Spock and Uhura [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Professor Moriarty, May 8, 2009.

1. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

I'm glad to hear that Takei was an inspiration to you and your brother! I really think that there is just about someone on the bridge that most people can identify with...except JJ Abrams...he said that he couldn't relate to anyone....so I guess if they had a jewish guy on the bridge then he could of??? I'm sorry...I'm digressing....
    I'm a white female, so I can't exactly relate.....but even I appreciated that aspect of the show as a child and hoped that this is how our future could be. My dad was pretty racist and prejudiced...but I knew he was wrong...even when I was a kid I knew my dad's way of thinking was wrong! And I saw Trek as proof that he was wrong and that one day we can over come this.

What do you think about Sulu's role in the nuTrek? Would you of liked to see him do a little more or are you just happy that he's there at all?

2. Nebula1400

Nebula1400 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What Sulu had in NuTrek was more than he usually had on TOS! It wasn't till Star Trek VI, when they made him the captain of the Excelsior, that he had much of substance to do. Unfortunately, my brother didn't live to see that.

As for Jewish characters, we always knew that both Shatner and Nimoy are Jewish, and there weren't any roles more prominent than theirs on TOS, so my Jewish father was happy! Walter Koenig is also Jewish, so they accounted for the majority of white males in the cast.

3. Ashramsgrl

Ashramsgrl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I honestly think that Sulu may have accomplished as much as Geroge Kirk did, in roughly the same amount of time, but with a happier and safer result.

I really think the movie took place in some kind of real time. All the events up to the Black Hole took maybe 2 hrs and in that time Sulu delayed take off to Vulcan saved the entire ship and everyone on it, he saved the Jellyfish with Spock on it, and he also saved (and got saved) by Kirk on the platform.

Phew, poor guy needs a vacation.

4. Nebula1400

He did do a lot of life-saving in the movie! He got to use his sword for something practical this time around, and he informed people on the bridge that Pike made Kirk First Officer. The beauty of the movie was that everybody in it had their moment(s) to shine.

5. seven14

seven14 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thank you Aashlee!!

So many on this board, do not want even half of what we saw in this first movie regarding Uhura and Spock pairing to be repeated again in the sequeal, but I really want to see more of these two characters....I think my feelings are clear if past posts are read, but I really hope they find some way to build Uhura's character up more while continuing to show S/U in a loving relationship.

I'm interested in knowing more about the beginning of this relationship...attraction was mutual I'm sure, but I would think Spock would be a little intimidating to approach...Oh well, I am sure this is the realm of imagination and fanfic, just wondering if the book would have delved more into the background of this relationship that I just really enjoyed.

6. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

The character doesn't have to be from your own ethnicity to relate to it... Does it?

I'm mixed race, American Indian & Ashkenazi Jewish. I related to Spock. Not because Nimoy was Jewish, but because Spock was caught between two worlds, just like I was.

7. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

Death and funerals can be times when reaffirmation of life and seeking the comfort of attachment figures is sought, especially when the lost figure is a significant attachment figure... if that makes sense.

8. Nebula1400

Of course not. At this moment, I can totally relate to NuUhura and her attraction to Spock - and except for being female, I have no other physical features or heritage in common with her.

9. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I know that and you know that, but it looks like Cakes doesn't quite get that...

10. Aurelia Nyota

Aurelia Nyota Ensign Newbie

I wanted to see this movie because it looked good, not because I was in love with Star Trek. I knew nothing about the original series or even who these characters were. I went to see the movie expecting a good time. I got that and more. This movie is the reason I went back and watched the original series. I loved that too. I just finished with the next generation. Data, Riker, Bones and Spock are by far my favorite four characters.

That being said, I want to comment on Spock's relation with Uhura in the movie; since damn near everyone and their mom has by this point...

It didn't come as a complete shock to me as it did to many other fans because, like I said, I never saw any of the original episodes. I considered the relationship to be very tastefully done. The first hint of implied romance was in the hanger right before everyone went their seperate ways to their assigned ships. Something tells me that with Spock's mention of "appearence of favortism" that people knew Spock favored Uhura above other. The double look he did, checking to see if anyone was watching, most likely implied to us, the audience, that this relationship is to be kept secret, for obvious reasons. Think back to Leo and Piper, if you will. Use that as an example I guess.

When I watched the movie for the second time, I could see Spock's eyes moisten when he was sitting in the command chair on the bridge, right after his mother died and Vulcan was destroyed. My guess, and I hope I'm not alone in this, is that he felt he needed to leave before anyone saw his display of emotions. But Uhura, being so obviously connected to him, noticed. She followed. Alone in the turbo lift, they were allowed to be more open, more vulnerable. Because at this point in the film, Spock's heart is very broken. He enjoys her comfort and takes pleasure in it. She wants to be there for him because, while she may not have lost a parent [we actually never know if her parents are still alive or not] she knows he is going through a hard time. The way this scene was done was so beautiful and romantic. It allowed the audience to know that she really did love him, and he trusted her with everything he was. His mind, his body, his soul, and definitly his heart.

Now the transporter room scene...

I must say, I found this scene rather adorable. It was also a tear jerker because we, as the audience, and Spock as well, knew he was going on a suicidal mission. He wanted to be able to give her hope. She needed that. And the way he was holding her so tenderly just made my heart melt. It was very romantic, which I believe Spock to be underneath all that Vulcan logic. I believe this scene to be done very tastefully where it didn't betray the original charactistics of Spock, where it allowed us to see his humanity around someone like Uhura. I also believe that his father's admission of love for Amanda opened Spock's eyes to realize he loved Uhura.

When he and Kirk were on the Jellyfish and he said "If I do not return, please tell Lieutenant Uhura..." I knew he was going to say "..please tell her that I love her." And Kirk stopped him because he knew it too. He didn't want to go back to the Enterprise and give Spock's message to Uhura. He didn't want to see her upset. He didn't want Spock to give up. So in a way... he's rooting for them, now knowing that she will never accept him as anything more than a friend or her captain.

I know there will be people out there to say I'm wrong and that's their opinion but I stand firm with mine. This is how I feel. I'm curious to see what people will say to it.

I am currently writing a couple fanfictions, mostly involving Spock and Uhura. Go to www.fanfiction.net under the Movies>>Star Trek: 2009 section.

BTW...this is my first time posting on this forum.:techman:

[​IMG]

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Welcome to the fun! :techman:

12. Aurelia Nyota

Thank you. How do I add an avatar or a signature like everyoine else?

13. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

YES! i'd like to add my voice to the welcome! :)

14. Aurelia Nyota

I feel so loved :vulcan:

15. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

:)AURELIA NYOTA, i believe you have to either be here for a certain period of time and/or have to have a certain amount of posts under your belt before you can have an avatar/signature. Not positive....if you go to the top of the page where it says User CP and you click on that, it might give you more information. There is a FAQ section you should check out as well. :)

16. M'Sharak

For the signature, click on "User CP" at the upper left, then look down the left-hand side to where it says "Edit Signature". For the avatar, you'll need to wait a couple of weeks, and that's explained here.

17. Aurelia Nyota

Thank you. I know I've said this before but I'm writing a couple Spock and Uhura fics on fanfiction.net if anyone if interested in checking them out. My pen name is BohemianDragQueen

18. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nimoy had a fair bit to do with the Vulcan culture, and in fact my wife and I joke that the planet Vulcan was in fact the "Planet Israel" in a few ways. ;)

* Obviously, the Vulcan greeting symbol is a Rabbinic blessing.
    * More than a bit of the "priestly culture" of Vulcan seems to have some elements of ancient Hebrew culture and Kabbalistic mysticism
    * The Vulcan language as evidenced briefly in Star Trek II has a slight Middle Eastern lilt to it.

Hmmm...I wonder what that says about JJ Abrams and Alan Kurtzman for destroying Vulcan in this movie? ;)

Very cool background! I think most Jews raised in religious households outside of Israel feel caught between two worlds, the traditions of our culture and the seduction of complete assimilation into the society around them, which also helps us relate to Spock.

19. M'Sharak

I might do that. You could also put a link to them in your signature -- quite a few of the fic writers here do that, you'll notice -- and if you haven't already done so, you might want to check out the Fan Fiction forum and see if you want to post or link to your stories there, for feedback from other fic writers and readers.

An interesting question, yes. One could probably get a whole lot of psychoanalytical mileage out of it, were one so inclined.

20. Aurelia Nyota

I think I might start a fanfiction thread. I'd be interested to see how many respond to it.