Speak with an Accent do you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JonathonWally, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Commodore Commodore

I don't but everyone else does.;)

2. bod

bod Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a scottish accent. Specifically it's a soft Edinburgh accent which has a lyrical quality to it. I wouldn't have known about the lyrical bit, but for other people pointing it out. I kind of drag out the syllables of the last word in each sentence.

'oh aye, I dooooo'

3. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Anyone who sounds remotely like Billy Connelly is alright by me. :D

4. Searider Falcon

Searider Falcon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a coworker whose father was a German immigrant that was tutored in English by a Mexican immigrant. He spoke English with a Mexican-Spanish accent, lol.

A friend of mine from California says I sound very typical Midwestern, and some store clerk in New York City actually asked me if I was from Alabama or Georgia, which I'm pretty sure I really don't sound nearly like that (though I seem to start picking it up when I'm there long enough!). My friends say I don't sound quite like everyone else in Southern Indiana. It's probably the influence of my New Englander mother. One quirk that I think I have picked up from living here is my pronunciation of Louisville, which comes out Loo-uh-vull. I had a lot of northern Indiana natives giggle at that any time I uttered it when I was attending Indiana State in Terre Haute. I'd never noticed it before that.

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I grew up in Iowa, and as most Iowans will attest, we honestly believe we have no distinct accent. Especially compared to other midwesterners from Minnesooootah, Mizzourah, or Chicawgo.

That said, having not lived there for years, when I go back to visit I'm actually conscious of how I don't talk "that way" any more. So maybe there is something there to notice. Or there's nothing to notice. Either way.

6. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I was born in the west, my parents were from Colorado and Illinois, I spent a decade growing up in the Deep South and then another decade in the Northeast before moving back to the west. Whatever accent I might have is pretty generic American at this point.
    Same here. I learned to talk and read in the South and so it comes very naturally to me.

7. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently, I mumble. But I'd say my accent is the baseline to which I compare everybody else's.

8. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I apparently speak with a CA accent, dude.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm from Jersey and I surprise many people by not having any accent whatsoever.

RAMA

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i'm from Gloucestershire in England and i have an accent from there. i got teased summat chronic in high school for sounding like a farmer (ooo, arrr, oi'll get me trrrraaaaahteeerrr!!) despite the fact that to my ears i sounded exactly the same as all the other bastards.

i've (oddly) been accussed of having an Aussie accent and a northern one a couple of times...and i've never even BEEN to Australia...

11. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Emmerdale / Coronation Street and/or Neighbours / Home and Away fan?

12. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been told I change accents according to the people I hang out with. I don't do it deliberately. guess it just happens. when I'm with my bro who has a pronounced north jersey accent, mine matches his. when I speak with my dad and mom in English (they're Indian), then I think my English takes on a Bengali-Indian lilt. with my cousins, it's more of a bollywood-ish/fusion/Indian accent. when I'm at work or with friends, it's my usual Jersey/DC/Nova accent mixed in with some convent English (from my youth in India). yeah, pretty much of a hodgepodge, I am.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

nope. not watched Neighbours in nigh on twelve years now. never watched the others. it was just the way i pronounced odd words in work.

i can fake an Aussie accent, but it's a really broad-obviously-fake one. usually littered with 'nah wahhries!' and 'sheberight!' which i got from Sir Terry's The Last Continent

14. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

It's quite a common occurrence - I had a schoolfriend whose accent was Scottish to our friends, but when talking to family she slips effortlessly into a more RP accent.

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I'm French!

'nuff said.

16. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

yeah, and mine changes completely about a week into my visits to India. I grew up there until I was 15. hence why I had no problem accepting Gillian Anderson's English accent once she went back to live there. I think she was brought up in London during her childhood and teenage years.

Madonna's accent OTOH :vulcan:

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Well I have a "Northern" accent, but considering the amount of accents in this country you'd think the southern bastards would just stop saying "northern" as the accent.
    Ah've gorr ah 'Ull accent... I suppose it's a Yorkshire accent, but isn't as broad as some other Yorkshire accents, but apparently more nasally... and we pronounce five and nine strangely. So I'm told, not that I've ever noticed.

18. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

So, basically, you're saying: Why else would you speak with that OUT-raaaaGOUS accent! :D

Anyway, my accent is pretty typical English Canadian. Fairly flat\neutral sounding overall, with a lot of "eh?"s mixed in.

I don't say "aboot", though. :p

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

lol I'm just saying American actors who try to impersonate French accent actually try to much and don't sound correct at all. I think they're just impersonating Pepé Le Pew. When we're speaking English, we're worse. :lol:

20. Saumer

Saumer Ensign Red Shirt

Yes, I have a very strong West of Scotland accent. Didn't realise how strong it must be until a friend from Minnesota was over visiting last summer.