Poll Should they just release the SLV on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Lance, May 20, 2019.

?

Should they just release the SLV on blu ray?

1. They should release the Special Longer Version on blu ray

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. They should release the Directors Edition on blu ray

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. They should release both the SLV *and* the DE on blu ray

26 vote(s)
    60.5%
  4. I'm happy with the theatrical cut on blu ray

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

They can even include Kirk's spacesuit pursuit with completed FX on the SLV bluray.

Kor and Pauln6 like this.
  2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They might have to tweak the scene where he catches Spock to disguise the change in space suit. It could be done but if it ever is, I doubt it will be the studio that will do it!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Armus likes this.
  3. grandmoffjon

grandmoffjon Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm guessing the problems in this scene might be the main argument for the studio to not update the SLV to HD. It's not approved by the director, it has unfinished scenes that were not supposed to be seen by an audience, it's a network edit and how many of those have been released lately in the best definition? The guys from the Director's Edition were pretty dismissive of it. That might be a general feeling around the studio too.

4. Armus

I really think the scene works. It has energy, a terse exchange between Kirk and McCoy, a cool sound effect when the door opens, and a gorgeous view of Spock from Kirk's perspective. Its a pity the two space suits don't match!

5. grandmoffjon

Oh, I wouldn't mind it in the film were it finished... apart from the moment where Bones just stands awkwardly still waiting for the door to veeery slowly close. In fact, the framing of this scene is not quite right... the tension you speak of asks for closer framing.

6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a comparison, for better or worse, Superman: The Movie got a decent blu-ray release of the extended TV version a couple years back (all in the theatrical aspect ratio, too).

One would think that it wouldn't be too much trouble for somebody to scan the TMP:SLV at high resolution and do a basic, quick and dirty home video release without any cleanup or remastering. Since it's more of a niche item, it could even be distributed through the Warner Archive Collection, like Paramount has arranged with certain other titles from their catalog (since apparently Paramount can't get with the program and start their own MOD disc service :rolleyes:).

Kor

7. grandmoffjon

Good call, I never saw that version, don't know if it's supposed to be better or worse... then again, for me, the moment Lex Luthor appears, the movie loses itself.

8. Kor

The TV version of Superman is 45 minutes longer than the theatrical release. As I recall, the Salkinds wanted to put back in as much stuff as possible so they could charge ABC TV more based on length. :lol:

Kor

9. Pauln6

I like the trimmed shots from the DE but I'd prefer it if none of the dialogue was cut. Most of the scenes just need tightening slightly. I saw an attempt on Facebook to splice some of Uhura's frantic attempts to contact Starfleet, reduced in volume, as background chatter to a conversation with Kirk. I thought it worked quite well. It kept her dialogue but didn't drag on the movie.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Are the extra dialogue scenes from the SLV not included on the Blu-ray? I would think you'd be able to piece them back in.

The unfinished Shatner spacesuit scene can stay out, of course. Not that I ever noticed it was unfinished watching the VHS when I was younger. :D

11. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Slightly off topic - what extra scenes does this contain? I've got the directors cut of Superman The Movie which has a few minutes of extra scenes (most of which are pretty good too) but as a massive fan of the movie I'd be interested in seeing this.

12. Kor

This site attempts to list out all of the differences, noting 53 identifiable instances of additional footage: https://www.supermanhomepage.com/the-story-behind-superman-the-movie-extended-cut/

Kor

Smellmet likes this.
  13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That might've been a crude test I did. Someone else did their own version of it after. I made that to demonstrate why the SLV additions don't work, because they are dropped in crudely rather than intercut.

David cgc and Pauln6 like this.
  14. Pauln6

Yes it was very similar, but featuring a bit more of Uhura before the switch so that her lines didn't bleed into so much of the other dialogue. I wouldn't say the SLV 'doesn't work' (lots of people prefer the SLV) but rather that 'many of the additions would work better if...'

As long as her dialogue is quiet enough so as not to impact on the dialogue that is more significant to the plot, I actually think it ramps up the drama and tension a bit more and improves the scene without increasing the run time significantly. That's why I'd love to see how a hybrid cut would work .

Armus likes this.
  15. Maurice

Well, yes. The problem with that dialog as used in the SLV was it's a just a raw take where they had her do a bunch of variations on the line and someone decided to drop the whole thing into the film.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  16. Armus

Some of those takes are better than what we saw on the theatrical version. Bones's line, "You've used this emergency to get the Enterprise back", sounds more wooden on the theatrical and DE version cut. They used Deforest Kelley's best reading on the SLV.

Pauln6 likes this.
  17. Maurice

They looped a lot of the lines. DeForest Kelly was unhappy with some of that.

18. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Interestingly, this dialogue appendix from the shooting script doesn't present any of her dialogue as alts. I get the impression most of it is supposed to be background chatter to the scene.
    [​IMG]

19. Maurice

I know it was scripted. It was never intended to be dropped in as a big chunk as the SLV did. That was my point.

20. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would like to have versions of the movie including deleted scenes, remastered, in one Blu ray/ UHD disc; it's a history of these pieces which should be available. Does anyone know how are the sales going for Trek movies? Does those figures constitute a multi-version opus?

XCV330 likes this.