So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Lord Hierarch

Lord Hierarch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I got the entire Stargate movie book series for 2 bucks at my library, plus a dozen other books, considered getting S2 Enterprise DVD boxed set, but I didn't have enough money after I already paid. Could've gone to the bank and got a 20, but I was already late for wooork.... when I went back the next day it was gone :(.

Besides that, got like 200 kindle books unread plus a thousand Samples.

Uuuugh.

2. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just finished Dune Messiah.

Smiley and Commander Troi like this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Net Trek: Your Guide to Trek Life in Cyberspace, from 1995 and via Archive.org. It's wonderful, especially the smutty fanfic section:lol:

Someone find James Lenny Xon Nurdbol Dixon, he's mentioned twice for his Fandom Star Trek Chronology, by the author who clearly never had any interation with him. I think it's the recognition he wanted all along.

Victoria likes this.
  4. youngtrek

youngtrek Commander Red Shirt

Finished Star Trek: Picard: Firewall a few days ago. Am starting back on A Feast For Crows, which I’d gotten around a third of the way into and then put on hold to finish some other books.

That is just one of the several things about that Echoes mini-series that I was disappointed with. That they feature these two parallel universe versions of (spoiler) Uhura and Chekov but then don’t expound anymore than that about what their universe is like (other than that Chekov is evil in it and there is obviously no Federation or Starfleet there).

— David Young

5. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plus Pavel has a different name, whereas Nyota does not - is it an alias or was he named differently by his family?

6. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After plowing through a fair amount of disposable reading material at home, I'm now a chapter into Pliable Truths at home, and an article or two into the March/April 2024 San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance Journal (formerly Zoonooz) on my lunch table at the office.

7. Denise

Denise Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Read The Most Human by Adam Nimoy.
    Also finished The Abode of Life by Lee Corey
    and What Cannot Be Said by C.S. Harris

8. I am not Herbert

I am not Herbert Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's quite the pivot.

9. hbquikcomjamesl

Magazines I currently receive, either as commercial subscriptions or as a membership benefit:
    Model Railroader
    Smithsonian
    Westways
    NMRA Magazine (formerly Scale Rails, formerly NMRA Journal)
    San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance Journal (formerly Zoonooz)
    Fine Scale Modeler

Magazines I received at some time in the past, most of which have (*) ceased publication:
    Popular Science*
    Popular Electronics*
    Elementary Electronics*
    Modern Electronics*
    Popular Photography*
    Starlog (*?)
    Science Digest (*?)
    Recreational Ice Skating (no longer an ISI individual member)
    The American Organist (no longer a voting member of the AGO)
    Children's Digest (only one year, as an unasked-for gift subscription)
    National Geographic (two years, as an unasked-for gift subscription)
    Highlights for Children (three years, as an unasked-for, but appreciated, gift subscription)
    Journal of Irreproducible Results (one year, but most of the humor was too esoteric even for me)

Bonnier, by the way, is where magazines go to die.

10. I am not Herbert

I am not Herbert Lieutenant Red Shirt

Kind of grim to see those all those defunct magazines listed out like that (and yes, Starlog is, alas, long gone-- so long gone that evidently there isn't even a paper archive, due to a warehouse fire). The internet age is a net gain (as it were) in specialized info intake, but there is something lost in the demise of the big-tent, general-interest magazine, even if it's a little harder to define (and perhaps inexplicable to a younger generation).

I keep trying to tell my wife to include the fact that as a child she had a picture published in Highlights in her C.V., but apparently she doesn't have the same overriding sense of whimsy regarding her career as I do

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, no. And the scans that used to be on the Internet Archive were taken down a couple of years ago.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Admiral

Diavola by Jennifer Thorne, published by Nightfire, Tor's relatively new horror imprint.

A tense family vacation at a possibly haunted Tuscan villa. What could go wrong?

Enjoying it so far. The author's voice is engaging and the complicated family dynamics well-drawn.

Denise likes this.
  13. hbquikcomjamesl

Back in circa 1971, without ever having cracked an issue of Popular Science, when I was given a gift subscription to Children's Digest, I opined that I'd have been happier with PS. My mother pointed out that Children's Digest was a good deal more expensive (to which I shrugged, regarding less money spent on a better-appreciated gift was a win-win scenario).

When I did subscribe to PS, my very first issue was December of 1971. Which I still have. The cover story was about a converter that would allow you to watch color television programs, in color (dim, low-fidelity color), on a black-and-white set (practical, but not very marketable, given that color sets were finally coming down in price), and also included a series of workshop articles (including building an ultramodern grandfather clock out of duPont's then-new "Corian" imitation marble). I was hooked, and continued to subscribe until the very last print issue.

I remember the first time I expressed an interest in subscribing to Popular Photography, my mother was opposed, thinking that there would be nudes, and/or articles on shooting nudes. I think over all the years from the day I subscribed to the day it ceased publication, PopPhoto ran exactly one article on shooting nudes, and even it was more-or-less "G-rated."

If Bonnier is where magazines go to die, Kalmbach (Model Railroader and Fine Scale Modeler) is a publisher with an uncanny ability to keep its stable of magazines going. Even today, Model Railroader is a monthly. Not even Smithsonian can say that. Pity that Kalmbach didn't buy Starlog, Popular Science, Popular Electronics, and Popular Photography. They might still exist.

14. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reread: Star Trek: Greater Than the Sum

New characters like Chen, Choudhury, and Elfiki are introduced well here. I appreciate that Christopher brings in current science that relates to the story and tries to make things make sense as much as possible with Trek history. The discussion about being pulled in different directions by career and family resonated a bit more on this reading. Finding a balance between all of the things that are important to us in the limited time we have is a difficult, life-long struggle.

Currently reading:

Star Trek: Destiny
    An Unfinished Life (a JFK biography)
    Time of the Dragons (omnibus of The Indigo King and The Shadow Dragons)

15. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    I’ve nearly finished the latest Stephen King book, loving it

16. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I just finished Savage Trade (...goofy, but fun) and Burning Dreams. Anson Mount has rocked my world and made Pike one of my very favorites, so I enjoyed it. The ending, which built on Cage/Menagerie, was great. About to try a SNW graphic novel on Kindle unlimited.

Denise and Smiley like this.
  17. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For more from the author of Burning Dreams, I recommend Strangers From the Sky and Unspoken Truth.
    Pike is seen more in The High Country and The Enterprise War from John Jackson Miller and Child of Two Worlds by Greg Cox. He's been in other stuff, too, which is on Wikipedia and Memory Alpha, but that's what sticks in my memory.

Smellincoffee and Denise like this.
  18. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished Nadine Brandes' Wishtress. YA and very well written. Hope it gets a sequel. A few plot twists that were predictable, and an ending that just seems very much a movie finish (cue end credits song).

Next up, it's Night Falls On Predicament Avenue, by Jaime Jo Wright.

19. youngtrek

youngtrek Commander Red Shirt

It’s the last day of May, so here’s my end of the month reading report:

I finished reading Dune (the original 1965 novel) by Frank Herbert. (Library checkout.)

I read Star Trek: Picard: Firewall (2024) by David Mack. (Library checkout.)

I finished reading Superman Archives Volume 5 (2000) by Jerry Siegel and various artists. Reprints Superman #17-20 (July-August 1942 to January-February 1943). (From personal collection.)

And Captain America: The Ghost Army (2023) young adult graphic novel written by Alan Gratz, illustrated by Brent Schoonover. (Library checkout.)

Keeps me holding steady with my GoodReads 2024 reading challenge at four books ahead of schedule (24 read, year end goal 50).

— David Young

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Admiral

Flashing Swords #4: Barbarians and Black Magicians, edited by Lin Carter and featuring sword-and-sorcery stories by Jack Vance, Poul Anderson, John Jakes, Katherine Kurtz, and Michael Moorcock.

A thrift-store discovery, from 1977.