SPACED Region 1 release date

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ITL, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

For those who've been after a region 1 release, you only have to wait until July 23rd.

Simon Pegg told Peggster.net on March 23rd:

"We recorded a whole bunch of new Spaced commentaries in Santa Monica yesterday.
    Edgar, Jess and myself, were joined by guest commentators, Kevin Smith, Diablo Cody,
    Quentin Tarantino and Matt Stone. This, together with brand new cover art will hopefully
    sweeten the blow for those completists who already have the region 2."

The above quote and release date were taken from the Spaced Out website.

Also, check out Spaced Out for news of the next Pegg/Wright collaboration....

:D

2. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Omg omg omg omg omg. :D

So does this mean they were able to get clearance for the music after all, or is it changed?

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what's going on with the music clearance issues - the above quote is all I could find! lol

4. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

On Edgar Wright's blog, it looks like they got the music as well.
    I kind of feel dumb importing the UK release, but hey, I'll grab it. :)

5. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm going to get this R1 release just for the new commentaries, and I already have the R2. What can I say - I loves me them commentaries! Pegg and the gang always do great ones, so I really want to hear the new ones with the guests.

6. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Sweet! This is long overdue, to say the least!

And now my friends have absolutely no excuse not to watch this... ;)

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

:techman:

I've only read about this series, but I'm very excited about. Very, very excited.

I loved Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead.

8. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I heard one of the features will be a "pop culture reference" guide. In other words, every time a pcr appears in the show, with this added feature you will be notified of it. I think that's awesome, especially since I had never seen "Robocop" and, when watching with a friend the other day I was told an entire opening sequence is taken from "Robocop". Made me wonder what else I was missing!

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yes! Fantastic news. July can't come soon enough, now.

10. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

The original Season 2 R2 release had a selectable subtitle option that did just that with the PCR's - and with the release of the Collector's Edition one was added to the Season 1 disc as well. It's fun seeing how many you picked up on.

:D

11. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I hereby resurrect this thread to bring you the official press release for the R1 set - taken from peggster.net:

PRESS RELEASE: BBC VIDEO PRESENTS 'SPACED: THE COMPLETE SERIES'

FROM THE CREATORS OF SHAUN OF THE DEAD AND HOT FUZZ COMES THE AWARD-WINNING CULT COMEDY SPACED: THE COMPLETE SERIES

"The one, the only -- Spaced. Accept no substitute"
    Quentin Tarantino (Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill)

New Exclusive Commentary By Quentin Tarantino, Kevin Smith, Bill Hader, Matt Stone, Patton Oswalt and Diablo Cody

May 5, 2008 - This July, the clever and edgy comedy series that started it all for the award-winning team behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, Spaced will be available for the first time in North America in a new collector's DVD set from BBC Video™. From creator-stars Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) and Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson) (Shaun of the Dead, Son of Rambow), this 3-disc set features all 14 surreal episodes of the award-winning show, described by Pegg as "a cross between The Simpsons, The X-Files and Northern Exposure." Spaced: The Complete Series will arrive in stores on July 22, 2008 for suggested retail price of $49.98. The prebook date is June 17, 2008.

"Spaced is utter brilliance. Constantly and amazingly laugh-out-loud funny and heart wrenchingly emotional, this is a series for, well, anyone who has ever lived," says JJ Abrams (Lost, Star Trek). "Watching Spaced is kinda like watching a Kevin Smith film if Kevin Smith had any real talent," confesses Kevin Smith (Clerks, Dogma). "I watch and re-watch Spaced from time to time to remind myself how good television comedy can be," says Matt Stone (South Park, Team America: World Police).

Boasting over eight hours of content, Spaced: The Complete Series features bonus material including the all-new commentary from Quentin Tarantino, Kevin Smith, Matt Stone, Bill Hader (Superbad, Saturday Night Live), Patton Oswalt (King of Queens, Ratatouille) and Diablo Cody (Oscar®-winning writer of Juno).

Among the many accolades Spaced, distributed by Channel 4, has garnered from fans and critics alike, Hynes won British Comedy Awards in 1999 and 2001 for her smart portrayal of moody writer Daisy. Additionally, Spaced received BAFTA (UK equivalent to the Emmy) nominations in 2000 and 2002 for Best Situation Comedy and an International Emmy Award nomination in 2001.

SPEAKING OUT ON SPACED

"The best thing out of England since Winston Churchill." - Seth Rogen (Superbad, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up)

"I laughed hard and I hate comedy." - Judd Apatow (Director of The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up)

"Daisy Steiner is a revelation: a female character who isn't an accessory, martyr, one-dimensional fantasy object or humorless foil." "In a world of prefab TV pairs, Tim and Daisy are a miracle: He's an observant, whip-smart geek, she's a slacker-feminist icon, and together, they're as real as it gets." - Diablo Cody (Oscar-winning writer of Juno)

"Innovative. Witty. Hilarious. Spaced is the show we American comedians watch and say 'How the hell did they get away with this?! Spaced is the sole reason I bought an all region DVD player. Now you have no excuse! Buy this and you can officially be cool." - Bill Hader (Superbad, Saturday Night Live)

"Annoyingly good." - Eddie Izzard (The Riches)

"Spaced is a to-be-envied, to-be-cherished blend of pop culture heartbreak and genuine human hilarity. It's also a foolproof Idiot Test. Here's how it works: if someone ever tries to duplicate, replicate, or otherwise re-do this one-of-a-kind show, they're an Idiot! Aren't we all lucky to have such a thing in our world?" - Patton Oswalt (King of Queens, Ratatouille)

"Brilliant! Hilarious! The first TV show to combine my love of Star Wars, Evil Dead, and funny Brits. If I had grown up in England this show would be the documentary of my life... Although I think it already is." - Eli Roth (Cabin Fever, Hostel I & II)

"The wonderfully funny, outrageous and unique British television comedy series that manages to be both insane and sweet at the same time! A very influential show from the guys who gave us Shaun of the Dead" - John Landis (Director of American Werewolf, Blues Brothers)

"Spaced is too smart, too entertaining, and too hilarious for American television. When Americans get a glimpse of this mind-blowing show, they will take to the streets, demanding a reason as to why they've been deprived of Spaced pleasure for so long." - Mike White (Freaks and Geeks, School of Rock)

"The greatest television show in the history of television! The gold standard of geek cool!" - Harry Knowles (Ain't It Cool News)

SPACED: THE COMPLETE SERIES BONUS FEATURES

* New exclusive commentary with director Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson) and guests Quentin Tarantino, Kevin Smith, Bill Hader, Matt Stone, Patton Oswalt and Diablo Cody.
    * Exclusive Spaced On Stage reunion Q&A recorded at the National Film Theatre, London in October 2007.
    * "Skip to the End" - Exclusive feature length documentary
    * "Spaced Jam" by Osymyso
    * Outtakes
    * Trailers
    * Deleted scenes
    * Raw footage
    * Photo gallery
    * Homage-O-Meter - An onscreen feature that tracks each pop-culture reference
    * Newly updated cast and crew biographies

Spaced: Definitive Collector's Edition
    Street Date: July 22, 2008
    US/CA Price: $49.98 / $62.48

12. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I know this thread isn't about the US Remake, but I'll post it here anyway :p

13. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Pegg also said this - again, from peggster.net:

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'll definitely be buying this when it comes out. Loved Hot Fuzz, and to a lesser extent, Shaun of the Dead.

15. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

I will buy this. I will listen to every commentary. I will watch every special feature. I will revel in the Homage-O-Meter. I pimp this show every chance I get. It is possibly the best show ever. :techman: