SNW uniforms and characters revealed (old and new)

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by NCC-73515, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Shawnster

Shawnster Commodore Commodore

I'm nearly the same, except I'm disappointed that it's Uhura, Chapel, and a Noonien-Singh. I'm sorta OK with M'Benga as I'd like to see his character fleshed out. However, overall, I agree none of these were necessary. We have enough evidence that it's possible to make a very successful Star Trek show without incorporating TOS characters on a regular basis.

Dang, Uhura spends her entire Starfleet career on the Enterprise it seems.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's a cadet so that doesn't automatically make it so. But, yeah, it is disappointment to dip in to that well.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Assuming she never gets assigned anywhere else between 2259 and 2266 that means Uhura spends 26 years on the NCC-1701 and 7 on the Enterprise-A.

4. Yistaan

Yistaan Commodore Commodore

Strangely enough, tons of androids were running around, mostly of the Mudd variety, in the TOS timeframe and no one treated them like a big deal. Then suddenly in TNG everyone acts like they've never heard of an android before.

danellis and Phoenix219 like this.
  5. Serveaux

Serveaux Mediocre Old White Man Premium Member

The career paths of the Enterprise crew had diverged irreparably from what is plausible by the time of the third or fourth TOS-based movie - if that late.

SJGardner, PT109, Firebird and 3 others like this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's because TOS didn't really happen.

Commander Troi likes this.
  7. cooleddie74

Of course the slingshot effect to travel back in time and conduct covert historical research for the benefit of Federation science was also a thing in TOS and is never again referenced after "Assignment: Earth," so yeah, Trek often conveniently forgets things for the sake of storytelling. ;)

8. Yistaan

And Spock acts like it's a big deal that the slingshot effect can time travel in TOS, even though he knows full well the Fed was messing with time crystals and red angels decades ago. He's overplaying his "I know nothing about anything related to Discovery" act. :rommie:

9. cooleddie74

Spock is good at keeping things secret. Sarek. Sybok. Michael. Time crystals. Discovery. :lol:

10. Yistaan

With Paramount finally merged with CBS, bring on Sybok! At the end of Sybok's last appearance, Spock will gather M'Benga, Uhura, and Chapel and remind them never to tell anyone that he has a brother. :rommie:

11. cooleddie74

At least have Spock mention Sybok to Pike as the other family member he doesn't often speak of, and in this case because he was considered a heretic and outcast by Vulcan society. And since Pike is also good at keeping things to himself and will be a speechless invalid in a wheelchair by 2266 we know why he never mentions this to Kirk.

SJGardner and Commander Troi like this.
  12. Yistaan

Spock: As I told you before Captain, rumors you are hearing about me having a secret brother are not even worthy of me to address.

Pike: Beep beep.

Spock: See, Captain Pike agrees with me. He says "No, they are not worthy of Spock even acknowledging"

Pike: Beep beep. Beep beep.

Kirk: :shrug:

13. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

If I'd just discovered Napoleon or Hitler in cryogenic storage and my first officer, communications officer, and a member of the ship's medical staff had all served with a descendant of theirs within the last decade, I'd think that'd at least be worth mentioning in passing, don't you?

14. Serveaux

Old continuity.

Everything from Star Trek: First Contact onward takes place in an altered continuity.

We've seen Kirk and company meet Khan in the Kelvin universe, but we have not yet seen them meet him in the First Contact universe. :p

Phoenix219 likes this.
  15. Cox of Seagulls

Cox of Seagulls Lieutenant Red Shirt

Are people seriously complaining about "small universe syndrome"? It's set on the same fucking ship as TOS.

LizStargaryen, 777, NCC-73515 and 9 others like this.
  16. Serveaux

That is my thought, as well.

Having a Noonien-Singh on the payroll is arguably "small universe." Uhura, Chapel and M'Benga? Same universe. Same ship different day. :cool:

17. Yistaan

How is Shang-Chi meeting up with other Avengers at the Avengers tower? There's no other superheroes at the Avengers tower? What a small universe the MCU has become! :p

18. cooleddie74

Some fans will complain about anything.

19. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And the rest will always complain about fans complaining.

Tim Thomason and Commander Troi like this.
  20. Yistaan

I don't find that to be the case. I think for example, Rogue One over at Star Wars is universally loved by all sides of Star Wars fandom, even those attached to the old EU/Legends universe that was abolished after the Disney buyout.