Should the Picard Show ignore ST-2009 destruction of Romulus?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Phil123, Aug 18, 2018.

?

Should the Picard Show ignore Romulus destination from ST-2009

1. Yes - a nice attempt to tie the reboot to prime, but keep it part of the Kelvinverse future

19 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. No - they said it happened in prime so it did.

99 vote(s)
    83.9%
  1. Leathco

Leathco Commander Red Shirt

Honestly, I would be interested in the show being set in the Kelvin Universe, with Romulus still being around and Vulcan being gone instead, and significantly changing Picards history that we commonly know.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except, this is an alternate timeline, not a destruction of the Prime timeline. So, Spock may see it as an exile for his failure as the Prime Timeline still exists, as established by "Parallels" information that Spock would know.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You don't know that he would.

4. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Picard can broker the peace for the Romulan civil war, the fall out from the destruction of the homeworld. (With the assistance of Admiral Saavik)

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

Why in the world would you ignore it?

A tie-in to the movie that re-invigorated Trek and the longest running Trek character ever? Check.

A situation rife with drama and intrigue dropped right on your lap? Check.

The most continuity-hungry fanbase in all of fandom gets a big fat piece of steak to chew on? Check.

You'd be arrogant to ignore it and a complete fool to try and say it didn't happen.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

"I SAW IT HAPPEN! DON'T TELL ME IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!"

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m sure they will. It’s on screen so it’s official canon. Like STO they'll just say that the surviving Romulans have found a new planet to call their homeworld.

Depending on the story (I assume it’ll be one of those annoying season long arcs again), that part could be completely irrelevant.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They'll just shifted the government to Constantinoplus

Rahul, XCV330, Philip Guyott and 3 others like this.
  9. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Their new homeworld will be called 'Mol'Rihan'. However the universal translators will change it to 'New Romulus' :vulcan:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

What happens in NuTrek stays in NuTrek. Likewise, ignore STD as well.

It's been 24 years since the end of TNG, so Picard should be a retired ambassador, working on the family vineyard and having to deal with Irumodic Syndrome. It'll be a very interesting character piece about aging and the ravages of time on us all and how a once great man with a stellar career is also at the mercy of his own body's failings.

Rahul and Phil123 like this.
  11. Phil123

Phil123 Commander Red Shirt

They'll never do that but it would be great if they did.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. It is an incredibly storytelling opportunity, and could even come off the heal of Nemesis as well with Picard seeing what had happen to the Romulans in that story and perhaps being more cautious in his dealings.

slappy and Relayer1 like this.
  13. Phil123

Yes it could be used well. i hope that if it is mentioned/used, they do not say anything nearly as stupid as "a star will explode, and threaten to destroy the galaxy." You cannot make that claim without some pretty hefty explanation.

Make it more of a Praxis type situation. Damaged the Romulan Empire, in particular their government. No the galaxy.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Too late, CBS has already acknowledged Romulus destruction as happening in Prime,

And why would they ignore DSC? That makes no sense. I could see them not mentioning anything from DSC, as that would be over 130 years ago, but they probably won't contradict anything from it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    CRM-114 likes this.
  15. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

The guys at Red Letter Media posted a video about an idea for a Captain Picard show one of the guys had. Somewhat on-topic inasmuch as he says his story would ignore the destruction of Romulus. No real spoilers if you're interested in watching it, but I will say it's the sort of story only a fan would come up with:

Phil123 likes this.
  16. Phil123

Yeah I love RLM but his idea here is not that good.

CRM-114 likes this.
  17. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

It's three parts TNG with a heavy dose of VOY. There really is no new idea there, just a heavy rehash of what came before. That said, there are fans would trip over themselves to see this idea get made.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You do know it's being made by the same people behind Discovery, right?:rommie:

Turtletrekker likes this.
  19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

CBS won't ignore it. It's canon. Hell; the non-canon Star Trek Online game Devs BUILT Romulus and had a story line developed; and CBS informed them that wouldn't work because Romulus was going to be destroyed in the 'Prime' universe as part of the story line for ST:2009. (And this was prior to anyone else aside from CBS/Paramount and those involved with making ST:2009 knowing Romulus would be destroyed in the Prime Universe.)

So, yes, this fact won't be retconned or ignored in the Picard series is my bet.

20. Xon-Ur

Xon-Ur Lieutenant Red Shirt

If this were a TNG-era sequel, I'd say it has to be acknowledged and addressed. If this is just about Picard, which is what all indicators are at this point, I'd say it can be referenced occasionally but not at the expense of Picard. Focusing a great deal on interstellar politics and upheaval is a big-picture idea that I don't think we'll see in this series. I'd rather see us learning about the new status quo in bits and pieces and focusing on Picard more. If there's a new 25th century series (and there damn well should be), then we can focus on the Romulans. I like the idea I've seen here and there that the surviving Romulans choose reunification with the Vulcans as a means of survival. There's a lot of dramatic potential there.