Space Battleship Yamato 2202

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But this was post-refit

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Judging by what we see later in Yamato 2202, the post-war Kongo types have been fitted with wave motion guns similar to either the newer cruisers or frigates. My guess is that prior to Andromeda's completion, the government had installed limiters on the Kongos so they could only fire a heavy shock cannon strength blast out the front to comply with the treaty. But after Andromeda comes out, they bring the ships back in. Give them a quick refit to remove their limiters and install the remaining hardware/software, and they have wave motion guns by the Battle of Saturn. They are nowhere near as powerful as Yamato's gun, but we see they destroying multiple enemy battleships with single blasts (tightly packed enemies). They also don't seem to have the massive spread effect of the Dreadnoughts and Andromedas.

It is unknown in the Marusame also were fitted with wave motion guns. It is possible they were given a similar gun to those on the frigates, but it is also possible they just fitted it out with a heavy shock cannon and called it a day. We've not see the Marusame in combat since episode one of 2202, and we never seen them use their bow cannon. And there were a few instances in that first battle were firing such a weapon might have been useful. Even Kodai has some good opportunity fire instances with his bow gun, but deferred to the main batteries, and missile weapons. That take down of the Medaruusa in that battle would seem like a good time to feature the bow cannon. Or even attempting to stop the heavier battleship as it charged Earth (though that might be avoided due to the chance of hitting Earth).

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Just finished the Amaterasu. Jaysus wept, this thing's got some weird lines to it! The side view is from the original Bandai Andromeda kit book. Using some models I found online plus that one front view as references, I came up with this. Enjoy!
    battleship_amaterasu_2202.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    skaianDestiny, Blamo, Ithekro and 2 others like this.
  4. Ithekro

Looks like you finished your section update and caught up with Yamato 2199/2202 ships.:bolian:
    Now the wait for Yamato 2205 to come out. :)

137th Gebirg likes this.
  5. skaianDestiny

skaianDestiny Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

@137th Gebirg not to make you redo work but Goer's flagship is the Goergamesh, not Gilgamesh. Otherwise they look good!

137th Gebirg likes this.
  6. Ithekro

The Cosmo Tiger I from Yamato 2202 used by Yamamoto is missing. But that seems to be about the only thing missing of note.

Well aside from the revamped Gatlantis...but that's a huge thing that defies being a ship convention. Not only is it bigger than the Death Star....its about as big as Jupiter (meaning bigger than Starkiller Base as well)

137th Gebirg likes this.
  7. 137th Gebirg

Yep! Burned a lot of hours over my winter break to get caught up with that one, but I'm happy with the results. Didn't want to get too much behind the curve once the next production gets released. I suspect there will be a metric ass-ton of new designs I'll need to process for that one as well. They love their mechs! :)
    Weird! I know I did that one - must have been an omission in the database. I'll look for it tonight. Thank you for pointing that out.

I also noticed some other small corrections I need to make - some new ships have "2199" and "2202" in the labels to differentiate them from the original series run, but others don't - another omission - need to add them.
    Yeah, I actually thought about that for a while, whether or not I should include it. There aren't any actual schematics/orthos of it in the books I have and what I've been able to find online - more like conceptual art and screencaps of actual scene footage, mostly cropping it off from seeing all its detail at once (it's so freakin' huge!). And, like you say, it's not really a "ship" in the conventional sense - certainly not like the original "comet empire" or "dreadnaught" configuration, so I left that one out. I did think it amusing that the little top spire of 2202 Gatlantis strongly resembled the original Dreadnaught's front end with the wedge-head and two rows of lights, which led me to believe there would eventually be a separation from the main facility in an escape attempt by Zordar, but never actually happened.

Thanks very much for the kind words! :)

I wondered about that. Ironically, most of the English translations I found did say "Goergamesh", but I ignorantly inferred that it was a phonetic transliteration error, thinking it was really intended to be "Gilgamesh". My mistake - Japanese (as with most Eastern languages) is difficult for the uninitiated. I will make the correction tonight when I work on these other things.

8. skaianDestiny

It's a little lore thing if you pay attention. Many of the Gamilon commanders have their ships named after them.

Goer - Goergamesh
    Zoellick - Zoelguut II (the ship class is also named after him, as he was a proponent of the design ethos)
    Domel - Domelaze III
    Dessler - Deusura

The numeral also seems to indicate how many ships came before it (seen in the Zoelguut-class Deusura I and the Dessler Gun-mounting Deusura II). This would mean that Domel commanded 2 other Domelazes and Zoellick had one other Zoelguut before he got his big red one.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  9. Ithekro

Though that somewhat begs the question about if Dessler had a previous flagship, or if the Zoelgutts are older than we think they are.

10. 137th Gebirg

Hey all - the above corrections have been made. Gilgamesh is now Goergamesh, Yamamoto's Cosmo Tiger I was in there, just no link from the database, and a couple of other miscellaneous labels have been adjusted. Thanks again for the input! :)

Ithekro and skaianDestiny like this.
  11. skaianDestiny

12. 137th Gebirg

Sweet! Dessler has a new toy, I see...

I really love how they modernize the classic designs, keeping them fully recognizable, more realistic and a lot less cartoonish. Very much looking forward to this one.

13. Ithekro

137th Gebirg likes this.
  14. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kind of randomly stepped back to the board/thread again and had no idea they were already planning a 2205. Nice!

IronWaffle likes this.
  15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well can't wait to hear the updated version of to this

Galileo7 likes this.
  16. Ithekro

It is too bad that it is still almost a year away....I could really use some new Yamato stuff to plot and plan with. Or just talk about or analysis.

17. Ithekro

18. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

Judging by the pictures it looks like there's two different versions of the battlecarrier. The one that we would call the 'Lexington' class from the old series, and then a true 'flat-top' with a starboard side island and two center-line elevators. I can't tell if the flight deck ends short of the bow or not.

19. Ithekro

From what little we know, it looks like they may be combining some elements of the the Dark Nebula films and the Bolar Wars storyline. Two of the character concept art images are reimagined versions of the main newbie crew members in Yamato III (the one that starts off in the kitchen but gets promoted out of it later...also gets into a fist fight with Kodai before the ship takes off). Also they have the Cosmo Hound, which wasn't introduced until Yamato III.

The Nebulan designs seem to be more in line with the second film )Be Forever, Yamato).

Their being an Earth fleet and a habitable Gamilas changes things a lot, so the result of the plot will be a long time coming.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is interesting because the plot of Yamato III was originally going to be used for the second Black Nebula film until they decided that would work better for a whole season.