So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished TOS Janus Gate book 3 Past Prologue by LA Graf.

Really enjoyed this trilogy. It was cool to see the back half of the main cast take alot of the spotlight giving Uhura, Sulu and Chekov really excellent material.
    Especially Chekov it was cool to see his "new kid on the block" first away mission.

Up next is DS9 Mission Gamma book 4 Lesser Evil by Robert Simpson, (and not trying to give any spoilers but I was shocked at who died at the end of book 3!)

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Just about every L.A. Graf TOS novel focuses heavily on those three.

3. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished my re-read of The Hobbit and have moved on to a non-fiction book by Canadian author Stuart McLean called Welcome Home: Travels In Smalltown Canada. It doesn't sound exciting, but there are some truly fascinating stories here, told by one of my favourite storytellers.

I'm also reading the Bone prequel Tall Tales.

On the audiobook front, I just started The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes as read by Derek Jacobi. He's doing a great job so far, as I knew he would. :)

4. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished VOY: The Eternal Tide and started TTN: Fallen Gods. I think I'll continue with Treklit and read TP: Brinkmanship next. Then move on to non-Trek stuff for a while, at least until all three of David Mack's TNG novels have been released. I want to read the entire trilogy at once.

5. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I just finished Burn Notice: The Reformed, about to start Star Trek: Titan: Fallen Gods.

6. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Continuing my 24th century chronological reading, with TNG "Spartacus." Really good book, about an android race of beings, trying to win their freedom from their master biological race.
    Also reading the TOS books in publication order, currently on "Ishmael." Really liking this one, where Spock is accidentally thrown back in time to 19th century Seattle, and has lost his memory. The klingons have traveled back in time along with Spock for some nefarious reason.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ishmael is a fun book. I remember enjoying that one.

If you like Ishmael, you might want to check out the old TV series "Here Comes the Brides"--for reasons which will soon become obvious! :)

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Broken Universe by Paul Melko. It's the sequel to The Walls of the Universe, which I read last month and really enjoyed. Think of a slightly more complex Sliders with young adults, head-to-head pinball, and whether or not you're a 'singleton' or a 'dupe'.

9. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Continuing my Trek read-through with The Lost Era: The Sundered. (The last of the 23rd Century novels!!)

10. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Leviathan wakes by James S.A.Corey.

Not the least bit like Firefly.Not at all.;)

11. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

So what am I reading?

Recently finished:
    Typhon Pact - Brinkmanship
    The Next Generation: Double Helix 04: Quarantine
    The Next Generation: Double Helix 05: Double or Nothing

Currently reading:
    Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 03: Trill: Unjoined

Next on schedule:
    Double Helix 06: The First Virtue
    Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 02: Andor: Paradigm
    The Next Generation: Cold Equations III: The Persistence of Memory

12. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Re: So what am I reading?

How is Trill: Unjoined? I've been wanting to read the Worlds of DS9 series for a while now, and will hopefully have them by the time I reach the DS9 relaunch. :)

13. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finally finished "Crime and Punishment" (enough of that) by Dostoevsky. On a similar theme, I am now reading "The Patrian Transgression" (ST-TOS #69) by Simon Hawke (does get honored with a character on "First Contact"?). Also, in this novel, one finds two ships: "Sir, we have rendezvoused with the Lexington ..." (page 12) and then: "... Mr. Scott, have the bridge inform the Intrepid ..." (page 14). Perhaps a monster that transmutates ships has changed them ... or, DTI forbid, an error has occurred in the timeline.

Oh, and, I just purchased and downloaded "Green Metropolis" by David Owen. If environmental security is about doing some kind of control over crime, accidents, waste, unethical practices, and error, then some kind of optimization and/or efficiency or even effectiveness may be required. How would 'the future' deal with this? Thanks for the book title suggested Sci.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  14. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Trill: Unjoined

In reading, I'm currently at ca. 79% into the book and I enjoy it a lot! The world and civilization as presented here is irreconcilable with its representation in Star Trek RPG: Worlds but it is also much more interesting.

The plot is the vehicle that allows to delve into Trill culture and history. I realized how much they were like Humans, except for their sexy spots. However, their symbionts have a unique impact on their history.

In short, I like it. The plot is solid, the revealed secrets exciting and it has Dax in it. M.A.M. and A.M. had been an excellent writing duo. Back then.

Why am I reading it? Trill: Unjoined is among the latest releases in Germany, so everything DS9-R after it is still completely new to me. I've also read Cardassia: The Lotus Flower. I've not yet read Andor: Paradigm - at the moment, I can't stand the Andorians because they became evil.

15. PKS8304

So I finished Deep Space 9 Mission Gamma book 4 Lesser Evil.
    I enjoyed this book, though was bummed when I saw that it doesnt wrap up but is "to be continued in Rising Son"

Not going to get around to reading that anytime soon, in the meantime I read the Typhon Pact books last years so I went ahead and started "Plagues of Night".

About 65 pages into it and Im enjoying it so far. I did have a question though, and maybe Im asking too soon as I might get the answer as I read on but does this book take place during the other Typhone Pact books or after. I know it has to be after Rough Beasts of the Empire but where does it fall with Zero Sum Game, Seize the Fire, Paths of Disharmony and CLB's ebook?

You can tell me to "wait and see" if you like or pm me if the answer is a spoiler for other readers.

Thanks!

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Plagues of Night largely overlaps and unites the previous TP books. Basically the order of the TP books is:

Rough Beasts of Empire
    Zero Sum Game Ch. 1-2
    Plagues of Night Prologue-Ch. 6
    ZSG Ch. 3-end; Seize the Fire (roughly simultaneous but unconnected)
    PoN Ch. 7-9
    Paths of Disharmony
    PoN Ch. 10-12
    The Struggle Within
    PoN Ch. 13-Epilogue
    Raise the Dawn

(I'm not sure where Brinkmanship falls, but I think it's after RtD.)

However, it mainly connects to Rough Beasts of Empire, Zero Sum Game, and Paths of Disharmony, with no significant links to the others.

17. PKS8304

Oh wow, ok thanks. That break down is very helpful.

I was wondering after reading that prologue with the Breen spy.

18. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Amazon recommended that one to me recently, and I thought it sounded interesting. Your praise has pushed me over the edge, I'm going to give it a try!

Right now, however, I'm reading You Are Not So Smart by David McRaney. My first (and at this rate, likely to be only) non-fiction book of the year.

Finally finished Star Wars: Labyrinth of Evil. Took me way too long to finish reading, partially because of stuff in my life that was keeping me busy, but also partially because it just wasn't grabbing me, which is very unusual for a James Luceno novel. Still enjoyed it way more than Jedi Trial though.

Up next is Una McCormack's Brinkmanship.

19. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I may be reading one of the Star Wars Omnibus books (possibly "Shadows of the Empire") and I'm tentatively looking to read/look at some other books:

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Heavy Metal publishers....(I believe it is the original comics, and
    • Part Asian, 100% Hapa by Kip Fulbeck

20. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Slow, slow month. Didn't have any theme going, so I was basically reading whatever fell into my hands upon completion of the previous book. I also abandoned several books that failed to grab my interest.

09/02/2012 Vultures of the Void: The Legacy by Philip Harbottle
    09/03/2012 The Rocketeer Deluxe: The Complete Adventures (gn) by Dave Stevens et. al.
    09/07/2012 The Believing Brain (audiobook) by Michael Shermer
    09/11/2012 Last Chance to See (audiobook) by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine
    09/16/2012 God is Not Great (audiobook) by Christopher Hitchens
    09/18/2012 Star Trek Omnibus Volume 2: Early Voyages (gn) by Abnett & Edginton/Zircher, Collins, Pulido/Adams, Moncuse
    09/19/2012 Love and Rockets New Stories No. 5 (gn) by The Hernandez Bros.
    09/21/2012 Star Trek: Telepathy War (gn) by Cooper, Mangels & Martin, Abnett & Edginton/Renaud & Lanning, Grindberg & Almond, Morgan & Williams, Randall & Nichols, Zircher & Moncuse
    09/22/2012 All The Lives He Led (audiobook) by Frederik Pohl
    09/22/2012 (The Adventures of) The Peerless Peer by Philip José Farmer
    09/23/2012 Star Trek FAQ: Everything Left to Know About the First Voyages of the Starship Enterprise by Mark Clark
    09/26/2012 John Byrne’s Next Men: Aftermath (gn) by John Byrne
    09/27/2012 Manly (gn) by Dale Lazarov & Amy Colburn
    09/28/2012 The Last Theorem (audiobook) by Arthur C. Clarke & Frederik Pohl
    09/28/2012 Nightlife (gn) by Dale Lazarov & Bastian Jonsson
    09/28/2012 Good Sports (gn) by Dale Lazarov & Alessio Slonimsky
    09/28/2012 Aztlan: The Last Sun (na) by Michael Jan Friedman

The Dale Lazarov graphic novels barely count as "reading," since they're entirely wordless (makes it easier to sell around the world...?). Anyway, they were somewhat amusing, but not particularly arousing.

Lots more assorted graphic novels. Somehow that seemed to be what I could concentrate sufficiently to read last month. The apparent wrap-up of Byrne's Next Men was every bit as weird as I was expecting. Great series.

The Star Trek Telepathy War crossover comics were not as good as I remembered them, and not really a GN, because they were never collected. Oh, and the Voyager chapter isn't really part of the series; no real connection between it and the rest.

Finished up Star Trek FAQ, which I've been reading bit by bit over the last few months. Highly recommended.

A couple Fred Pohl audiobooks at the gym. I liked All The Lives He Led a good deal more than his collaboration with Arthur C. Clarke. I've been a fan of Pohl's since the '70's, and one of the highlights of my Provo years was getting to be his chauffeur for one of the BYU Science Fiction Symposia, where Pohl was the guest of honor, in '84 or '85. Had a great time driving him up to the Salt Lake airport to collect his wife, who came in on a later flight. They were still fairly newly wed at that point, and it was clear that he simply worshipped her. It was touching to see that much love.

A couple of "new atheist" titles lent me by a friend. I've never spent much time with Hitchens. He was a brilliant writer, and God Is Not Great is one of the best books I've ever "read." I'm looking for more Hitchens. Any recommendations?

A new volume of Love & Rockets is always a treat. Jaime Hernandez is simply brilliant. I think I might've mentioned that before...

Reading Stevens's complete run of Rocketeer has made it literally impossible to read the current stories coming from IDW. The new stuff (by Mark Waid and some hideous artist that I can't be bothered to get up and determine the name of) are simply dreadful in comparison. Scratch that, they're simply dreadful.

Vultures of the Void is a history of British sci-fi paperbacks in the '50's. I came upon this book as a result of looking for information about E.C. Tubb. It was a surprisingly engrossing read.