So I decided to watch some classic scifi this week...

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by SITZKRIEG!, Mar 15, 2021.

1. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

I recall various behind the scenes specials for classic Star Wars showing the 1970's version of Lucas' "pre-vis" for space fighter battle scenes being clip compilations of various WW2 films and actual gun camera footage. He wasn't shy about his inspiration for the first film at least.

2. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Well, thanks to this very thread, the BD of “Wings” is on its way to me. I had no idea it would be worth watching.

Thanks y’all!

dupersuper likes this.
  3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Marcia Lucas talked about this at a panel I attended at the Academy in 2019.

Hit THIS LINK to go right to her talking about it. She says it was about 6 minutes of stock footage that she worked from.

The video does not show you what was upon the screen above her, which was the actual workprint with the stock footage she describes!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    publiusr likes this.
  4. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Yet more proof that Hollywood has never had an original idea.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not sure how far back you'd have to go to find an original story. Cave drawings?

nightwind1 likes this.
  6. Maurice

Everything is a remix.

nightwind1 likes this.
  7. SITZKRIEG!

Those neanderthals were notorius copyright infringers. Just ask the cro magnons. :)

nightwind1 likes this.
  8. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Buster Keaton is another genius who is almost completely forgotten. I saw "The General" in "Elements of Film" when I was an undergrad and was blown away by the camera work and the overall product. It was also gut bustingly funny.

9. Maurice

I know it’s considered his greatest film, and it is very funny, but I would much rather watch Go West.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

SITZKRIEG! likes this.
  11. SITZKRIEG!

I'm not sure how they differ. I'd hope that they're just the serials spliced together with the credits and previous episode recaps (assuming they had them) removed. Thanks for the links! I think I'm most excited about the Captain Marvel one thought Commando Cody vs the Radar Men from the Moon has a nice ring to it as well. I just rewatched some more fan films this weekend after watching the Neutral Zone Studios walk through to see if I could recognize which rooms they were filming in so the fan film vibe is fresh in my memory. I wonder if I'll get the same feel from these old serials.

12. SITZKRIEG!

I watch the first episode of Captain Marvel and it was definitely interesting. I'd say it reminded me more of similar era B&W westerns moreso than the fan film vibe I got from Flash Gordon but that could be specific to the first episode due to both the cringey setting/depictions as well as the action. I really was impressed with the flying effects though as they were quite good. I researched how they did it and it was quite inventive and much better than the IIRC cartoon cutscenes that superman would have a decade later.

13. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, 7 years.

14. SITZKRIEG!

Apologies for the necro but I'm always curious to see what is entering the public domain (at least here in the US) and both this film (Wings) and the seminal scifi film Metropolis entered into public domain today. Yay! I'm curious to see what intrepid film makers will make of both in the years to come.

nightwind1, somebuddyX and XCV330 like this.
  15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I loved 1930’s Hell’s Angels…with the Zeppelin’s spy basket.