SNW uniforms and characters revealed (old and new)

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by NCC-73515, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Wednesday Addams

Wednesday Addams Princess of the Dark Arts Premium Member

It's nice, and I like a lot of his art (I do keep looking for Amy's name on the sunflower vase :lol:), but I thought it was a little overpriced for what it is.

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Opinions will vary. Kicking out a monarchy tends to piss them off for a few hundred years. Sometimes you have to be a bigger asshole to fight a bunch of assholes around you wanting to screw you over for not wanting their King. Napoleon abolished slavery in France, freed the serfs (even if they didn't want to be free), made Jewish people equal citizens, his reforms are still seen in modern Europe. That's not to say he did all good but it takes two to tango.

3. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

In France itself maybe, although the sources that I can find suggest that if he did, it was long after most other powers.

As far as French colonies go, he actually did the opposite, reinstating slavery after the Revolutionary Convention banned it.

Sci likes this.
  4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

France 1794
    Britain 1833
    America 1865

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing that Dr. M'Benga's full name will finally get added to the Official Record...?

Wednesday Addams likes this.
  6. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Commodore Commodore

As I recall, at least one novel has it as "Jabilo," while another has it as "Geoffrey." Meanwhile, the unproduced script that introduced the character had it as "Joseph."

7. DEWLine

The majority of novels where he shows up have him as "Jabilo M'Benga", with one splitting the difference by referring to him as "Jabilo Geoffrey M'Benga". Did not know about any unproduced TOS script, though.

hbquikcomjamesl likes this.
  8. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I always thought it was Geoffrey, but I just must have picked that up from a book I read in the 80 or 90s as a child.

9. DEWLine

I thought "Geoffrey" came from Crisis on Centaurus...? I need to re-read it again, flaws and all, either way.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'll likely go with name and a few backstory details from the recent-ish Vanguard novels, since current Trek seems happy to mine those sources for details (like Commander Una Chin-Riley, for example)

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^While Una does come from the novels, Chin-Riley was created for SNW, it just ended up in a novel published before the name was announced on the show.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Chin-Riley was in the Spock Autobiography which just released, but that's because Una was given the name in advance so she could include it in the book.

Wednesday Addams likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, fair enough. But the first name of Una was in the novels first (and named for Una McCormack, IIRC)

Ghouleddie74 likes this.