SNW uniforms and characters revealed (old and new)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by NCC-73515, Sep 9, 2021.

1. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I brought it up simply to put things in historical context, since the post I was replying to seemed to be based on the assumption that the current version of the Trek timeline was operative before the first mention of "2364" in TNG in 1988. Didn't think mentioning it would ruffle anyone's feathers.

(Also, the Okudas' Chronology isn't really "official." They make that clear themselves in the text. Only dates from it that have been adopted into canon are official. It's had to be revised on quite a few details over the years.)

2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's still the 2283 mention in Wrath of Khan back in 1982 though.

Yeah I remember the Okudas' omnipedia saying Cochrane's invention of warp was 2061, before First Contact made that 2063.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yep.

And for what it's worth I never said the current Trek chronology and dating system was official before "The Neutral Zone(TNG)," I simply said it was a really nice coincidence that the "78 years after" tagline fit in just perfectly with the eventual Mike Okuda chronology approved by Paramount. 2286 - 2364 may have been unintentional in the beginning but it sure worked out great and allows for TWOK and TSFS to happen prior to 2286 and the bottle of Romulan Ale from 2283 to fit into the continuity without any dating snafus.

lawman and Commander Troi like this.
  4. Yistaan

I still maintain that the biggest mistake Trek ever did was bring real world Earth years into its timeline. Some of us here might still be alive (including me) when 2063 comes and nothing happens propulsion wise (barring some massive scientific breakthrough which seems unlikely right now)

That was the whole reason TOS had stardates to begin with. Then they threw that all away. If they needed a month/year timeline, it should have been dated Federation Era, with years counting from the formation of the Federation, and the actual Earth year the Federation was formed left forever vague.

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, bringing real-world Earth years into the timeline was something that TOS itself did. While TOS didn't specify what year it took place in, it did give some rough estimates in relation to the real-world timeline. For instance, estimated two centuries from the 1990s in Space Seed, and that exchange of "I am going to lock you up for two hundred years." / "That ought to be just about right." in Tomorrow is Yesterday. (The Squire of Gothos seemed to be an outlier with its estimate). And there is the matter of those big "Eugenics Wars" or "last so-called World War" that Space Seed placed in the 1990s, only thirty years off from TOS's original broadcast. Thankfully that stuff didn't happen in real life.

Kor

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Commander Troi likes this.
  6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Forget that! I'm still not over the fact that the moon was blown out of the solar system by a nuclear explosion back in September 1999!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This stuff is constantly being rewritten, one can drive themselves mad or simply treat each show as its own thing. Only connected to previous iterations for the purpose of selling the newer versions.

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Good thing none of us expect any of this to happen.

Nerys Myk and BillJ like this.
  9. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

How would it make Kirk and Spock look foolish in TOS S1 "Space Seed"?

If the character is a descendant of Khan Noonian Singh; he lived 300 years before she was born. In "Space Seed" there were no records on the botany bay of who was on board. When they revived Khan, he just identified himself as Khan.

Soon after that we had a scene in the briefing room where the entire senior staff was looking at a picture of Khan Noonian Singh, and they all knew then exactly who he was and stated some facts that they must have gotten from history courses, In addition to what Spock or Kirk discovered in the ship's library computer to identify him completely in the first place.

What? Are you going to be upset that in that scene Spock didn't immediately volunteer that he served with a descendant of Khan when he was serving under Captain Christopher Pike?

I mean even if she is a descendant of Khan, unless there's some ridiculous subplot where she idolizes said descendant; I doubt she's going to have pictures of him around for Spock to look at.

10. Yistaan

We should actually. Because just a glance at the news shows our world's in a very bad place right now without outside help. But we make do with what we have.

11. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought most or all Aenar were blind.

And what's this with M'Benga, Chapel, and Uhura being aboard in the Pike era? Even the post-Cage Pike era? What about Phil Boyce and Mark Piper? What about Alden? And the unnamed communications non-com from "The Cage"?

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

So was Earth prior to in-universe first contact. Eugenics Wars, Sanctuary Districts, World War III complete with nukes being exchanged, the post-atomic horror...

13. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

And so was Earth in 1966. Star Trek has always been about hope that humanity survives and makes things better.

C.E. Evans likes this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And so it was in TOS and TNG production times.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That was the joke.

Is there a reason they can't be? Uhura is a cadet in SNW. Some wiggle room for Chapel and M'Benga too.

The Cage was four years prior to SNW, no reason that Boyce and Garison ( the non-com) couldn't have transferred off. WNMHGB is seven years after SNW, Piper and Alden probably haven't even set foot on the Enterprise yet.

16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was hoping to see Jose Tyler and Yeoman Colt (or whatever non-com rank she might be by this point).

Kor

Phoenix219 likes this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there seems to be assumption that officers stay at the same post forever. Of course Trek hasn't exactly given us reason to believe otherwise, but it does happen. The lack of Boyce, "Colt" (since we don't 100% know her name), or Tyler makes more sense than Uhura, Chapel or M'Benga in my opinion.

18. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

And how long ago did Korby go missing? Are we going to see him alive and them together, or is she already on the hunt?

hbquikcomjamesl likes this.
  19. Phoenix219

Yup. Looking forward to seeing that in Strange New Worlds, Season 6 or 7, maybe.

It would be funny to have things shift a little bit, like have a Lt. Commander Kirk serve with Pike, and have his Khan encounter; then later, have Khan marveling over Kirk's promotion to Captain, instead of Admiral, when they run back into him.

Knowing that the "First Contact" universe is pretty wide open post Enterprise, all the way up until Picard Season 1, and not having to care about canon issues, makes all of this way more fun to watch. This isn't the TOS timeline, and I won't pretend that it is anymore. Bring on Lt. Scott, ready to piss off Pike's Chief Engineer! Bring on brash young Lt. Commander Kirk, ready to butt heads with Pike! Maybe we'll finally see Riker/Picard (Decker/Kirk) done right with Kirk/Pike!

20. Phoenix219

I wonder if we could get a Lee Kelso at some point?

Same here, and at least a mention of Boyce. Jose Tyler connected to Ash somehow?

Yeoman Colt should have been one of the characters brought back for TOS proper, IMO. Unpopular opinion, but I always was much more fond of her and her one appearance, than all of Rand's.