Space Station Stuff

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by XCV330, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I stopped using PB years ago and now prefer Imgur. You might give it a shot. :)

[​IMG]

"You say this daily walk will reduce my risk of death by cardiovascular disease by 30%, but also increase my risk of death by bear attack by 300%? That's a 280% increase! I'm not a sucker, I'm staying inside."

Ar-Pharazon, StarCruiser and XCV330 like this.
  2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

3. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I use IMGUR too, since flickr doesn't seem to allow crosslinking. If it's just a one-shot thing I sometimes upload to imgbb

publiusr likes this.
  4. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A piece of debris big enough to pancake your home would likely alter those odds.

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Space junk? I know a song about that.

publiusr likes this.
  6. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Starliner has been cleared for a launch date for a the uncrewed OFT-2 lest launch on May 19.
    Boeing is apparently going to redesign the valves that led to trouble last year, but not incorporate that into this test obviously.

It makes me wonder when/if we will actually see people fly on Starliner, but my guess is they will go with whtaever kludge they worked out for this flight. It was apparently good enough for NASA's extremely strict protocols, since OFT-2 is supposed to essentially be a full dress rehearsal of a crew flight sans crew.

7. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

And OFT-2 is launched and on the way to ISS, hopefully will dock in Friday.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

China’s last station module aloft?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mengtian_module

The Long March

A Halloween scare:

LM-5 core due to come down uncontrolled for 3rd and last time…I hope.

Update—core stage down over water.

Pic of LM-5 on its way up:
    https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/chinese-space-program.5642/page-20#post-560764

Ring station concept
    https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34036.0;attach=2145692;image

Coolant problem
    https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=57878.0

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  11. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Seat swapping with Soyuz should end. It was a stupid decision in July. There's several new stations coming and ISS has served its purpose

Starbrow likes this.
  13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Probably a Geminid hit.

There is a redundant cooling system—a second SOTR loop.

I like Soyuz in that the rather inert living compartment is what is docked…as a buffer to any leaks from the headlight capsule itself.

And yes—there is such a thing as rocket surgery

It was the inert living compartment that took the hit….which means that—had a Dragon style capsule had been in its place—it takes the hit…and it wouldn’t just be coolant spraying about.

Imagine if that had been a tanker Starship that was holed….that’s why I have little use for depots.

What we need
    https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=52130.0

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It isn’t about rich people…look, right now the folks on ISS have about every second of their stay scheduled. That is a big creativity killer. By having larger numbers of people in general inside a one g shirtsleeve environment…with unscheduled time…you can get bolt-from-the-blue inspiration and more importantly…a zero g environment is just a walk—-not a launch—away.

Your sentiment is exactly what I feared when Bezos and company slimed space as a billionaire vanity project. I don’t fault you on that. I want space-based solar power…with space in the energy sector, it need not have to prostitute itself to the vapid.

—Or to the military, for that matter:
    https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/...t-job-after-ig-investigated-sex-toys-at-work/

Great…steely-eyed dildomen

I also want all virology done off world.

Forget COVID, read up on Ebola-Reston.

I want that hot-zone crap off this planet…no Captain Trips.

Of interest

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    XCV330 likes this.
  15. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Think of rich people as willing guinea pigs to figure out the problems that need to be addressed to get humanity into a spacefaring species.
    Space is a major factor in our species survival. I don't think it is possible for our species to revert to a pre-industrial stage and survive. We don't have easy access to metals, or even flint for that matter, depending on how far backwards some people would be comfortable, so we have to move forward.

To put it in another perspective, if, say asylum seekers were sent to bubble domes on the moon right now, it would equally be decried (and rightly so). But space does have to factor into the solution for humanity, if humanity is going to persist and exist. Our mining and manufacturing can be done there, even farming. Within 200 years our planet could be restored in many areas to nearly pristine natural condition, with millions, or even billions (I think population will continue to decline) living and working in orbital settlements. The bulk of Earth's population would possibly be concentrated in to clean, safe cities, With unlimited resources there zero-sum economic theories of the past simply would no longer work.

But we have to start somewhere, and if that means billionare joyrides, and buttheads like Musk building rockets, so be it. They're nothing more than the rowers on the galley, to me.

16. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

SpaceX is functioning off launch contracts from NASA and the Pentagon that have mostly reduced the cost of missions that would have been run, anyway. They have other business launching commercial payloads that would have either launched with someone else, such as the Russians, who I'd rather see not benefit.

You can migrate en masse to space. An Island-One type construct, a very early phase settlement would house about 10,000 comfortably. Add to that lunar work, since most of the materials would be mined and refined there. The settlement could support further mining AND space based solar power to provide electricity to earth.

You need to look at the outer space treaty. And only one nation actually recognizes personal or corporate mineral claims in space. If that has you in a lather, write a strongly worded letter to His Royal Highness The Grand Duke of Luxembourg. As far as private launch, supply and crew ferrying contracts they have dramatically brought down the cost of access to space. I suppose there are some idealists who wish there was one state owned jet plane that could ferry aeronauts into the sky a few times a year as well, on behalf of the hero workers of the proletariat.

I am too lazy to put in the "it's aliens" meme, here.

I don't really know how to communicate with marxists and neo-georgists. Uh ok, Billionares rule everything and we're in a dystopia and it will never be good and we should self-lobotomize. there.

17. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

10,000 is not 'mass migration'. Space can offer boons to earth - but mostly if a asteroid mining business takes off and just dumps materials in the sea. You don't need mass habitats in space for that. A few overseers and support staff at most, sure. Then robots do the rest, at least until splashdown.

The Von Braun paragrim of space is dead. Man in space in any mass capacity is dead. There is no need for explorers, colonizers, barely soldiers. Some scientists, some docs, many engineers; yes. But to think Space will ever be more than akin to oil rigs or Antarctica is dead. There of course is always the potential for national dick waving and commercial interests to heat up, for warfare to arise, and thus why I said 'barely soldiers', but even that is rare. And will most likely be drones, laser sats, ramming sats, ground based laser arrays and so on than any manned cruisers fighting each other.

Earth is our home and our grave, and will be for 99,9999% of the billions who are alive now and will be, and thus earnestly deserves 99% of the global gdp. Space can make do with a percent or less. A select few will go to Mars, maybe, if we're lucky, will go on a HOPE mission or two, a few dozen or hundred on Lunar engineering and scientific outposts and floating above in LEO-GEO to the belt.

As for the rich in space - lol, no. Fuck them. They're a waste, they're not pressing anything. Governments with yearly budgets bigger than any corpo will push space advancement. No corpo is going to snag a rock for ARM or recovery. No corpo will by its own volition land people on the Moon, or even get a space hotel up. They've been yakking about that for forty years and zilch. Anyone who believes Spaceship will fly tourists around the Moon anytime soon needs to stop buying bridges. Here's hoping the FCC shoots that down and snags spaceship solely for scientific and national missions. The rich need to be put in their place.

And the sooner the USA gets out of its libertarian lite BS of commercial space, the better.

18. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Starship will be able to launch 737 size crews to space. I gave the example of ISland 1 as a starter colony. That's the settlement that starts the rest. (really it will be corporate stations like Orb. Reef) And yes if you have 737 size crews going to space multiple times a day, most of whom are not making a return hourney, you're talking about hundreds of thousands of people living off world by the beginning of the 2200s, ideologies be damned.

19. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Space walk in progress (until it is not)

20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

In 2021, the nett world population increased by about 9,000 people every hour and a 737 carries 215 passengers at most so that's more than forty flights per hour just to keep the population on Earth constant.