Should it have been a straight reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Ssosmcin, Sep 7, 2009.

1. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Because everything should be done that way.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And yet Quinto looks uncannily like Nimoy in so many scenes...

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quite.

Look, if they weren't having Nimoy in the movie, there would not be an old Spock. This is the whole point of that character and the reason there's a time travel plot, to reboot the franchise using time alteration.

That said, it worked. Is it fanservicey to include old Spock? Yes. Is it also fanservicey for every single character to state their full name in the movie (well, except Spock and Uhura) when introuced, get at least one cool hero moment, and treat the revelation of Uhura's first name like it's a big event? Hell yes.

Is all of this also pretty cool? Again, hell yes. While there are problems in the movie's plot, the basic idea of the reboot and especially the inclusion of Leonard Nimoy were both excellent calls.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When?

5. Yug

Yug Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So now we can only have an actor playing a young Spock that looks EXACTLY like Nimoy for you to accept him? Get over it.

6. Shazam!

Because I said that, didn't I.

7. Yug

Yes

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's useless trying to list them for you because you'll refuse to agree, but Quinto's casting was praised as "uncanny" by many observers - and I thought he did a great job carrying it off.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't really see a ton of resemblance between Nimoy and Quinto, but looks don't matter to me so much as performance, and Quinto nailed it in that regard. Same with all the other actors.

As for the reboot/no reboot thing, I don't mind that they didn't make this a straight reboot, but I think things would have been a lot simpler if they had. It kind of felt like they were trying to have their cake and eat it, too, with the way they went about it. But then, we wouldn't have gotten Nimoy as Spock, which would have been a shame.

10. Shazam!

When?

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I felt Quinto was already pretty miscast as a Vulcan, because he has a constant smirk on his face, even when he's totally serious. And his voice was way too soft for Spock.

12. Shazam!

I think there were worse casting decisions made (Uhura and Sulu for a start) but my original point regarding Spock was that Nimoy was there purely as fan-service and I used the example of not just using make-up on Quinto as evidence for that.

I guess that point was lost though when Yug decided to make up facts like me only wanting someone to play Spock if he looked exactly the same as Nimoy.

13. Yug

Nope, you made the implication...
    Beyond that, fan service in the way the term is being thrown around here is not a negative mark on the film in any way.... not even sure the term fits.

Let's understand this... the movie being made in the first place is fan service, everthing from TOS's 3rd season to The Motion Picture to the Next Generation series and beyond was fan service. We are fans, we want serviced... we wanted more Trek, they gave it to us. But what you speak of is not fan service, but instead paying homage to classic Trek, and it's welcomed by me and so many others. This could have been a reboot that simply ignored all the things about Trek we loved, and made it a mere shadow of what it was. It could have been a dark, violent, remake (like Battlestar Galactica) to appeal to the current popular trend in sci-fi, that would have been the worse kind of fan service. But even Battlestar paid homage to what came before in it's run... I loved what they did with Battlestar Galactica, but it would not have worked for Star Trek.

They gave us a Trek we could enjoy BECAUSE of the things that were familiar, along with the things that were new... Who could possibly take issue with a Star Trek film depicting popular characters saying a few of their familiar lines, it's STAR TREK!! It's what we loved about those characters and the show. It was done well, and as a fan, it felt good to hear it.

Just like: Hi Ho Silver!, I'll be back!, and Yippie Kai Yay Muther Fucker !!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Assumption is the mother of all f'ups. ;)

15. Yug

You're right. I meant to refer to your post on that first bit... sorry.

I can barely tell the two of you apart.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  16. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I said this in another thread but I'll say it again:

Us Trekkers are SO fuckin' picky that we can't even enjoy anything anymore. I swear that half the fandom is only still a fan so they can tear down any new Trek product that comes down the pike (no pun intended). And compare it to old Trek, and question all the phoney science, and shit on any new Trek based concept or story... and yes, I'm guilty too. But only because of late, Trek has been crap, and it's OUR fault. They gave us what we asked for, and it watered down our show, to the point that it was quickly becoming unwatchable. It's our fault... and it's why they rebooted, it's also why they added the Prime Spock alternate universe plot, so the ol' timers would have something to hold on to, and be reminded that "their" Trek was not gone, or erased from time, it's just existing somewhere else. That was a gift, and the fans have shit all over it.
    I say fuck it... just gives us new, well written, high concept and action induced Star Trek films and tv shows. And I (and perhaps me alone) will love it again.

17. Shazam!

When?
    Ah, right, it was aimed at Jarod.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Okay, everyone -- enough sniping. Discuss the topic without taking pokes at each other.

19. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

I'm pretty sure most of us could enjoy it if it was actually good and had some depth to it that we could appreciate as being somewhat creative.

I'd hazard a guess that pretty much every fandom has a vocal group within it that loves nothing more than to tear apart that which they love, or love to hate as the case may be.

Since I can only speak for myself here (or on anything really), I have to say that one of my biggest disappointments in anything new that's come out is that while it's hyped as being new and different, it still falls back on the same things many have listed as things that many have said they didn't like about the franchise.

No, the fans aren't responsible for the lack of creativity within the production and writing staff or the executive meddling that made so much suck about the shows. A lot of people criticized bad ideas and aspects of the shows, but usually all we'd ever see from official publications is how awesome everything is and how "we're all very pleased."

I'd say you have that backwards. They rebooted it because they thought they could make it cooler by changing pretty much everything about it and adding as much action as possible so they could make it more like a generic sci-fi action movie. They did not want to bother being burdened with anything that would require actual thought or creativity to add something to an existing and long-lived franchise, so they just recreated it in their own image. The reason they added "Prime Spock" to it was because fans were already freaking out about the movie potentially being a reboot, so they came up with a way to have their cake and eat it too. It wasn't a gift so much as a way to tell the people complaining about a reboot to shut up.

I saw nothing high concept about the new movie. It was basically just a generic sci-fi action popcorn muncher. To me it didn't come off any better than ID4 did back in the '90s, but back then I was one of the few people that thought that movie was corny and stupid, too.

20. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

You just don't appreciate Star Trek XI