Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Trekker4747, Aug 15, 2007.
At least have more flybys with the "Generations" Excelsior types.
I could probably write a lot on this, but for now, I'll go with the following:
- planet shots from orbit (the early seasons especially). They really could do a lot with this in making each planet unique (moons, size, etc.) They also could match it up properly (i.e. where the Enterprise revisited a planet and the planet actually looking the same [not only within TNG, but also to TOS - for example, Vulcan]).
- reused shots [as several others have already pointed out]: primarily, the simple shots of the Enterprise flying through space during a captain's log, etc. Use different angles and put more and varied space "stuff" in there [like the title sequence of Voyager]. Also, it would be cool to see the different classes of ships, so unless it's actually spelled out somewhere in an episode, make some of the ships different (kind of got boring seeing the Excelsior again and again).
- space battles. 'Yesterday's Enterprise' is kinda slow-looking now, I think. They really could jazz it up (and all the others) big time. Also, some of the torpodeo shots look quite bad now (again, especially in early episodes). Also, again, angles are important - they reused the same shots for the ship firing, so they could sort that.
- those effects shots were actors get zapped or shot with something. Some of that looks quite bad now.
- in terms of a specific episode, 'Aquiel' comes to mind. The 'shape-shifter' looks really dated - I'd love to see an upgrade on that.
I'm tempted to start rewatching a few episodes now so I can suggest some more upgrades!
Can't look worse than the shape-shifter in "The Dauphin."
As for the space-battles I disagree there. TNG was never about space battles, that was more DS9's MO. The Enteprise is an emmense ship and shouldn't be potrayed as a fast-movinb barrel-rolling fighter a lumbering capital ship is precisely what it should be.
The colony creature in Aquiel looks fine....!
But the Dauphin shapeshifter..ugh...horrible.
I also think the BEST use of CGI in all of ST might be to re-do the Evil creature from Skin of Evil....that would be so much better!
Awww. I like the Metamucil and printer's ink monster!
replace those horrible green computer screens in the early episodes with new screens. Just clean up a lot of the shots, like in where no one has gone before, make some of the shots look less 80's, more variety in the ships the E-D meets with like someone else has said. lots more, but I don't have time to post em all, cause I gotta get up early for work. Take care all
Different shots of the Ent-D rather than the usual ones. A few more "beauty" shots as it were when they're cruising in space. It would also be nice in a few more shots to actually see what they are shooting at.
Upgrade the detail level on the Romulan Warbirds and Borg cubes. Clean up the computer interface closeups. Some of the battles, like in "Yesterday's Enterprise" need to be beefed up a bit too, including the Klingon ships.
Green screen? How do the shots in WNOHGB look specifically 80s???? You picked one of the more flawless episodes of STNG FX to nitpick.
No doubt the effects in WNHGB were nearly flawless.
TNG-R?? How about more tongue?
Seriously now, I probably wasn't the first person who thought you were talking about an "R" rated TNG.
Maybe some time in the future when 3-D effects can be added would be a good time to think about this.
What? No ones fired up about the Battle at Wolf 359 idea?
What would you remove from BOBW so you could get it into an hour? You can't just add 5-10 minutes of kewl explosions to a show and get it in the time restraints.
Not why I watch Trek, friend.
Besides the Enterprise didn't arrive to party until it was too late.
We saw it in DS9!
I just rewatched 'Relics.' A lot of the Dyson Sphere stuff still looks great, but they reuse some standard angle shots of the Enterprise flying toward it/around it [i.e. they just cut and pasted one of the stock Enterprise shots onto the background]. They also reuse a shot of the Enterprise flying out of the Dyson Sphere.
They could also correct an oversight - they transport Geordi and Scotty off of the transport ship with its shields still up. This would be easy to correct, as they could show the shields being shut off prior to their being transported.
There's a horrible looking blue/green-screen effect when Scotty first walks into the Holodeck [and when he leaves] - again, very fixable now.
I think Phil Farrand mentioned this last one in his 'Nitpickers' book - given the size of the Sphere, I'm not sure you'd be able to see the actual curvature of the structure in one of the early shots.
I like it.
I always thought it would be cool to cut away to the Battle of Wolf 359 right after Data calls Riker to the bridge and show the battle as it unfolds, then cut back to Riker arriving on the bridge and speaking with Admiral Hanson.
"The battle does not go well Enterprise"
What I'd like…
• Widescreen (impossible, I know)
• High definition (obviously)
• More/new model shots
• More "damage" to the models
• New effects shots (would have to be re-done, anyway)
• Season 1 & 2 having a full orchestra for the incidental music (to be in keeping with the other seasons)
• FOR GOODNESS SAKE, DON'T ADD ANYTHING ELSE!
My point about the music would be so easy to do. You just take any of the musical cues from later seasons and dub them over. They are all fairly interchangable (no disrespect to the composer intended). Hey presto: episodes that are far more exciting and dramatic!
As for widescreen, maybe it could be made semi-widescreen (14:9 ratio)? If they took the original full 35mm frame it was filmed in (1:1.37 aspect ratio), and sliced 5% off the top and 5% off the bottom, you would end up with 14:9.
I'm confused. You want the sonic wallpaper from the later seasons to replace the original music from the earlier seasons?
What is a TNG-R?
Separate names with a comma.