Show me your body art!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CookieMonster, Dec 3, 2008.

1. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

I think the modern tattoos with colours are beautiful, and applaud people who choose to use them tastefully to decorate themselves. As for the 'cheap' label, so many things were supposed to be a sign of a cheap woman when I was growing up, we'd all still be in crinolines. If it looks good and you like it, go for it.

I don't have any 'art' myself, as I'm phobic about needles. I had my ears pierced back when I was in college, and just recently overcame both my fear of needles and my control isues enough to have my navel pierced. I was debating posting a pic when I had it done, but right now it's complaining (I've been wearing skirts for work and they rub on the waist) so now isn't a good time. When It's healed, I'll show it off!

2. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

This one isn't me... but my older sister...

[​IMG]

...I thought tattoo lovers may like this :) That was a few years ago and photographed for Skin Deep. There have been many tweaks, additions and such since.

There were further shots, but with that being my sister and all I stopped buying the magazine until she assured me that issue was long gone.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Your sister is hot. -Well aisde from the giant, ugly, tattoo covering her entire back, but hot. ;)

4. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Why are you still here?:rolleyes:

5. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I almost warned jamestyler that something like this would be said. Should have figured it'd come from you. :rolleyes:

And you wonder why you're single.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

... Because I enjoy the female form?

:confused:

7. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

That tattoo is impressive, jamestyler. Any idea how long that took? I imagine that was a multiday process and the pre-planning had to be quite the task as well.

-nobody

8. CookieMonster

CookieMonster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IcehoneyRose is somewhere in never never land
    WOW that is a lot of work and she had an awesome artist. Must have taken a year or so to have done. Maybe more. Its beautiful.

9. Bears Discover Fire

Bears Discover Fire Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no tattoos, but if I ever do get one, I'm going all out like this. Full color, to boot.

Gorgeous. Can you explain the symbolism to us?

10. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I didn't take it personally when you insulted my tattoos, because I figured you weren't being intentionally mean or malicious -- you've never struck me as that kind of guy. However, now, after people have pointed out that it was inappropriate to make such comments about my tattoos, you've gone and done it again. Combining a sexual comment with an insult about a woman's body is hugely sexist and highly offensive. I thought you did it to me out of obliviousness -- now I'm not so sure. I find your comments distasteful, but I wouldn't be surprised if jamestyler and his (or her) sister found them hurtful as well. Both jamestyler and I deserve apologies.

This thread is about sharing and enjoying body art. If you're not into it, that's cool, but you don't need to cast aspersions on those of us who are. A backhanded compliment is no compliment at all.

11. CookieMonster

CookieMonster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IcehoneyRose is somewhere in never never land
    *standing ovation*

Thank you TSQ for that post. :techman:

12. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Sexist? No, not really. Clueless? Definitely. He's obviously not into tattoos, which makes me wonder why he bothers looking through this thread.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's just Trekker. He's not happy unless he's complaining about something. :p

14. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I stand by my comment that a sexual remark in combination with an insult about a woman's body is not only hugely sexist, but fundamentally sexist. I can't see how it could be considered otherwise.

15. Krieg1981

Krieg1981 Commodore Commodore

That is totally brutal. I'm envious!

16. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

My family comes from one of those very stereotypical small (minded) towns, With he body art and my profession and lifestyle we both have very thick skins... although obviously her armour is obviously better decorated ;)

It took around a year to finish the base of that part with the time she had available, all based on a painting she did when she was 17/18. Her tattoos have been an ongoing process for twelve years, whenever I see her theres more added or tweaked.

There's more that reaches around her waist as well as down her thighs, and since that photo shoot there's been more on her shoulders and arms.

She's quite the hit at biker meetups :lol:

I wish I knew, to be honest. All I know about them is that it's all her personal artwork that she's crafted, and thankfully she's had so much done she gets a huge discount.

17. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Great thread guys. Some awesome work here.

Hopefully in the near future I'll be joining you... cooking up my very own mark of nerdom concept. :D

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Didn't you learn anything the last time? Warning for Trolling. Comments to PM.

19. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally. People who walk in say "I want a tatoo" and pick something out a chapbook, I just do not understand. I thought about getting a tatoo for years and didn't because I couldn't think of anything I wanted on my body forever.

Wow. Was this done in Glasgow? Who's the artist?

@thestrangequark: the hummingbird is really excellent.

Okay, I took some time before work yesterday to hook the iSight up to my iBook and get some caps. It was challenging due to lighting and trying to manuever the camera around. Please forgive the history lesson on the way:

1. This one was my first and is more than 15 years old; the nipple piercing visible in the shot was done in the same year, but I took it out for a few years before getting it re-done with the bar a few years ago. Naturally I picked one of the most painful areas (on a man, anyway) to get first tat. Guy who did it was just starting out; his colleague/mentor said it was the best he'd done to-date. One thing I want to change is the eyespot, which shouldn't be visible; otherwise it's great as-is -- design drawn by hand by the artist from a reference photograph I provided. Work done at Anubis in Santa Cruz:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/3096818079_eb293d6279_o.jpg

2&3. Got these two after I moved to San Francisco within a year of each other. This one and the next two were done at Lyle Tuttle on Columbus Avenue in the mid-late 90s (yes my skin takes the ink well):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3110/3097656432_16f5b4dc1a_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/3096818217_ce953371c9_o.jpg

4. This one is also from Lyle Tuttle and was a birthday present from my wife. She did the art design with my input; I was aiming for something tribal, but not using any actual tribal design. Yes it's another orca and it's on my forearm (tough to photograph because it wraps around a bit):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/3097656468_6d4f280d76_o.jpg

5. My most recent one. A father's day gift from my wife from a few years ago. Done in Stirling at Lab Munkie. I just used a large Hebrew font and handed them a printout. The guy tried re-interpreting it for me at first, but I just wanted what I gave them exactly. My daughter's name on my left upper arm below the colourful orcas:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/3096818179_634278e1ba_o.jpg

There's three other things I want to get done, two of which are more orcas and one will be a massive one on my upper back, but I just haven't banked the money for it yet. My daughter's school has an excellent artist who works at a place in Glasgow with a Japanese name and was an acquaintance of Mr. Tuttle, so I'll probably go with him.

With regards to comments about defilement, well, being a Jew I've definitely desecrated my body in the eyes of the faithful, but I think it's worth jeopardising the ressurection ;-). Oh, two other piercings besides: right ear, which I sized up to 10g and then let close years ago; prince albert which I also took out for a year+ and then reconsidered and reinstalled myself.

20. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Well, if he said it about a guy, for one.