So if the comics & video game are canon...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lightshield, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

They are from the Voyager Elite Force game. Also when did we see nice Romulan or a Hirogen or a Chalnoth or that Gallileo Seven species?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Huh?

I don't think Essoc (spelling) from Alliegience was evil nor were the Romulan Commanders from Balance of Terror or The Enterprise Incident.

The species from The Galileo Seven was the equivalent of man at one of his earliest stages.

You can't paint an entire species with one broad brush...

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Jem'Hadar are not "evil." They're essentially victims, a race that's been genetically programmed to be warlike and serve the Founders. We've seen Jem'Hadar portrayed as honorable in their own way. Star Trek is not the kind of series that reduces characters to simplistic, dumbed-down "good"/"evil" dualities. It's generally about exploring the nuances, about showing that even "enemy" races have their own understandable point of view, their own noble and decent qualities.

We've seen plenty of "nice" Romulans, from the "Balance of Terror" commander to Spock's Unificationist followers to Commander Donatra. We've seen "nice" Hirogen such as the technician in "Flesh and Blood." And the Hirogen weren't portrayed as "evil," but simply true to their instincts and culture as a hunter civilization. The way to deal with them was not to exterminate them, but to reason with them and offer the means to redirect their predatory nature in a more constructive way.

Besides that, I'm not talking about the Jem'Hadar or the Romulans or the Hirogen, I'm talking specifically about the Gorn. Portraying them as bloodthirsty conquerors is inconsistent with how they've been portrayed in canon and literature for 45 years. In "Arena" they were defending their territory when they believed they had been invaded. In subsequent canon, there's never been any mention of any other military conflict with the Gorn, and if anything, UFP/Gorn relations were implied to be fairly good. In the literature, the Gorn are usually portrayed as a well-intentioned if prickly race, quick to strike back if they feel they've been wronged, but not inclined to start fights or invade others' territory. The one exception was the rebel faction in the Gorn Crisis, who could be accurately characterized as bloodthirsty conquerors, but they were defeated.

4. Drago-Kazov

We disagree and we just have to leave it at a that. Anybody seen a nice Chalnoth?

5. BillJ

Since we've only seen one and Picard was able to reason and work with him, I'd say he wasn't "evil". Plus, Esoqq was abducted from his home world, that's liable to put anyone in a bad mood.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I can think of only the one - not what I'd call nice, but "not nice" is a different thing from "evil".

7. Drago-Kazov

He wanted to eat the other guy without hesiation.

8. BillJ

We'll ignore everything from the episode...

You're going to find an entire race evil based solely on one of its representatives? I hope aliens don't judge us that way if they ever come down.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Impolite, perhaps—or a bit forward, at the very least—but still not evil. :)

10. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Welcome to the internet :p

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Drago-Kazov, if you think it's okay to judge an entire race based on a single individual, then you've monumentally missed the point of Star Trek -- and of life in general.

12. Drago-Kazov

i am open to the idea of a different Chalnoth, but they are like Gammoreans, most of them are probably evil.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's the tusks. :confused:

14. Drago-Kazov

And the attitude.

15. Therin of Andor

You are still judging an entire race as "evil" by the actions of one confused individual.

Gene Roddenberry seemed to be saying that there are no evil races of sentient beings, although some are misunderstood.

16. Drago-Kazov

I was refering to Gamoreans but according to what we saw the Chalnoth are like that.

17. BillJ

You have completely and utterly missed the point of Star Trek. :rofl:

18. Drago-Kazov

Not every species has to have utopistic potential.

19. Therin of Andor

According to Roddenberry, no sentient species was evil, just misunderstood. Deja vu.

20. BillJ

Go watch The Enemy Within or In the Pale Moonlight, then maybe you'll have a better grasp of what everyone around you is saying.