so the producers and writers said that discovery will lead into TOS (60's aesthetics and all)...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by crashchaos, Nov 7, 2017.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Why?

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It's not a reboot. A visual reimagining that takes what audiences seemed to like about the look of the Kelvin timeline films, but it's not a reboot. The Kelvin timeline films weren't even complete reboots and those stories actually take place in a completely different timeline. The reboot stuff doesn't fly anymore.

Of all the things to criticize about the new series "it's a reboot and they're lying to us" isn't even near the top of the list nor should it be.

Vger23 and JoeP like this.
  3. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Visual Reimagining is a cool but meaningless catchphrase some fans have come up with to explain all the continuity discrepancies in Discovery.

It either is part of the established continuity (visuals and all) or it isn’t. It either is part of the Prime universe/timeline (visuals and all) or it isn’t.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

It can be both.

5. Captain of the USS Averof

Schrödinger's Star Trek.

6. cooleddie74

It is both.

As much as I adore the look of TOS and those sets they weren't going to reproduce those for the sets of Discovery. We have very TOS-like nods to continuity in the hand phasers, tricorders, communicators, bridge sound effects and even the food synthesizer slots in the mess hall, right down to the color of the sliding doors and the row of blinking lights above each that let the crewmember know when their food is ready. But they weren't going to rebuild the old TOS sets for a modern audience, not for standing sets that would be used every week. I'm as big a TOS fan as you'll probably ever find but expecting them to not reimagine the Starfleet look for a modern series in the post-JJ Trek era is just silly.

Do I sort of wish they had? Hell, yeah. But that was never going to happen. This is a Prime timeline show where the ships look different from the TOS Enterprise.

Kytee, Ovation and ozzfloyd like this.
  7. cooleddie74

Also, the datatapes/duotronic wafers that slide into the desktop computer monitors. The monitors themselves are a modern take on the desktop computer monitors from TOS with their angular shape and slots for datatapes.

8. fireproof78

No, just no. Otherwise, TMP is just as easily outside of continuity as DISCO.

JoeP likes this.
  9. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see this version of Star Trek morphing into anything like TOS. They don't 'fit'.

10. fireproof78

[​IMG]
    And TV show visuals ;)

11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

No one is saying it will, visually.

12. Captain of the USS Averof

Nonsense. I see the TMP argument all the time and it doesn’t hold much water.

In universe, TMP is set at least 5 years after TOS (and at least 3 years after TAS). That makes all the difference...

A ship and it’s technology can be refitted in 5 years.
    A service’s uniforms can be changed in 5 years.
    The weapons and equipment can be replaced in 5 years.

Plus you have all the actors playing the same characters which makes TMP a straight forward sequel and not a reboot or visual reimagining of any kind.

Unlike DSC. But I agree that DSC being a de facto reboot is the least of its problems.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ So it's okay to change styles in FIVE years (TOS-TMP) but not in TEN years (DSC-TOS)? How's that work?

cooleddie74 and fireproof78 like this.
  14. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's the difference:

It could be just a visual reboot that still stays true to the same story, characters, and course of events that could/would lead smoothly to the story, characters, and events of TOS.

If it were a full reboot, then the story could involve them killing off a young Kirk before he even gets to the Enterprise, or maybe have the Borg become the prime threat in the quadrant -- one that everyone knows about.

I'm not saying we will necessarily see Kirk , but a full reboot doesn't care about those things being consistent with TOS, but a visual only" reboot could care. That's the difference.

15. fireproof78

Hmmm....DISCO is set ten years before TOS. So, I guess things can change, by your argument,

16. cooleddie74

Even the Enterprise itself saw some considerable design changes and systems overhauls between Pike and Kirk. Sure, it wasn't as drastic or noticeable but the bridge module was greatly refitted, the warp nacelles underwent an upgrade and the main deflector dish was changed. Even the crew complement itself skyrocketed from 203 to 430.

fireproof78 likes this.
  17. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fact that this idea that "DSC should look like TOS" is even still a discussion at this point makes me weep for humanity.

Crazy Eddie, Jinn and JoeP like this.
  18. fireproof78

#notrealstarrek

Trust me, it could be worse ;)

Vger23 likes this.
  19. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe just leave DSC as experimental tech show us the 170 in drydock undergoing it's 2260's refit. A bridge from NV with nonTOS engineers in TOS uniforms?

Jinn likes this.
  20. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just the nature of the beast. Setting a show after a line in the sand is drawn affords more flexibility. Deliberately referencing a known quantity and positioning Discovery as going into what we know TOS to be is just asking for that expectation.