Should the Borg be the villain in Trek 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 22, 2013.

?

borg for Trek 3

1. yes.

20.7%
  2. no.

70.7%
  3. save them for ST 4 (if there is one)

8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm not picking on you, but I think this is part of the problem with some people and their relationship with Star Trek. Not every Klingon is a warrior, the franchise mostly treats them as such. Just because a couple a Abramsverse Klingons have piercings doesn't mean that every Klingon has piercings. Just like because 99% of Klingons we see are warriors, doesn't mean 99% of Klingons are warriors.

Some people just seem very uncomfortable with any variation from what they've come to expect.

Both with and without. It explained the tattoos as part of the Romulan grieving process.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The Romulans had the Tattoos for a mourning ritual, that's not necessarily the look of all Romulans.

TNG is the one who really, really changed Romulans by giving them those huge Forehead ridges. In TOS, Romulans looked just like Vulcans

3. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Grieving aye. So I guess all the Romulans on that ship were in a sad mood.

I remember a Klingon Doctor in Enterprise that looked like a "normal" post TOS Klingon.

But of course we have Chang in TUC... who knows what version/abortion he was. :)

4. BillJ

Don't forget those stupid fucking shoulder pads. :eek:

5. Yanks

Yup, never really understood that one. Especially since the only real difference between Romulans and Vulcans is their location.

6. BillJ

Since they had all lost their homeworld, why not?

7. Yanks

OK :bolian:

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I always rationalized it (not that you need to, but just for fun) as the Romulans genetically engineering a lot of their people to resist the effects of mind melding and psionic weapons like the Stone of Gol (TNG - Gambit) during or after their schism with the Vulcans. It had the side effect of rendering the Romulans with the ridges incapable of telepathy, while the now minority non-ridged Romulans can still do it with the proper training (and the closely related Remans can as well).

Up until their relationship with Vulcans was exposed in TOS, the non-ridged variety had a far greater presence in the Romulan fleet, and perhaps were even considered a more elite caste in their society due to their unaltered genetic makeup. The ridged variety could have been the soldiers under the helmets.

But any Romulans who interacted or could interact with Vulcans (like those in ENT) and later after their reveal almost the entire Romulan fleet was switched to the ridged variety because they couldn't be manipulated or read by their Vulcan enemies. The non-ridged Romulans fell out of favor with the new government due to their decadence and later took on more menial jobs, like the miners on Nero's ship (they had ridges, but more subtle ones).

9. Yanks

Wow! :) Sounds good to me.:bolian:

10. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So, some people are complaining about Abrams rehashing old stuff, and then argue that they should stick to "TOS stuff" instead of changing things up. I believe that that is called a double standard.

11. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Some people" are not me. So, no. :)

When I say i'd love to see something done with the Tholians, or the Gorn, or one of the other TOS aliens that didn't get much love until the tail end of Enterprise? That's not asking for a rehash. That's asking to explore alien species that didn't get that much exploration to begin with. The Borg got at least one appearance in every show from TNG onward, including being used a lot in Voyager, and getting a movie appearance.

That's also quite different from something I actually find annoying. Reusing the dialogue from TWOK verbatim. That is rehashing.

12. Yanks

Well, I believe what us "complainers" want is something fresh and new.

Knowing these writers, it's a more safe bet that they will rehash something, so if that's the case I'd prefer it was something classic from TOS.

13. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw a bit of Borg influence in the shipyard the Vengeance was in. They'll probably be in the third or fourth movie.

TWoK wasn't just about Khan and a sequel story, with him in a fresh but believable direction, is hardly a rehash.

The Borg feel more overused than the Klingons did then, especially since the Borg are supposed to not have individual differences (and are supposed to be really unbeatable).

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Seeing Kirk vs the Borg is kinda a cool idea and I'm sure we will see the borg again some day. Maybe in a TNG JJ verse.

I see the Klingons being the villains of the next movie. We haven't seen an all out war with them yet. It's worth exploring. We also got Doomsday machines, killer clouds and a spider-webs floating around too that need to be explored.

Using the Borg this early might be the milk sucking required for the 50th anniversary but it will blow this new Universe's wad if they do it this soon.

Edit: btw, i've had enough of big ships already so another reason why not to do them.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, I think a movie is something too big to be solely dedicated to 50th anniversary nostalgia. DS9 and Voyager could get away with dedicating a single episode among many, but your only movie every few years should stand on it's own rather than being a tie back to something already done.

If they want to push for a 2016 release for the next movie, that's celebration enough.

16. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The new movies established the speed of federation starships to be much greater than in the prime universe.
    As such, for the next movie the scenarists could credibly use ANY power/race encountered in the 24th century and even ones not encountered.

I suspect as well that the next movie will have klingons as enemies (this time, depicted as being able to act beyond primitive savagery + piercings on their foreheads).
    If this will not be the case, an unknown antagonist would be preferable. We had more than enough small universe syndrome in STiD.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

How much?

18. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

$200 Monopoly.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I voted yes, even though I've always said no because I want a change from rogue male villain. Give me a swarm of mindless assimilating cyborgs!!

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Give me something like the Marvel Ultimates version of Galactacus. Take all emotion, agenda, anything human out of them, just make them a mindless force of nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.