So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: Voyager: Architects of Infinity by Kirsten Beyer.
    I then read the Alien comic Female War.
    Then I read the "The Secret Heart of Zolaluz" by Robert T. Jeschonek in Star Trek: Voyager: Distant Shores.
    I'm now reading Volume 1 of IDW's Back to the Future comic series, titled Untold Tales and Alternate Timelines.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bitter Harvest by Sheila Conally

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just coming up to the end of The Librarians and The Mother Goose Chase (by Greg Cox). I didn't get quite as far into my reading as I expected while on vacation:(

Other recent reads while away were (in no particular order):-
    Wonder Woman:Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo
    Lost Lamp by Greg Cox
    Godzilla by Greg Cox
    Pacific Rim: Uprising Ascension by Greg Keyes
    Runaways by Christopher Golden
    Avengers: Everyone wants to rule the world by Dan Abnett
    Miles Morales by Jason Reynolds
    Catwoman: Tigerhunt by Robert Asprin/Lynn Abbey

I also thought I'd try The 100 by Kass Morgan and reread Goblet of FIre and Order of the Phoenix by J K Rowling. There may have been one or two others in there too that I can't quite recall at the moment.

Greg Cox likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up STTN: Sight Unseen last night, and earlier this morning I read #26 of Brian Azarello's Wonder Woman comic run.

5. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

A time to hate - ST TNG A time to series

6. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Still catching up. DRG3's Ascendance had a heck of a lot of time and territory to cover and did it pretty well, but I'd've preferred to have this storyline happen when it was supposed to happen with a Marco who got to stick around a bit longer. Though our loss is the wider SF field's gain, as Marco's doing really well over at Tor.

Now a couple hundred pages into Jeffrey Lang's DS9 novel Force and Motion, and finding it a nice break, as it's a more straightforward tale focusing on a smaller number of characters. Much more of a standalone kind of feel.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The Prince Who Would Be King, Sarah Fraser's biography of Henry Frederick Stuart, the son of King James VI/I who died in 1612 at the age of 18.

Fraser's thesis is that Henry was groomed from birth to be the leader of 17th-century Protestant Europe and his death resulted in the turmoil of the Thirty Years War and the English Civil War. I'm not entirely sure about her thesis, as I'm not convinced that an English Civil War could have been avoided if Henry ascended to the throne. (A Henrican Civil War would have had different causes than the turmoil his brother faced, probably from the Catholics frozen out by Henry's Puritan/Calvinist Church of England.) Still, it's a very readable book on the Elizabethan/Jacobean period and, unlike most books of the subject that I've read, it gets into the political situation on both sides of the Tweed since that provides necessary context to the era.

8. Cap'n Crunch

I finished Volume 1 of IDW's Back to the Future comic series, titled Untold Tales and Alternate Timelines.
    I then read the MacGyver comic Fugitive Gauntlet.
    After that I read "Isabo's Shirt" by Kirsten Beyer, from Star Trek: Voyager: Distant Shores.
    I'm now reading the graphic novel adaptation of The Kane Chronicles: The Throne of Fire.

9. John Clark

Made a start on The Nightmare Stacks by Charles Stross. I'd missed this on the first go and when I'd read the next book, there were some references that I didn't know about so realised I'd missed this one:(

10. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

Just started Star Trek: Destiny

Kilana2 likes this.
  11. Reanok

A tale of two biddies by Kylie Logan

12. John Clark

I've moved on to The Secrets of Dearcliffe Grange School by Kim Newman.

13. Reanok

Not a Creature was purring by Krista Davis and I'm reading Star Trek TNG Headlong flight by Dayton Ward.

14. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Hidden Figures.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

CRIME BEAT by Michael Connelly

Not a novel this time – I'm a fan of his crime/detective novels – but a collection of his crime reportage from the late 80s and early 90s in Florida and LA. You can really see the seeds of the Harry Bosch series here (including a couple of plot bunnies that he then used for novels) as well as the evolution of his personal writing style that conveys characters in his books.

Being full of old crime reports it can be a wearing read, at the amount of nastiness in the world, but worth it. More of a downside is the fact that, because of the pieces cover cases through several reporting updates, there's a lot of repetition of basic details in some of them.

OTOH, some of the unsolved-at-the-time ones are so interesting that I may have to Google them and see if they've been solved in the dozen or so years since the book came out...

Interesting if you're a true crime fan, or a Connelly fan looking at his influences.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been working off and on on the WW issues and as of today I'm up to issue #30. I'll probably take a break and work on some other comics once I finish this one.
    EDIT: Finished up WW#30 and I decided to read ST: Klingons: Blood Will Tell written by David and Scott Tipton, with art by David Messina, which I have as part of the digital version of IDW's Best of Klingons collection. I actually read the paper version of the first issue of this back when it first came out, but never got ahold of the rest of the series. Best of Klingons also includes the first arc from DC's first TOS series, but since I already read that on the comics DVD I'm going to skip right to Blood Will Tell.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  17. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just started reading "Vulcan" by Kathleen Sky (a Bantam Star Trek book from 1978). I've been adding some of the older Bantam novels to my collection. I love reading some of the novels from back in the day when the original series was all there was, no movies, no TNG. Obviously some of the elements have been overwritten by later canon, or other novels even. And they didn't have as much background available on Star Trek and had to sort of make things up as they went along. But in some ways they are the most pure Trek fiction, from an old school point of view.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remembered after my last post that I decided earlier this week that once I finished my most recent batch of Wonder Women comics I was going to read less comics for a while. So instead of Klingons: Blood Will Tell, I've decided to start The Art of Zootopia by Jessica Julius. I picked up a bunch of the Art of books for animated Disney and Pixar movies a while back, and this is one I've been the most anxious to read. I loved Zootopia, and the whole world created for it, so I'm looking forward to getting an in depth look at what it took to make it.

19. Riverside2233

Riverside2233 Commander Red Shirt

Just finished Discovery Desperate Hours by David Mack. I sped through it - really good read. I was impressed with the ability to make these new characters so intriguing, yet give them a sense of familiarity with the Pike Enterprise crossover.

About to start the audio book for Discovery Drastic Measures, and then FINALLY watch season 1.

20. Cap'n Crunch

I finished comic adaptation of The Kane Chronicles: The Throne of Fire.
    I then read the short Aliens comic, Theory of Alien Propogation followed by Doctor Who: The Lost Dimension, Volumes 1 & 2.
    I then finished up Aliens Omnibus, Volume 1 with The Alien.
    Then I read the comic Torchwood: World Without End.
    After that I read "Night of the Vulture" by Greg Cox, from Star Trek: Tales of the Dominion War.
    I'm now reading the comic collection Back to the Future, Volume 2: Continuum Conundrum.