, with her background in intelligence and being a Vulcan of course could've done the same job Trip did without the convulted backstory, with a little tweaking of the storyline.

I've enjoyed the Romulan intrigue in both TGTMD and Kobayashi Maru. However, the buildup to the Romulan War wasn't what I expected-and not in a good way. That being said, I'm curious to read the Romulan War book coming out regardless.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Like this one? :)

7. Lady Conqueror

Lady Conqueror Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How do they deal with the fact that humans don't know what Romulans look like in TOS time if Trip is undercover on Romulas (wouldn't he see them and report back that they look just like Vulcans?)

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Well, the solution to that problem feels a little forced, but honestly, I've always found the idea of a major war being waged with opposite sides never seeing each others faces pretty stupid and naive in the first place.

Trip knows, Section 31 knows, Archer and T'Pol know, and they all agree to keep a secret because if the truth about the Romulan/Vulcan connection came out, the general trust in Vulcan's would be jeopardized, and the Coalition (Earth, Vulcan, Tellar, Andoria) which barely holds itself together anyway, would be compromised.

9. Penguin

Penguin Commander Red Shirt

Lined up "The romulan War"

Got my local Library to order the book and I will be first inlie when it is
    delivered in October.

So, won't have to buy the book nor wait in line at the Library.

Wish Like Hell it was on an audio book I could Pirate it.

10. cooleddie74

Connor Trinneer should do the audiobooks of these novels. I imagine that would give endless orgasms to some in here.:lol:

11. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

How about...
    Bakula does Archer's lines, Blalock T'Pol's, CT Trip's, Bilingsley Phlox's and so on, with (let's say) Dean Stockwell doing the narration?

I suppose it would be a pure tantric experience to many. :lol:

12. cooleddie74

That'd work! It'd keep most of us in a weird rapture for days if not weeks. The visits to these boards would drop by 10% or more!

13. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Given all the Trek authors who post on this board, you may want to rethink making statements like this.

14. Penguin

Penguin Commander Red Shirt

Do any of them have stories on audio?

I am a poor thief, Cannot afford audio boooks.

Actually some Libraries allow a person to copy an Audio book as long as it is only one copy and the person copying the book does not try to profit from it.

I have anumber of them that I was permited to copy.

My eyesight is not the best so Audio is preferable.

Granted I can check them out of the library but the Library has limited funds so their Audio book sel4ection is also limited.

One of my great passions is reading in one way or the other. Written word on paper or spoken word on Audio.

15. MajorReed

MajorReed Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It reminds me of Spock vs. Q audio drama. It would be epic.

16. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

The National Library Service provides free books in Braille and audio for the blind or visually impaired. I did a search in their Talking Books Topics for "Star Trek" and 205 books came up. I scanned the first 20, and several recent Trek novels were among them.

17. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

it might be one of the reasons why the fact that he is alive is being kept secret.
    someone may not like it that it could be proven that there is a connection between romulans and vulcans.

personally i always had issues with it.
    long before enterprise.
    there would have been bodies spaced out of ships during battles.

so it is easier to me to imagine a cover up was done .
    possibly so as not to embaress vulcan and not to alienate humans from them when the powers that be wanted to see the federation formed.

18. Lady Conqueror

Lady Conqueror Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks Mach5 and pookha - I do agree that it is kind of silly to think the Romulan war happened without anybody seeing the Romulans faces but that's what they said in TOS so it had to be dealt with.

19. Hoshi's sis

Hoshi's sis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Things like that don't really bother me as I'm not really interested in all the cannon issues. If its enteraining and I find it interesting, then I'm happy.
    I found The Good that men do to be all that.:techman:

20. cooleddie74

I don't treat significant parts of FEDERATION(1994) as canon either. Not after FIRST CONTACT was filmed and the Cochrane backstory was fleshed out in a much different fashion. But it still has elements I think of as proto/quasi-canon in my own mind and that's how I look at TGTMD. Not canon per se...but good enough to be proto/quasi-canon in my eyes. It works for me.