Sneezing Etiquette

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Or, you know, everyone's bodies are different and he just happens to sneeze differently from you. When I sneeze people think it's a cough.

2. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just realized something: my dad, mom, sisters, and brother are loud sneezers, though I have to give them credit for at least trying to cover their mouths whenever possible. I can always tell when I feel a sneeze coming, so I always reach for my pocket hanky like a gunslinging desperado. :lol: Sometimes I even try to "delay" the sneeze by pinching my nose and closing my mouth while reaching for the Kleenex. When I'm alone in my room, I don't bother so much. But when I'm out in public or at work, I'm a lot more cautious.

3. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

We call sneezing into the elbow pit "vampire sneezing". Heh.

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Boy, I'd hate to be anywhere near that guy when he farts. :eek:

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

We all do, however, have control over our lungs and bodies, and we all have control over how we sneeze to some degree. If I wanted to I could make my sneezes sound like a tie-fighter screaming down the aisles, but I know it would be bothersome to people so I don't.

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm wondering how my youngest (and he's a Kindergartener, thanks) will sneeze when he gets older. Right now, his sneezes are an EVENT, truly awesome to behold! He has a loud, long, several second build up, then the explosion: aaaaaAAAAAAAA-CHOOOOOOO! And my wife thought my sneezes were impressive! (They are, I just usually have 8 or 10 in quick succession.) We really don't think he's artificially building them up, either.

As for etiquette, I try to sneeze into my elbow, or at least away from everyone when I can't get to my elbow. Not sure when I started doing that, but I'm pretty sure it was within the last 15 years, which is after college for me. I really don't remember anyone doing anything but using their hands before that. I think some sort of cultural/health shift happened with that pretty recently.

7. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

If i'm alone outside I just sneeze to my right. I always walk with my right side towards the.. ditch? When i'm with other people outside or inside, or when i'm inside at all, I cover my face.