Sorry NuTrek fans...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bry_Sinclair, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the "it's better than the actual movie..." statements are just so far off the mark, and seem more spiteful than honest. Still, the trailer parody was fun, like they usually are.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I said it was better because to me, the parody was more enjoyable. Subjective opinion, 'k?

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I still don't believe you. :lol:

4. Timewalker

*shrug* Whatever.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You really need to go and have a funny bone implant. :p

6. Amaris

I did not mention your name, neither did I implicitly refer to you specifically. It just seems that calling a parody movie trailer better than an actual film, especially when that film is critically and financially successful, just seems more spiteful than honest. You may feel differently, that's fine.

7. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yup, by the way, please everyone pay attention to the following key phrases: Star Trek is awesome again (0:29) a new era of actually watchable Star Trek films (2:48)
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTfBH-XFdSc[/yt]

If I remember well the making-off (you can find it on their channel), they made the trailer for the day of the film release, so I don't think they actually saw STID to do the parody. I'm a huge fan of Honest Trailer, so I can tell there's not really hostility toward NuTrek. It's not like second Star Wars trilogy.

8. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I'll admit it. I laughed at the Blingons thing.

9. Timewalker

The hell you weren't referring to my post; you quoted part of it word for word.

I don't give any portion of a rodent's anatomy if a movie is "critically and financially successful". If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't. I give my honest opinions, and your implying otherwise is uncalled for.

Hey, I'm the one with the sense of humor here; I liked the parody. You, on the other hand, appear to think I should laugh because someone called me spiteful and dishonest.

10. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Easy folks, we're all going to have opinions.
    I have a split opinion on it, and that's all. When I first watched the "Honest Trailer" a few months ago, I got a bit of a laugh out of it, but I also didn't exactly get the sense it was an affectionate parody....thus my remark about it seeming angry "fanboyish". If it was indeed an "affectionate parody" then my remark is off the mark. :)

But let's remember, folks, opinions are only that...opinions. They are not facts. (Only angry fanboys/girls delude themselves that their own opinions are matters of seemingly immutable fact.) :)

11. Armored Saint

Affectionate parodyception, my nose is bleeding. ;) I think their most fanboyish trailer was for Robocop. Sometime, they like what they parody, ex: Home Alone, and sometime they hate it (recent M Night Shamalayan stuff), but when they do, they're pretty explicit about. Honest Trailers are caricatures.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Try to make an "affectionate parody" of your girlfriend's flaws, and you'll realize that such a thing does not exist.

13. Timewalker

So a movie is on par with a girlfriend? :lol:

14. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Funny, but OTOH:

"Kirk fails to protect his crew... and the Enterprise... and downtown San Francisco"

That clip is true to the movie, and that's a problem IMHO with movies nowadays. Nobody matters as long as they kill the bad guy (ok, they didn't kill Khan, but that was just becasue they wanted his BLOOD! How taking BLOOD by force can be a good guys thing?).

In the previous movie, Kirk ordered to open fire against a enemy already defeated and in his knees (figuratively, it was a black hole).

Other moveis are examples of this trend. I was unconfortable during Transformers 2 seeing childhood hero Optimus Prime executed a defeated enemy with a shot in the face.

Enemies during the 80's, for example Indiana Jones', always died by their own evil actions. This is different.

15. Amaris

Your post was an excellent example of what I was talking about, but I wasn't targeting you specifically. There is a difference.

That's fine, I'm not saying you can't.

16. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I liked the clip. I loved XI and barely tolerated XII in hindsight, but I liked the clip. There's no need to "apologize" to nuTrek fans.

Seriously, the vast majority of movies out there, no matter how critically acclaimed and tightly made they are, often fall victim to jokes, and that's fine by me. My favorite is the summary of Wizard of Oz: "A little girl kills in a new land and then teams up with three other men to kill again." It's not wrong factually :)

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That movie is on par with an extremely ugly, stupid and messy one. And probably psychotic.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I sincerely hope you treat your girlfriend differently than you do films or Star Trek.

19. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course. I don't see my gf everyday, for example.

Also, Star Trek came first.

20. Armored Saint

As we say in French, qui aime bien châtie bien (the equivalent seems to be spare the rod and spoil the child), but of course, if by flaws, you're talking about her body or her similarities to her own mother, you're better to like sleeping on the couch.

Usually, the roasters have a better relationship whith the roasted than Takei with Shatner. ;)