So I'm going to see Solo at the cinema on my own.

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by WraithDukat, May 18, 2018.

1. Kirk the Jerk

Kirk the Jerk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I cannot fathom it, do you sit there waiting for your order staring at other people eating? That would make me a little uncomfortable. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen someone sit by themselves in a restaurant. McDonald’s maybe but not a proper restaurant.

2. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't go to a restaurant by myself either, but my wife told me that while she was finishing her doctorate she would go and just bring a book with her and read.

3. WraithDukat

WraithDukat Captain Captain

I go to restaurants on my own, I wouldn't have when I was < 25 but I don't give a shit now lol.

Jadis and Turtletrekker like this.
  4. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I might be a tad pessimist, but I suspect one can get the same experience if one waits about a week. Go to see "Solo" a few days after its premiere and it can be Friday at 10AM or Saturday at 8PM: There's nobody else in the audience, making it "Solo" indeed. :( Not that I'm a pessimist, these standalone releases are answering questions nobody asked. Episode IV already had enough exposition to tell about the Death Star, how awesome and antihero Solo was (until the special edition ruined that), etc. Especially as "Rogue One", which takes place just before ANH, is quick to upend all the continuity ANH relies on. But it might explain why Vader seems comparatively lethargic in ANH as he was just all manic-hypersquirrel all around in RO (despite sounding 40 years older in RO.)

Then again, "Rogue One" did sell a ton of tickets.

5. Groot

Groot Boomer American Premium Member

Not looking to have anything about SW "explained" or revealed when I watch one of these. Going to be entertained by the characters and action and just have a good time at the theater. :)

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Well Solo beat Black Panther's pre-release ticket sale record.
    So there will be a lot of people seeing it in the first couple weeks at least.

He was in a hurry in RO, not in ANH. The Tantive IV was secure in his Star Destroyer's hangar, he had no reason to act like that in ANH.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, when you say restaurant you mean fancy places with waiters and assigned seats? I haven't been to such a place in years. To me, restaurants are places like McDonalds or whatever and yes, I go alone.

Actually, what I really like about McDonalds these days they have those special kiosks where you can put you own order in right there. Cuts out all that pesky human interaction.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just out of Solo. Went with Mrs Relayer.

There were four of us in the cinema !

:hugegrin:

9. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like to lounge around and take in the atmosphere.

Kor

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Premium Member

In response to the whole movie going solo thing, you're there to watch a movie, not talk to your friends. You do that after the movie and you can do that anytime. I always go to the movies by myself.

Kor likes this.
  11. Hades Temperature Checker

Hades Temperature Checker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoy seeing initial reactions right after the movie, so going solo is still odd to me. I would do it, but it's always a large family event for me since it is so rare.

12. Gore-ac

Gore-ac Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate going to the movies in the winter, there's always some prick coughing who gives me a virus, why couldn't they release this one in the summer like the last 3?

13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you located in the southern hemisphere?

Kor

Vger23 likes this.
  14. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish BillJ Premium Member

Last time I went to a movie by myself was the second time I saw Star Trek Into Darkness. Wife was at work.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've made that excuse too when I didn't want to see something.

16. Gore-ac

Gore-ac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yip. The best hemisphere.

17. Jadis

Jadis Queen of Narnia Premium Member

Did you enjoy seeing your movie by yourself? I do love your wit with your pun! I saw Solo on Saturday, I really did rather enjoy this film, I found it very delightful and a joy to watch. I don't feel there was really anything that bothered me too terribly at all.

I've gone to see many movies by myself, I don't feel there's anything wrong at all if you would like to see something but don't want to wait for others. I've never felt embarrassed being by myself, and I usually do like going to matinees. I'll go for first showing in the morning, I find it's so much easier to find a parking space and it's nice going in when it's not so terribly crowded yet. I most recently went alone to see Avengers, but I didn't leave alone lol :luvlove:

WraithDukat likes this.
  18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I had a day off, went to the early show had a nice comfy recliner in the biggest screen in the place for $5. You pick your seat ahead of time these days so it's not like you have to sit in the theater for a long time alone before the movie starts even.

19. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I decided to take in a triple feature of The Avengers, Deadpool and Solo last week.

It's not very common to find many people willing to do that with you.

20. WraithDukat

WraithDukat Captain Captain

@Marynator - I haven't seen it yet (going to wait a month or so so it's quieter), glad you liked the pun though lol.