Should the new Klingon's still use Bat'leth's?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jayson1, Apr 5, 2017.

1. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

My personal explanation for this has long been that the computer and sensor technology is such that hand phasers are able to tell what their wielder is looking at, and also to optimize targeting based on a similar tech to what is used in some cameras today to determine where the focus should be.
    It isn't a perfect explanation, but maybe they use the blade weapons because they can beat up or cut into opponents *without* doing much damage to the materials of a ship or station that they may intend to take as a prize?

As an aside to that notion, I'd really like to see a weapon introduced - Klingon, Fed, or otherwise - that is specifically intended for deck-clearing with minimum damage to the ship. Like something that rapid fires razor blades, maybe. Only problem is that if it's too good/effective, they'd play hell explaining why we didn't see it "later" in TOS, TNG, etc.

2. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That logic doesn't work when Dukat and Garak were gunning down dozens of Klingons at a time, a damaged prize is better then no prize at all, the Klingons could repair the station after they take it.

Hitler likely damaged Paris before he took it, that is cost of doing business in war, sending in German troops with just knives would have persevered the city more, but the Germans would have lost.

I want the Klingons to be menacing and they are not if they bring swords to a gun fight.

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Might want to factor in that the Klingons simply enjoy that type of activity.

Otherwise they would beam in poison gas at thousands of locations inside the station and be done with it.