Spoilers Siren- Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Mar 30, 2018.

1. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just watched all 4 season 2 episodes yesterday. Kind of glad I watched them all at once, because as mentioned above, they haven't exactly been moving at warp speed.

Not a whole ton of mermaid action so far. Levi at the bar was kind of fun. I like the idea that there's no downtime in the ocean. After setting up the sonic explosion problem in the very first scene of the season, it looks like Xander of all people is finally going to be the one to do something about it. Maybe.

And yeah, we finally got some of that freaky deaky stuff at the very end of episode 4.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

This season has been a bit of slow burn so far, but, whoa, things are starting to pay off.

(I wonder if this is a Freeform thing? CLOAK & DAGGER also took its time last season.)

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

When I’m having a bad day at work I wonder if I hiss at my coworkers if they’d back off? I’d probably end up out on the street but it’s tempting.

4. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

Worked for Pee-Wee Herman.

5. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoa, that was quite the cliffhanger finale. Even if it's just the Spring Finale.

6. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the only show on television I legitimately root for a polyamorous relationship to emerge on.

Also, for Mermaids to be shown to be cannibals.

Come on, you know want to eat those humans!

Anwar likes this.
  7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think it's interesting how swiftly cultural mores are changing with the current generation of young adults who are the network's target audience -- that there's more widespread acceptance of polyamory and that a show like this (on a Disney-owned network, mind) can present it matter-of-factly as a healthy romance rather than something strange or controversial. I think that's cool. I'm so sick of stories about jealousy and mistrust between partners.

So after a fairly slow burn to the story arc in this half-season, everything builds to a climax really quickly in the last 5 minutes of the "spring finale." A lot of stuff happened very quickly, with no time to savor the victory over the oil company because there were a couple of cliffhangers suddenly sprung on us.

Once they did that scene midway through of Calvin getting caught on the hook and getting dragged by the cable, my first thought was, "Okay, nice that they're realistically showing the dangers of the fishing life," but then a moment later my writer's perspective kicked in and I realized "Oh, of course, they're establishing the cable and hooks as dangerous now because somebody's going to have a deadlier accident with them in the climax."

8. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is Sarge dead? When they showed him getting his throat slit, I certainly assumed that was the end of him. But the mermaids seemed to be trying to do something with him or take him somewhere at the end. Were they taking his dead body off to mourn him or to save him? Anyone get a better read of that scene than me?

What about Calvin and Xander? They gave Calvin the ultra obvious setup, telling his girlfriend how much he loved her.

Looking at the structural collapse on that drilling ship, it would be surprising if everyone on that ship was safe and sound. But surely this show isn't interested in a storyline that shows Ben and Maddie feeling guilty for killing innocent people.

Apparently the second half of the season airs in summer, maybe starting in July.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I was wondering about that. After all, the opening scenes made a big point that the reason the military wanted to study Ryn was because of mermaids' extraordinary regenerative abilities. So it's hard to say.

Hmm, they'll probably keep Xander around, but Curtis Lum is only a recurring guest, so Calvin might be a goner.

I dunno -- this show often tends to be smarter than I expect. They might actually address that.

I believe the preview they showed did indeed say July.

Anwar likes this.