Sony Spider-Verse discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

That trailer looks... okay, but I'm not sure why Sony isn't making a Spider-Gwen movie with Emma Stone post-No Way Home. Maybe Stone isn't interested, and they're not sure it's worth the risk without her, or maybe they don't want to overuse such a major character from the Spider-Verse flicks, or maybe their voluntary agreement with Marvel Studios mandates no web-slingers in a (leading) live-action role.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  2. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I'm seeing the future as well ...

At least it will flop on a relatively cheap budget.

CaptainWacky likes this.
  3. TerryTrek

TerryTrek Captain Captain

It indeed looks terrible.

However, it also looks cheap. Even when it flops, it may not be as disastrous as The Marvels.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  4. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is "He was in the Amazon with my mom when she was researching spiders right before she died" the single worst piece of exposition ever delivered by an actor who seems to wish she was anywhere else but starring in the film?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

First it was Ghostbusters now JMS is commenting on a character he created for his Spider-man run

[​IMG]

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I should've realized this version of Ezekiel seemed more like Morlun, but I guess it's been too long since I read those issues. JMS introduced both characters in his debut storyline on ASM, but they were enemies. So it is certainly different to combine them, let alone to give the character a sort of evil-Spidey costume that I doubt either comics character would've been caught dead in. (Not a criticism of the costume, which isn't bad; it's just that Morlun was quite vain about his elegantly tailored attire, and Ezekiel had no interest in the costumed lifestyle.)

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats a good point. To be fair, the Morbius director himself also didn't know that there was going to be a image of Spider-Man in the trailer, so I give the movie itself a bit of slack for that bad marketing decision. That's about the only slack I'll give it, but still.

Tosk likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Technically Anya is Arana, I don't think she's ever actually gone by Spider-Woman.

The trailer didn't look that bad to me, it didn't look great, but it looked didn't look like a total train wreck.
    I thought Ezekiel was a good guy in the comics? I've only skimmed through some of the wiki articles about him while reading about other Spider-Man stuff, so I don't know all of the details.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

So this is premiering on the WB network for the summer of 2001?

;)

[​IMG]

TREK_GOD_1 and Morpheus 02 like this.
  10. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

This movie looks like those fake movie trailers where they took random scenes from movies and photoshopped superhero costumes onto actors.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

More of a morally ambiguous character with his own agenda, helping Spidey when it served his interests but never being entirely trustworthy and sometimes being at odds with Spidey.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally got around to watching the first Venom movie, and I just don't/can't see Tom Hardy's Eddie/Venom as a villain.

I feel the same way, based on the trailer, about Aaron Taylor-Johnson's version of Kraven.

As far as the Venom movie itself goes, I really liked it; it proves (IMO) that the character and his origin aren't dependent on Spider-Man to work, and does so by evoking, of all things, The Incredible Hulk (both the comics/character and filmic media adaptations thereof).

The supporting cast was also fun; Anne and her new BF Dan made for nice foils/support for Eddie, and using a symbiote besides Carnage as the villain was a neat choice that justified the omission of Spider-Man from the story.

14. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

There appears to be some trouble regarding the further development of Silk: Spider Society.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

With their love for the K-stuff I'm surprised Netflix let Silk through their fingers.

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can see someone playing a PSP in the Madam Web trailer, so it's set in at least March 2005, as that's when the PSP released in the United States.

Unless it's a continuity error.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If anyone wondered why the dialogue from the Madame Web trailer didn’t zing along like something Whedon, Sorkin or Tarantino might have written, it’s because the film shares writers with Morbius. Nothing like proven winners, eh, Sony? https://www.sonypictures.co.uk/movies/madame-web

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I looked them up on Wikipedia and they also wrote Dracula Untold, The Last Witchhunter, and Gods of Egypt. That's some box office gold right there.
    Confession: I actually love The Last Withhunter, and thought Gods of Egypt was pretty good when I watched it last month. But to say they are not exactly popular movies would be a bit of an understatement.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I would LOVE a superhero and/or scif-fi/Trek movie written by Sorkin. I'd love it even more than a 24-style "real-time" superhero and/or scif-fi/Trek movie. Although, like peanut butter and carrots, Sorkin and real-time action/adventure frankly sounds like two great tastes that would go great together. :bolian:

(I'm out of the loop on Discovery and Strange New Worlds; have none of them done even a real-time episode yet?? Did we really get a Trek musical episode before a real-time one? I mean, c'mon - real time plus transporters - the possibilities are endless!)