Spoilers Spider-Man: No Way Home - Review and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by thribs, Dec 15, 2021.

?

Your rating?

1. A* (Amazing)

25 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. A

26 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. B+

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. B

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. F (Inferior)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally saw the movie last night. We had planned on seeing it opening weekend and then the whole family got sick, and we were so busy the last couple of months we couldn't schedule family movie night.

It was a highly enjoyable movie--and I liked how it took its time to meander a little in different directions as that really served to flesh out the characters and gave it more of the feeling of a comic book style story. It was nice that Peter has a chance to grow and mature, and demonstrate an understanding of "great responsibility" and sacrifice. Even though we were at home, I made a point of cheering for Charlie Cox when he appeared. I certainly hope we do get more Tom Holland movies in the future, although it would also be really great to see McGuire in a series with May Parker as I've seen others wish for. Andrew Garfield was more fun here than he was in either of his original appearances.

2. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Finally saw this last night, actually "bought" a UHD copy on Amazon. All in all, it didn't disappoint. Story flowed and made good use of all the characters. Had a huge grin on my face while watching 3 Spidermen on screen. Was worth the $20 it cost me. Will watch again.. 8.5/10 Recommended.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw this film on Friday night and thought I would say some more in depth details.

First of all, to me, this film is one of the best Marvel outputtings since the original Avengers. It did well in pulling in a coherent reason for the multiverse incursions, as well as Peter's struggles with the fallout of Mysterio's actions. Holland injects a lot of personality in to Peter struggling with what to do. The cast all work well off of each other, including Dr. Strange whom I am always glad to see.

Was disappointed Murdock wasn't in there more. His one scene was great. Was disappointed by the sheer number of villians, but the film managed to balance a lot of it well. The Lizard was probably one villain too many.

Teared up a number of times, but especially when Andrew Garfield's Peter saved M.J. That one hit the hardest, along with May's death.

What few disappointments I had were largely minor.

8/10.

Commander Troi and ichab like this.
  4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Thinking about it more now I wish this movie was more of a ensemble movie than just Holland. Would have been nice to see Garfield and Maguire in their universes before they came over, and a little afterwards. I was never the biggest fan of Holland’s spider man so those scenes at the beginning aren’t as good as later on.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  5. fireproof78

My wife gave me a hard time but I gushed a bit and was saddened he didn't have more.

But, Holland was great throughout and made up the difference, as well as his exchanges with Cumberbatch. Dr. Strange is fast becoming my favorite Marvel character, thanks to Cumberbatch.

6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I didn't really like the movie untill the other Spiderman's showed up.

7. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why did Dr Octopus run away at the top of the second act and hide until later?

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

because he really needed to go to the toilet but it was octopied.

9. CommanderTrip

CommanderTrip Captain Captain

I enjoyed this immensely in theatres (Saw in 4XD and it was a blast!). It was great seeing Peter 1 and Peter 2 as well as the villains. Story was good. I am however incredibly disappointed (although not surprised) that Sony has opted not to release a 3D blu ray copy as they have for Homecoming and FFH.

It's a shame, because I managed to build quite the MCU 3D library stretching from Captain America: the First Avenger/Thor up to Black Widow. (Shang Chi and Eternals are next on my list)

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

What I would have liked to see would have been a couple of scenes in the middle of the movie of Spider-Man saving people from this or that in Manhattan (ie., a type of scene we'd seen in the Maguire and Garfield films), a quick cut type scene where we don't get a clear look at Spider-Man, JJ gets to rant about it on his web show, that leads the audience to think it's Holland, but we discover later that these scenes were Garfield or Maguire when they're wandering around New York looking for Holland.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I wish we could have seen the 3 Spider-men swing around New York to the statue of Liberty instead of cutting away to them already there.

I guess that would invalidate the epic swing scene later when they finally work together.

Also I had a question for anyone that has indepth comic knowledge. Who would still be able to remember Peter Parker's identity even after Strange cast the spell?

Madame Web?
    Wanda?

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Morlun, obviously. I'm not sure about Wanda -- I think the spell would affect her -- but Madame Web is a good bet for remembering, too, at least on an unconscious level.

13. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Watched it again last night and I was wondering...Did all the video footage from Jameson and Mysterio disappear as well? I know everyone's memories were wiped of Peter Parker, but what about social media and the internet?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The way I interpreted the spell was that Mysterio never learned about Peter.

15. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would have to be, otherwise it would be pretty pointless. This would also explain why MJ and the others couldn't just record a video for themselves.

16. fireproof78

I imagine it was pretty much everything, including any social media posts.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Probably not disappear so much as altered. After all JJJ is still harping on about Spider-Man at the end of the movie, so at the very least the fact that Beck tried to pin the attack on him is still a thing, he just didn't out Peter (I mean he did in the sense it still happened, but the memories and records of the event no longer reflect it.) Indeed in that particular case, the only difference would be that his video just cuts out before he says Peter's name.

Given that we're dealing with magic here, best to just assume that as with the infinity gauntlet's "un-snapping", the spell just worked out all the details, one way or another. It's also safe to assume that the spell itself uses the same reality altering chaos magic that made the Westview incident possible. I mean Wanda didn't consciously transform a hazmat suit into a bee keeper outfit, or a drone into a toy helicopter, nor did she redesign Monica's clothing. The spell extrapolated the general intent to achieve the desired outcome.

So every scrap of evidence of Peter's existence in any form was passed through a similar reality filter, each changing according to context.

There are still traces of course, since Mj was still wearing the necklace he gave her, and indeed she still had her injury from the fight; but none of it can be traced back to Peter.

18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

This is now my favorite Marvel movie. There are only a couple of others that are even close competition.

In no particular order:

• Captain America - The First Avenger
    • Shang Chi
    • Far From Home
    • Black Panther.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

It's that time of year again and the Spideys are not happy about not getting nominated:

dupersuper and Starkers like this.
  20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral