Soong type Androids technology

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TauCygna, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably... they never wanted to get too specific about their technical stuff. Kills the fantasy to a degree, but I bet Maddox has written all kinds of stuff

2. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

Good question, I love how this board gets me thinking about things I would never had otherwise considered. :) while I can't think of any reference other then the naked now one that was already brought up, my assumption would be there are many papers written about him, most likely written by him :)

Data has plenty of free time, he is scientifically curious, he must be one of the leading authority's on STA ( he has the most access to experiment ) Now I have this image of Data taking off his own arm and experimenting on it with his other , lol

TauCygna likes this.
  3. Mojochi

I can't imagine him attending cybernetics conferences, & building his own android child, without literally becoming maybe the foremost living authority on the subject, on top of being the best living example. He's probably compiled every bit of study on the subject that exists. I'm sure he does publish his research. I'd imagine the scientific community would almost demand that he do so. They'd be in the dark without it.

It's another reason why the issues in The Measure of a Man are so ludicrous. If I was betting who'd be more likely to succeed in duplicating Soong's work, Data, or Maddox? Data gets every last penny. Maddox seemed like an idiot in comparison. Data shot him down in less than 5 minutes, & all the guy could stand on scientifically was that he's "Confident" he could figure it out, once he was already in too deep. Yeah, real scientific, dude. Lemme just pop the top & look inside, then I can figure it out

It's another reason why any scientist arguing against Data about the possibility of an AI being intelligent, like that Exocomp lady, should totally be rethinking their position. Hell, I think they should've let Data keep the Exocomps right on board the ship. (Assuming they wanted to stay) Who better to study & work with them as they develop? Certainly not the lady who couldn't even recognize their nature

Kytee and TauCygna like this.
  4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who has ever argued against Data being intelligent? Everybody's argument seems to be that he's pretty smart for a machine. Which at times is argued to be a damned good reason to tear him to bits or shut him down.

Timo Saloniemi

5. SpyOne

SpyOne Captain Captain

Mojochi wasn't saying that anyone argued that Data wasn't intelligent. He was saying that if someone found themselves arguing with Data about the intelligence (or sentience) of other things, as happened with the exocomps, then that person should doubt their position simply because Data is such an expert on that subject.

TauCygna and Mojochi like this.
  6. TauCygna

TauCygna Commander Red Shirt

Have you ever wondered how Data's skin can regenerate itself ??
    [​IMG]
    Since his skin material is called "bioplast", does it have the ability to replicate some cell-like structures ?

7. Mojochi

Correct. Thanks.

And I realize even that is debateable,
    I don't think it does regenerate. I think he just replicates more & replaces it, the same as he did for Lal's. Granted, there is no canon on it either way. It's just my thought on it. It's possible it does somehow

8. TauCygna

TauCygna Commander Red Shirt

Since the issue has been tackled on the 'TNG returns' topic...

What are your thoughts about Data's ability to age/appear older ?
    A specific line from Inheritance was quoted, but it sounds to me like the writers didn't put much thought about that dialogue and broke the continuity.
    I'm convinced Data doesn't have the required hardware to age, even though he could deliberately grow grey hair or change his bioplast face - but those would be purely aesthetic changes, not 'physiological' ones in any way.