Sony Spider-Verse discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 21, 2017.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The more I think about it, the more I want a Mysterio movie. He’s a villain we haven’t seen in live action, he has a good look and I could see his backstory (a special effects guy gone bad) being an interesting story. I’m still not sure how a villain solo movie would really work, but if they’re going to do them I’d like to see this one.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ A film from thePOV of a 'villain' would work the same, logistically, as any other 'origin story' film would. Almost every villain sees themselves as the hero of their own story, and that's the angle these rumored Kraven and Mysterio films would likely explore.

3. kirk55555

Well, it would be weird to see a movie where the hero is a outright bad guy. Usually they go anti-hero with stuff like this. I guess if the villain loses in the end it could work (because if they win it usually means innocent people get killed, which would get a bit weird if they did too many of these). anyway, its a very complicated thing they want to do, and Sony has shown no signs they are actually capable of accomplishing it, but I'm interested in seeing what comes of all of this, if anything actually gets made. I mean, I'm sure Venom will get made, and possibly Black Cat/Silver Sable, but Sony has announced many things they never end up doing.

4. DigificWriter

Kraven and Mysterio films are only rumored at this point. Silver and Black and Venom are definitely happening, though, and are fairly likely to be pretty straightforward 'hero origin stories'.

5. kirk55555

Well since none of them are heroes, I'll doubt they'll be straightforward "hero origin stories". Of course I don't buy the whole "superhero origin stories are all the same" line of thinking anyway. Still, Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable all anti-heroes instead of fullblown villains (well Venom should be a villain but I doubt they'll go that route), so I can see how their movies could work.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wouldn't assume that, since one of those characters are really heroes. Silver Sable is a mercenary and Black Cat is a thief, so that would probably be something along the lines of a heist movie or action thriller. And I could easily see a solo Venom being essentially a horror movie. I think both concepts have the potential to be something quite different from just another cookie-cutter comic-book plot.

7. DigificWriter

Silver Sable, Black Cat, and Venom have all been heroes at ome point or another, so it's not difficult or out-of-the-ordinary for their films to portray them as such, which is fairly likely to be the approach that's being taken.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see this being kind of an odd situation if they expect us to root for the villain in their movie, but then root against them in a Spidey movie, especially if the villain ends up being more interesting than Spider-Man.

9. DigificWriter

We're not likely to see any of these characters show up in the MCU Spidey films, so that's not really an issue.

10. Christopher

Yes, but my point is that it doesn't have to be, that they have an opportunity to do something more imaginative and different. Of course the main characters of the films would be the "heroes," the ones we root for in the course of the story, but they don't have to fall into a boring stock formula in order to achieve that. I mean, why the hell would we need origin stories for Silver Sable and Black Cat? They're an international mercenary who hunts war criminals and an elite, seductive jewel thief. That alone is a natural setup for a sexy, globetrotting heist/spy thriller. Heck, if anything, it'd be a waste to try to force it into a conventional "superhero movie" formula.

And Venom, for better or worse, is intrinsically a terrifying, deadly alien parasite. It would only make sense to embrace that and play up the horror angle. It would hardly be the first superhero-horror movie -- remember the Blade trilogy? And the New Mutants movie that Fox is making has been described as going for a straight-up horror-movie approach, emphasizing the angle of a group of teenagers facing a powerful, terrifying supernatural threat rather than the spandex-and-crimefighting angle. It's hard to believe the makers of Venom wouldn't want to make use of the horror potential inherent in the character, especially with the growing trend toward R-rated comic-book movies.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The sequel to Homecoming (July 2019) will take place "minutes" after Infinity War, according to Amy Pascal and more less confirmed by Kevin Feige.

If true, then the theory that Peter brings back the alien symbiote from that event could happen. We don't have to actually have to see Venom in the sequel, just see the creature disappear and Peter decides to create a replica. The latter part is just a hope on my part because I've always loved the black costume and the design used in Spider-Man 3 was one the thing from that film I loved.

Likewise, this could give us some hint to the nature of the upcoming two Avengers sequels. If Peter is returned to Earth and life there is relatively "normal," then there may be some kind of resolution to the conflict. That's assuming the adaptation follows the comics where
    Thanos erases half of all sentient life in the universe as a gift to Death.

12. Christopher

Never a safe assumption, as we've seen before. Other than standalones like 300 and Watchmen, have we ever seen a comic-book franchise movie that retold a single, specific comics story verbatim, rather than just using bits and pieces in its own new version?

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's why I said assuming, instead of actually assuming and stating that what we saw in the mini-series will likely happen in the film.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

15. Christopher

Interesting... A few years back in the comics, there was a storyline where Eddie Brock (no longer bonded with the symbiote, which was with Mac Gargan at the time) was transformed into a new form called Anti-Venom, literally an opposite of Venom that had the power to cure people of "impurities," whether symbiote infection, disease, drugs, radiation, etc. The title "Antidote" makes me wonder if Anti-Venom could be part of the story in some form.

16. Turtletrekker

The rumors that the character of Mac Gargan, played by Michael Mando in Homecoming, is to appear in the Silver and Black movie have apparently been confirmed by thathashtagshow.com. Of course, no casting information is available, and these really are still rumors despite the site's assurances, but I am going to assume that, if true, it will be Mando reprising the role.

If the report is true, other Spidey-villains said to appear in the movie include Mendell Stromm (Norman Osborn's partner in the comics and later the villain called the Robot Master*). I suspect that he will be the new tech guy, now that the Tinkerer is behind bars. The Chameleon (Silver Sable's go-to spy-guy), Tombstone and the Tarantula.

*Thank you Christopher for the correction about Stromm's identity. I made a rookie mistake.:rofl:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  17. Christopher

You're getting your robot guys confused.
    Spencer Smythe built the first Spider-Slayer, and his son Alistaire Smythe eventually followed in his footsteps. Mendel Stromm was Norman Osborn's partner whom he betrayed, and who adopted the villain identity of the Robot Master. I know him well because he played a role in my 2007 Spider-Man novel Drowned in Thunder.

18. Turtletrekker

^D'oh!:scream:

Edited.:beer:

19. Turtletrekker

A rumored description of the plot of Silver and Black has surfaced...

Honestly, this sounds more interesting to me than a Venom movie.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm open to the concept of Silver & Black, I just really hope/wish that Sony are at least consulting with Marvel Studios to make sure it's consistent with the MCU, since they intend for this movie to exist in the same reality as Tom Holland's Peter Parker.

Yeah, yeah, I know. "It doesn't have to." I've heard all of that. But I want it to.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Turtletrekker and The Nth Doctor like this.