Skillet (Christian rock band)

Moviefan2k4

Captain
Captain
OK, I know what some of you may already be thinking, based on this thread's title alone. "A Christian rock band? That's ridiculous; Christians can't make good music."

But in truth, history has shown the exact opposite. The contemporary Christian music movement (or "CCM", for short), first began in the late 1960s, and within a decade it was in full swing. Artists who first became popular in the late '70s and early '80s include the likes of Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Mylon LeFevre, and Steven Curtis Chapman. Early examples of all-out bands in the genre included Stryper, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Whitecross, and Petra.. But the idea of "Christian rock" really exploded in the 1990s, sending groups into the mainstream such as DC Talk, Third Day, Jars of Clay, Switchfoot...and of course, Skillet.

The latter was first formed in 1996, by frontman John L. Cooper (former vocalist for Tennessee progressive rock band Seraph), and his friend Ken Steorts, former guitarist for Urgent Cry. They met through touring together, but they disbanded soon after, so John and Ken's pastor encouraged them to form their own band as a side project. Trey McClurkin joined the band as a temporary drummer, but left in 2000. Cooper has said the band's name was meant to be humorous, as the other founding members had already been in previous bands, each with a different sound and style. The pastor of Covenant Community Church in Memphis (where the group was formed as a worship band side project) gave them their name as he felt they were like "southern cooking, where you just toss a bunch of different things into a big ol' skillet and see what it turns out like."

Skillet's debut self-titled album was released by ForeFront Records, on October 29, 1996. In the years since, they have released ten more, becoming one of the biggest gospel-oriented acts ever. John still serves as frontman, playing bass, acoustic guitar, and keyboards - he also contributes most of the lead vocals. His wife Korey provides rhythm guitar, synthesizers, occasional keyboard work, and some backing vocals. The band's current drummer is Jen Ledger, who's been a member since 2010; she mainly stays in that capacity while providing most of the backing vocals, though on a few songs she does sing lead. Finally, there is Seth Morrison, whose main addition is lead guitar, but he's also done backing vocals on live performances since 2019.

Skillet's most recent album, "Dominion", was released in 2022 and quickly gained 33 million global streams. Their entire body of work has risen to the level of 17 million albums, as of May 2023. John has said many times, that some in the music industry have told him, "Your band could be the biggest in the world, if you just stopped talking about Jesus so much." His response every time, has been a simple "No way." He has made it clear in interviews and such, that he would rather "side with God, and be judged by the world, than side with the world, and be judged by God".

Anyway, I've said all of this to give whoever has actually read this far, some necessary background on a group I personally think is truly awesome. Here's a few samples of their stuff - don't hesitate to let me know what you think. :)

I spent my early adult years listening to a lot of these bands. Still have some of their songs on my playlist to this day. I'll definitely give Skillet a listen.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard of Skillet, I’m afraid. I never really got into Nu Metal, so that has probably more to do with it than their Christian leanings. I think the only times I found it tolerable where when it crossed over to other genres I enjoy, like when Korn had The Cure on their MTV Unplugged session or when Linkin Park’s Mike Shinoda reworked Depeche Mode’s “Enjoy the Silence”.

As for the idea of Christian rock bands: Even though I’m an atheist I don’t actually mind listening to musicians or songs with religious undertones. Themes about belief can make for interesting song lyrics (the late great George Michael bemoaning a God who has seemingly abandoned his human children in his classic song “Praying for Time” comes to mind as an example). That said, I personally do consider it a bit weird to built your entire musical identity around your Christian belief. It’s obviously their prerogative, but I’m just a bit put off by it, if I’m to be honest.

You gotta hand it to religious people for at least making more songs, haha. I struggle to come up with much in the way of what would be self-professed “atheist music”. This iconic XTC track is probably a touchstone …

Don’t think I’ve ever heard of Skillet, I’m afraid. I never really got into Nu Metal, so that has probably more to do with it than their Christian leanings. I think the only times I found it tolerable where when it crossed over to other genres I enjoy, like when Korn had The Cure on their MTV Unplugged session or when Linkin Park’s Mike Shinoda reworked Depeche Mode’s “Enjoy the Silence”.

As for the idea of Christian rock bands: Even though I’m an atheist I don’t actually mind listening to musicians or songs with religious undertones. Themes about belief can make for interesting song lyrics (the late great George Michael bemoaning a God who has seemingly abandoned his human children in his classic song “Praying for Time” comes to mind as an example). That said, I personally do consider it a bit weird to built your entire musical identity around your Christian belief. It’s obviously their prerogative, but I’m just a bit put off by it, if I’m to be honest.

You gotta hand it to religious people for at least making more songs, haha. I struggle to come up with much in the way of what would be self-professed “atheist music”. This iconic XTC track is probably a touchstone …

Well, John L. Cooper has said sometimes, that his band is "living proof that Christians can tear the roof off, and still stay true to what they believe." A couple of the songs I included in this thread's first post were purposely chosen to illustrate that. They've done plenty of ballads and slower songs, but they've also done quite a few featuring very loud drums, screaming guitars, amazing synthesizer effects...all kinds of stuff. When they play live shows, some of their intros also feature violins or cellos, and the stage is often lit by lasers and/or smoke. So they definitely know how to be creative - there's no doubt at all about that.

So they definitely know how to be creative - there's no doubt at all about that.
I don’t doubt it at all. They seem to have a dedicated fanbase, so I’m sure they are doing their thing right.

Can’t say I’ve much interest in checking them out after reading stuff like this or this, though. Maybe just stick to making tracks about Jesus instead of making stupid comments like that.

I don’t doubt it at all. They seem to have a dedicated fanbase, so I’m sure they are doing their thing right.

Can’t say I’ve much interest in checking them out after reading stuff like this or this, though. Maybe just stick to making tracks about Jesus instead of making stupid comments like that.
I read some from both those links, and to me it just seems that John was trying to clarify his stances on a few things. Its not unusual for non-believers to misinterpret Christians, both in word and action. Such things happen in both the news and entertainment groups all the time.

A couple of the songs I included in this thread's first post were purposely chosen to illustrate that. They've done plenty of ballads and slower songs, but they've also done quite a few featuring very loud drums, screaming guitars, amazing synthesizer effects...all kinds of stuff.

I remember some of Stryper's old stuff. Those guys could rock when they wanted to. Petra, too.

Its not unusual for non-believers to misinterpret Christians, both in word and action. Such things happen in both the news and entertainment groups all the time.

Christians are like any other people: incredibly variable, both in personality and how they interpret their faith.

I'm really not a fan of their sound, much like I'm not a fan of similar sounding non-Christian metal bands that got popular around the same time.

Back when I was a bit more "churchy" and was singing in the youth choir, I briefly got into the band Petra. That about as close as I've come to enjoying the genre. I kinda got put off by it when some friends from my church were putting a rock band together and declined my offer to audition for lead singer because they didn't believe my faith was strong enough. That was a big FU in my mind.

OK, I know what some of you may already be thinking, based on this thread's title alone. "A Christian rock band? That's ridiculous; Christians can't make good music."

But in truth, history has shown the exact opposite. The contemporary Christian music movement (or "CCM", for short), first began in the late 1960s, and within a decade it was in full swing. Artists who first became popular in the late '70s and early '80s include the likes of Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Mylon LeFevre, and Steven Curtis Chapman. Early examples of all-out bands in the genre included Stryper, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Whitecross, and Petra.. But the idea of "Christian rock" really exploded in the 1990s, sending groups into the mainstream such as DC Talk, Third Day, Jars of Clay, Switchfoot...and of course, Skillet.

The latter was first formed in 1996, by frontman John L. Cooper (former vocalist for Tennessee progressive rock band Seraph), and his friend Ken Steorts, former guitarist for Urgent Cry. They met through touring together, but they disbanded soon after, so John and Ken's pastor encouraged them to form their own band as a side project. Trey McClurkin joined the band as a temporary drummer, but left in 2000. Cooper has said the band's name was meant to be humorous, as the other founding members had already been in previous bands, each with a different sound and style. The pastor of Covenant Community Church in Memphis (where the group was formed as a worship band side project) gave them their name as he felt they were like "southern cooking, where you just toss a bunch of different things into a big ol' skillet and see what it turns out like."

Skillet's debut self-titled album was released by ForeFront Records, on October 29, 1996. In the years since, they have released ten more, becoming one of the biggest gospel-oriented acts ever. John still serves as frontman, playing bass, acoustic guitar, and keyboards - he also contributes most of the lead vocals. His wife Korey provides rhythm guitar, synthesizers, occasional keyboard work, and some backing vocals. The band's current drummer is Jen Ledger, who's been a member since 2010; she mainly stays in that capacity while providing most of the backing vocals, though on a few songs she does sing lead. Finally, there is Seth Morrison, whose main addition is lead guitar, but he's also done backing vocals on live performances since 2019.

Skillet's most recent album, "Dominion", was released in 2022 and quickly gained 33 million global streams. Their entire body of work has risen to the level of 17 million albums, as of May 2023. John has said many times, that some in the music industry have told him, "Your band could be the biggest in the world, if you just stopped talking about Jesus so much." His response every time, has been a simple "No way." He has made it clear in interviews and such, that he would rather "side with God, and be judged by the world, than side with the world, and be judged by God".

Anyway, I've said all of this to give whoever has actually read this far, some necessary background on a group I personally think is truly awesome. Here's a few samples of their stuff - don't hesitate to let me know what you think. :)

Skillet, POD and Project 86 defined my teen years.

Excellent music.

I remember some of Stryper's old stuff. Those guys could rock when they wanted to. Petra, too.
I never actually listened to Stryper growing up; I just mentioned them as an historical example. But I did like Petra as a kid, and my favorite from them is called "The Coloring Song". Its fairly simple, but the lyrics are powerful. If you haven't heard it, I'd definitely look it up on YouTube.

Christians are like any other people: incredibly variable, both in personality and how they interpret their faith.
Agreed. Sadly, there's a few bad apples, and more opinionated non-believers often use them as an excuse to hurl venomous insults and baseless accusations. The sometimes hard-to-accept fact of the matter is that unlike many other worldviews, Christianity is founded on the concept of absolute truth...which tends to bother some people.

Back when I was a bit more "churchy" and was singing in the youth choir, I briefly got into the band Petra. That about as close as I've come to enjoying the genre. I kinda got put off by it when some friends from my church were putting a rock band together and declined my offer to audition for lead singer because they didn't believe my faith was strong enough. That was a big FU in my mind.
As a fellow representative of the Christian faith, I want to offer my heartfelt apologies - they should not have treated you like that. I've heard it said by several believers, "You don't judge people by where they are on the journey. You judge them by where they're going." As long as you're headed in the right direction, that's what matters. God is extraordinarily patient, and we as His children still need to grow up some in that regard.

That's a ridiculous opinion - anyone can make good music.

One of the best gigs I've been to was a band called Transatlantic featuring (very) committed Christian Neal Morse.

I'm sure there's a lot of Christians in rock bands. There's Christians all over the place ! This does beg the question however, of why Christian Rock is needed as a genre. Dave Mustaine is born again and Megadeth is absolutely his band, but they're not "Christian Rock".

I'm an atheist so maybe I'm missing something, but...why Christian Rock ?

That's a ridiculous opinion - anyone can make good music.

One of the best gigs I've been to was a band called Transatlantic featuring (very) committed Christian Neal Morse.

I'm sure there's a lot of Christians in rock bands. There's Christians all over the place ! This does beg the question however, of why Christian Rock is needed as a genre. Dave Mustaine is born again and Megadeth is absolutely his band, but they're not "Christian Rock".

I'm an atheist so maybe I'm missing something, but...why Christian Rock ?
For many years, rock music in general was deemed by legalistic fundamentalists as belonging to the devil...and even now, there's still some folks who hold that view. Bands like the ones I mentioned have been trying, in part, to break that stereotype, providing quality entertainment while also preserving and respecting their faith.

Here's a recent interview with John, where he speaks about the band's early years, and some of his views on various matters. A small disclaimer, though: he briefly details his opinion of the word "tolerance", and how in he thinks our current culture often has a somewhat confusing interpretation of it. But in total, he's very calm and respectful here. Its only a 13-minute clip, so if you want to know just a little more about Skillet's co-founder, check it out. :)

My biggest problem with these groups is their messaging outside of their music. Some will advocate no sex before marriage and then get knocked up while single. The hypocrisy is a bit much for me. It doesn’t mean the music is bad. But if they know they can’t maintain their messaging standards, then they shouldn’t say anything.

My biggest problem with these groups is their messaging outside of their music. Some will advocate no sex before marriage and then get knocked up while single. The hypocrisy is a bit much for me. It doesn’t mean the music is bad. But if they know they can’t maintain their messaging standards, then they shouldn’t say anything.
I think when it comes to sensitive issues like this, too many people expect all Christians to be perfect. You can believe in a principle, make a mistake, repent, and God will still forgive you for it...even if your peers won't. We're all fallible, and the most honest believers are people who don't pretend otherwise. The only completely perfect person who ever walked this Earth was Jesus Christ, and both the Sanhedrin and Romans hated Him so much, they labeled Him a blasphemer and crucified Him for it.

I think when it comes to sensitive issues like this, too many people expect all Christians to be perfect. You can believe in a principle, make a mistake, repent, and God will still forgive you for it...even if your peers won't. We're all fallible, and the most honest believers are people who don't pretend otherwise. The only completely perfect person who ever walked this Earth was Jesus Christ, and both the Sanhedrin and Romans hated Him so much, they labeled Him a blasphemer and crucified Him for it.
But I also don’t tell people to be perfect.

As a fellow representative of the Christian faith, I want to offer my heartfelt apologies - they should not have treated you like that. I've heard it said by several believers, "You don't judge people by where they are on the journey. You judge them by where they're going." As long as you're headed in the right direction, that's what matters. God is extraordinarily patient, and we as His children still need to grow up some in that regard.

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. My relationship with God has been a weird one over the years. I was born into a moderately Catholic home (Church every Sunday, youth group, high holy days, etc), but we didn't have photos of the Pope or crosses hanging in the house. My first wife was Christian, but did not care to convert to Catholicism, which was ok by me. But after a time, I just stopped going to church. My now-grown kids aren't overly religious either. My current wife is an atheist, but we respect each other's beliefs. Her also-atheist son tried to challenge me a bit on my beliefs, but I never took the bait. :lol:

But I also don’t tell people to be perfect.
Neither do I; its pointless and doesn't get anybody anywhere. But I do believe in moral absolutes, and if I speak up at all, I do my very best to be gentle about it. But there are some people who won't listen, no matter what...and in the end, we all just have to accept that.

Back