Simon Pegg, Doug Jung To Write Star Trek 3

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Firebird, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Since when is the name of the writer a spoiler?

2. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    A comedian and a semi-nobody? Way to inspire confidence, Paramount.

Pun intended.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Because Star Trek's writing staff has always been overrun with somebodies...

Orci was probably the biggest name to ever pen a Trek film.

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    That's true - he certainly had a longer track record of success than most of the earlier ones. :lol:

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    I suppose an argument could be made for Logan, but since everything he'd written prior to Nemesis all saw major rewrites, I don't know if he counts.

6. Serveaux

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Sure he does. So that's at least one. Meyer was a novelist who'd written a few scripts and directed a film (and a TV movie). Livingston had an established career. Obviously Moore and Braga had TV experience but no feature experience.

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    What we need is a real true fan to write the next movie script!*

*This is sarcasm.

8. Serveaux

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Pegg's a true fan.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    I volunteer! My big screen treatment of "The Omega Glory" will be ready by next Friday! :lol:

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    But he's not a real true fan! There's a difference that only I know, because as a real true fan, I can recognize all other real true fans.

Yes! Someone dig up Morgan Woodward, or you know, call him. Whatever! Let's get started on this guaranteed box office success™!

11. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Or a stretch that the writers have power over studios, producers and directors. Take Orci for example...

I like the choice of Pegg as co-writer (note the "co-") so far.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Dave Bautista as Cloud William!

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question, but it's playing on my mind. How would Jung and Pegg get chosen in a situation like this? Would they have pitched a story (or rewrite ideas, if that's the case)? Or were they simply chosen with no idea of what they'll do, but those who chose them believe they can come up with a good story (or a good re-work, if that's the case)?

Pegg must feel like a kid in a candy shop, right now.

14. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Here's the thing with Pegg.

I think people are focusing too much on the funny. Yes the Edgar Wright trilogy were all comedies, but they were all more layered than that. They were fun action movies, and they had a lot of heart and character development in them as well.

I think to make a solid Trek film Simon just has to play with the levels a little bit. Tone the comedy down a bit and turn the other bits up. As for the other fellow this looks like his big break. His writing credits do not impress.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Why is it a stretch? It's just the nature of business that there are decision-makers and their subordinates. There's going to be someone at the top of the pyramid, someone who has veto power over everyone else's decisions. In TV, that's the executive producer/showrunner, and in the modern TV industry, showrunners are almost always writers. But feature films developed differently, and so the veto power is with the director or the producer. Directors and producers are totally capable of throwing out every single word of a script or altering it into something totally different from what the writer intended, and the writer of that script has no recourse to prevent it. TV is a writers' medium, but feature films are very much not.

16. Serveaux

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Writers have no more control on television than in the movies, unless they're also producers. For every writer/showrunner there are dozens of working writers on staff or freelancing (and a lot more writers looking for work).

17. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    All Do respect to Simon Pegg ( I am especially a fan of Shawn of the Dead), he may be playing the role of Scotty, and he may have written for some of his own movies, but I am just not convinced he's right for this. I'd wager if most posters here were being honest, few actually knew who Doug Jung was before this article, without looking him up.

But let's take a look at some of the better Star Trek movies of the past:

Star Trek TMP (as was a number of ST books) was written by Alan Dean Foster, who as it happens wrote the novelizations of ST 2009 & STID, as well. I think HE would have been a good choice for Star Trek 13, actually. At least as one of the writers, anyway. He's a great sci fi writer and author in general, IMHO, and I think he could bring back more of that missing sci fi element.

Orci did have a lot of accomplishments especially with Herc and Xena, and you are better off NOT mentioning Transformers, but Harve Bennett and Nicholas Meyer had a hell of a lot more sci fi chops than Orci when each took on Star Trek. Bennett especially given his Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman connection, which in 70s/early 80s were popular.

So I would say these guys were far from nobodies.

And I know all too well what forum I'm posting in with this thread (translation: I know there a lot of TNG-ENT era haters that post in here), but FC is one of the things that B&B and Moore actually got right, IMHO.

So bringing it around, I would have liked to see writer(s) with more sci fi experience.

18. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Well I'm no TNG-ENT hater, at least. Hell, I'd prefer DS9 be given an eighth season, but maybe Pegg can tackle that later. If Colm Meaney's somehow too busy I'm pretty sure he knows just the actor to replace him, too.

All seriousness: I get that outlook. Although I don't think I'd dig an Alan Dean Foster script very much. Not from what I've read of his in the past.

Nah, I'm quite pleased with this announcement. Certainly there are a few names out there I might have preferred, but I'm cool with Pegg. I was cool with Orci, though, so honestly I'm just cool.

19. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    Nice try but I'm not the one who took a comment about an unnamed director personally and tried to lecturize someone over their vocabulary and the 'law' in a quite transparent attempt to simply derail the topic and the point I was making re: why Pegg doesn't come across, to me, as someone who is a fan of women unless they are eye candy. That was just one example at the top of my mind when I made my flippant comment, but it isn't the only statement by him that gave me sexist vibes.
    Sorry if my opinion is hurting someone's delicate feelings here, but I'm not impressed by his writing and I don't see all this depth and character development he supposedly is able to put in his scripts. And at best, he seems to only care about the male characters anyway. No wonder why some people are happy about him writing trek. I don't.

Neverthless, I think I'm as entlitled to have opinions as you and your friend and it doesn't seem to me I called other posters names here. If you want to disagree with me you are entlitled to do that. What you are not entlitled to is calling me crazy simply because you don't like my opinion.

20. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Re:
    To Co-Write Star Trek 3
    I would feel guilty to let you go through life repeating this sort of phonetic malapropism. You mean you want to give Pegg all the respect he is due before saying something contrary. It's like when your bills are due - not when you do your bills. I began reading the sentence thinking it was a claim that all people DO respect Pegg. Well, that would be nice if it were true, but it's always possible to find someone out there who disrespects any particular person. Star Trek is rife with disrespected writers and directors. Some deserve it. Some don't. All due respect.