Spoilers So, about Rios’s fate…

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by FederationHistorian, Jun 22, 2022.

1. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    The door is open that he may have been killed by a temporal agent in that bar fight in Morocco?

Since, even though he never mentioned it, it makes sense for Rios to want to meet Zefram Cochrane and witness the events of first contact unfold. And he can’t run into Picard during first contact, as he’ll tell him about the future. So a temporal agent would intervene to prevent that event from occurring. Sure, Rios could wait unit Cochrane gives that commencement speech at Princeton to meet him. But based upon what we know about Rios, he does not seem like the person that would wait until then.

Thoughts?

Dryson, Danja and Seraphim like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems like a stretch to me. He died doing his job, nothing more.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

How does a 'temporal agent' killing Rios in a bar fight actually make any sense? If they didn't want him mucking about in the past, they would have intervened before he ever decided to stay in the 21st century. Not that I have any faith that 'temporal agents' even know what they're doing, as VOY showed quite clearly.

4. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just show an evil Cristobal Rios in charge of Section 31, no explanation given. His first act upon reappearance is removing Agnes from the Borg collective.

5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Rios was in his 40s when he stayed behind in 2024. Maybe he was in his mid-40s, if the character's age matches the actor's. Guinan said he died a little bit before reaching Old Age. To me, "old" means "70 or over" if I were to put a number on it. So I'd say Rios probably lived another 20-25 years...

... which means he probably didn't make it to First Contact. If he was upper-middle-aged, I think he died in the 2040s.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    WarpTenLizard and SolarisOne like this.
  6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Faked death, kidnapped by Gary 7's bunch, time agents, whatever.

He'll live on in tie-in fiction eventually.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps the timecops knew that Rios had an important part to play in the 21st century. Hell, for all we know, he was always destined to do it, and could even be the ancestor of one or more characters.

8. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's the thought that'll bake your noodle: If Rios had survived to First Contact, neither Picard nor anyone else would have recognized him. He'd be an old man, and at the time of FC it is doubtful Picard even knew he existed yet, much less had any sort of acquaintance with him. Rios could have watched the whole thing and been totally covert.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rios was already dead by the time ST:FC took place.

Dryson likes this.
  10. Yistaan

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

He got knifed in a bar fight. Happens.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Let's say there were temporal agents involved. If Rios lived out his life and kept his mouth shut about the future and didn't make any real changes to history, then there wouldn't be any temporal disturbances for the temporal agents to be concerned about.

Being in a large family, I know that some people can definitely take big secrets with them to the grave...

Danja likes this.
  13. Yistaan

If Rios really wanted to protect Teresa and Ricardo from World War 3... I find it very hard to believe he didn't try to change something.

lawman likes this.
  14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Rios would probably cling to the adage of "the needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few" and still wouldn't change history one bit.

15. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

He stumbles upon old versions of Marty McFly and Doc Brown. Doc Brown creates one of the holograms...with the name Emmett....:D

Danja likes this.
  16. MarkusTay

MarkusTay Commander Red Shirt

I was thinking he runs into Nebula, who tells him she used to be known as Amy Pond before the Borg got to her, and she tells him to deliver a message to Pikard, who will soon be in a wheelchair and running a school for Gifted Youngsters in upsate NY, and tell him to contact the Time Variance Authority so The Doctor can fix this mess.

Nyotarules and Danja like this.
  17. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

They've just killed Hemmer after one season.

We should be grateful we got Rios for as long as we did.

Reanok likes this.
  18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I realize this is Spoiler tagged but the subject line sort of gives away that something significant happens to him. Not sure if that's a Spoiler or not.

19. Caeruleus

Caeruleus Commander Red Shirt

They messed up this story with Rios.

20. MarkusTay

MarkusTay Commander Red Shirt

Not every death need be a heroic/legendary one. He lead a heroic life, and died in a completely normal way. He EARNED that. "May you live in interesting Times" was actually considered a terrible curse. Picard can grow grapes and Riker can live in the woods with his thick wife, but Rios needed to do more? There is nothing wrong with giving a good character their 'Happily ever after". He got that.

TedShatner10 and Danja like this.