Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Finally got a very short response to my requests about the blurays. They basically said they're not selling them and if they start again (no indication if they actually would), they will announce it in their Facebook site. No why or when. :( I'm really curious what happened there.

2. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I need some help from someone with the Japanese imported BDs. The episodes don't seem to synch up with the US versions. Which Japanese disc is episode 17 on?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

There are seven Japanese BD for Yamato 2199. Disc One has two episodes on it while the rest have four each.

Star Blazers 2199 has four episodes per disc and was suppose to have six episodes on the sixth and final disc.

So to answer the question, Yamato 2199 disc 5 has episodes 15-18 on it.

4. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool, thanks for the info.

I looked at the run times on the site I was trying to get them from to figure it out for myself, but they weren't normal times and added up to too many episodes. I can only assume the site counts special features as well as part of the time, and I coundn't tell how much of the run time was actual episodes. :brickwall:

5. Ithekro

Some episodes on Yamato 2199 are longer than standard. Episode 20, for example, is 27 minutes long. Most episodes have almost 24-25 minute runtimes. The full version of episode 26 is about as long as episode 20, if I recall correctly.

EDIT:

Also this appeared in the Mechanics part of the Yamato2199.net site. This will be in the "Ark of the Stars" film in December. The Ki-8 Prototype Cosmo Boat is I think is what the translators are calling it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  6. Ithekro

Also Yamato as seen in the new film coming in December:

[​IMG]

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting as from that shot it appears they haven't had time to repair the Wave Motion Gun for whatever new story the December film has. (My assumption based on the fact the SBY has never been shown with an outer cover on the Wave Motion Gun aperture before.

8. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That plug was installed at the end of the TV series, no? When they got the cosmo DNA tech placed in there? I suppse they may not have had the time to fix it, but they also did promise not to use the wave motion gun again as part of the deal. Did the do the same thing in the original series, and if so, how'd they break that promise for later uses of the weapon?

9. Ithekro

The movie does take place while they are on their way home to Earth from Iscandar.

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ack - I was confused then. I thought the new compilation film just released this October added/changed some elements of what we saw of the trip back from Iscandar; and the new film with the new SBY 2199 story did take pace after the return. That's my bad. ;)

11. Ithekro

The compilation film reduces the 26 episodes into a roughtly 2 hour movie. I don't think there are changes, though it is reportedly a little dull compared to the actual series.

"Ark of the Stars" the next film in December, takes place between episodes 24 and 25, after Yamato leaves Iscandar, but before it gets back to the Milky Way Galaxy. It involved Yamato encountering a fleet of ships from the Comet Empire that are invading Gamilas space near the edge of the Large Megellenic Cloud. Though for some reason, the Comet Fleet wants Yamato and is searching for something of value.

As for the Wave Motion Gun's future. We will have to see.

12. Ithekro

We are now 26 days away from the release of the next Yamato 2199 film. (yes they have a countdown clock in "...Days left) on the yamato2199.net site.)

Hoping for not only a good film, but also an announcement of more later on.

13. Ithekro

The BD for the first film "Yamato 2199: A Voyage to Remember" is out.

In addition the new ship to be used in the second film "Ark of the Stars" is up on the Yamato2199.net site.

http://yamato2199.net/about/mechanic_a.html

Lots of details on the Comet Empire ships.

Medaruusa, for example....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  14. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So this is the movie that's a recap of all 26 episodes of the first series?

15. Ithekro

"Yamato 2199: A Voyage to Remember" is the recap film yes. It is more or less a highlight/plot reel for those that never saw the series. There is very little character development, as most of the character moments are not in the film. There is a small amount of new footage. Almost all of it is during the Rainbow Star Cluster Battle, with a tiny change at the end that is there because the plot points what lead to the original scene were not included, so it wouldn't make sense if the scene was shown as orignially made. The film covers what is considered important for the plot or possibly things that will be needed to know for the next film/future series.

The special feature do not have subtitles. However they do cover some of the scenes not seen in the film, including the one changed scene. (the change is basically what clothing Yuki Mori is wearing at the end).

I will say that the film's story only really covers between episode 1 - 24, with 26 only touched on in the credits. This makes some sense given that the next film "Ark of the Stars" will start pretty much as they leave Iscandar, so that will likely cover the film's events and episodes 25 and 26. That film comes out in two weeks in Japan. I expect the BD to come out in late January.

They did finally show how the Comso Falcon's get back into the hanger.

16. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw that hanger footage on a youtube clip promoting the movie. Guess I can wait for the sequel move then!

17. Ithekro

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  18. Ithekro

Ship images and translations have been done on ourstarblazers.com

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/arkmecha/

As well as translations for the new characters and the older characters in relation to what is happening in the new film (the five humans in civilian attire are the ones going down to investigate a mysterious planet).

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/aoschara/

This will be an interesting movie. Ourstarblazer.com will have people there for the premier so the English speaking world, and those that can translate from English easier than fom Japanese will have information quickly on "Yamato 2199: Ark of the Stars".

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't the gamilian with the scar and the old gamilian both died in the Battle of the Rainbow Star Cluster?

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since when do the guys from the Comet Empire look like Klingons?