Small things you'd've liked to've happened in TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dixie Flatline, Nov 11, 2013.

1. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed, R. Star! French must be Picard's native tongue, surely ...

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Just don't ask Picard how many lights are down there. He'll say four. :p

3. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That certainly would appear to be the case. Yes. But, for example in "Where No One Has Gone Before" Picard speaks to his mother, who appears to him in a vision. The actress actually is kind of interesting in her real life, and is American. Even SHE uses a French accent, against Stewart's British one. In "We'll Always Have Paris," Picard speaks to a French waiter in Paris and the waiter sounds like a real Frenchman! Not Picard, though. Only once did Picard ever speak French - and that was to Minuet, a Hologram woman! In any case, Picard's use of his British accent certainly challenged my Suspension of Disbelief, regarding his being a Frenchman. Challenged, yes, but not assualted, I'm pleased to say ...

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: To be fair, that kid was Wesley freakin' Crusher, the smartest human being ever to have set a foot on board a starship named Enterprise (if you believe season one). I mean, it isn't like it was just some random child who wandered into the wrong part of the ship. :D

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

And then have Jellico systematically beat the bigger and younger man to a bloody pulp, in a very "Kirk-like" fashion.

Every time I watch that episode, I want Jellico to back hand Riker.

:)

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Though Riker punching Jellico would complete the picture of his child-like behavior that episode. My money would be on Jellico though.

7. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I would've really liked Beverly and Picard to have had a relationship by the later seasons of the series.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, that last episode and thier possible marriage (and divorce) wasn't enough IMO.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    She looked and sounded like a cranky mom.

I'd have liked to see more of Sonia Gomez. I liked her character.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Yeah. They gave her so much focus, I thought she'd reacure at least once more. Maybe she resigned after that episode.

11. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Well, I would have already been happy had he spoken correct French. When French people say "cheers" it's "santé" (health), not "salut" (hello). :crazy:

Thus the only correct French words I remember uttered by Patrick Stewart have been "maman" (mom) and "merde" (crap). :lol: (okay, they got the singing of "Auprès de ma blonde" quite correct, gotta be grateful for little things).

Bob

12. Lance

I still remember watching 'Q Who' for the first time with my brother.

We had to stop the tape for a while because the scene at the start where she spills coffee over Picard started my brother on a laughing fit for a good five minutes. :rofl:

13. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Funny story. I once asked myself what sort of purpose this obvious comic relief character has in an episode like "Q Who", and watching some of her normal scenes, I was able to pin point it. She's that aspiring new comer who wants to explore and see the new things that the galaxy has to offer. This is the same kind of attitude that Picard has as well, only in a more strict absolute sense. When Q sends the Enterprise to J25, their sense of exploration gets the better of them when they come across the Borg. And what happens when this newly discovered life form attacks and kills crewmen on the Enterprise? Sonya freezes.

LAFORGE: If you can't reprogram, then reroute.
    SONYA: ...18 people. Dead, just like that.
    LAFORGE: I know. Just put it out of your head.
    SONYA: No, I can't. I keep seeing them.​

And at the end of this episode, Q delivers a line that fits with her moment of vulnerability.

Q: If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the timid.​

And that's it. Sonya is a timid character who wasn't prepared for the things she thought she wanted. If there were more episodes that featured her, wouldn't it have been a great to continue that storyline and show how serious one must be if they truly wish to take part in it? It's easy for a character like Picard to get over it because he's the main character. Sonya is a character who doesn't have the luxury of being the main character. Anything could happen to her. They could of had moments where she starts to doubt herself more often and realize that maybe she doesn't want to be an explorer. When she tries to seek answers to her problems, she gets various degrees of different answers. Some might say that they don't have time to baby sit others when things get tense, other might say that these things take time.

If her character chooses to leave, what would others think? Would Geordi try to persuade her to stay because of her skills that got her onboard? Maybe there could even be a moment where Picard tries to relate to her fears that even during their first encounter with the Borg, he made mistakes and had to do some things he wasn't prepared for.

I would have preferred her over Barclay. Big time.

14. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I recall it as being hot chocolate she spilled. ;)

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd liked to have seen Nechayev give and order that the crew followed without bitching and moaning about it, she didn't become an Admiral for nothing.

I'd also liked to have seen more of Doctor Selar.

16. Lance

^ Dr Selar would have been a good one to have back. :techman:

I'd like to have seen some implication of multiple shifts on the ship actually (I know we got some lip service about the duty rosters and shift patterns in 'Chain Of Command', but it would've been cool to have seen some of this stuff in action from time to time). Selar could maybe be the CMO of another shift, which is why she's evidently still on the ship but we never see her interact with Dr Crusher.

Maybe this kind of thing could have explained the multiple chief engineers in season one? They're all the chief engineer, albeit of different duty shifts. ;)

17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I heard somewhere that they also had the explanation that since the Galaxy-Class was so new and advanced, with only a couple ships on the go at the start of TNG, then the ship had multiple chief's in order to familiarise themselves and get them up to speed for when another ship became available.

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

IIRC they had a night shift episode but more would have been realistic. It's not like the bad guy only attacks when Picard is awake.

19. KirksFlyingFist

KirksFlyingFist Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wish Data's emotion chip could have been explored more in the series, philosophically it seems like a topic worth more exploration.

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I wish they hadn't dropped the friendship they were developing between Worf and Riker. Riker really should have been Cha'DIch in "Sins of the Father", not Picard.