Poll Should/Could Discovery have been set in the post-TNG timeline

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by shakham, Nov 1, 2017.

?

Should Discovery have been post-TNG?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2017.
  1. Yes, it would have worked well in the post-Picard era.

25.5%
  2. Yes, but it works in both eras.

13.7%
  3. No, but it works in both eras.

13.7%
  4. No, not a chance

47.1%
  1. shakham

shakham Lieutenant Red Shirt

Is there really anything significant in Discovery that couldn't have been ported over to a post TNG timeline? I'm debating within myself whether this show could have been better presented as a TNG future show.

I'm considering all the bending they did to TOS, they likely would have bent post-TNG a lot less.

- The spore drive would have fit fine as it was uncharted territory.
    - The Klingon war could have restarted, as they were tentative allies at best.
    - Mudd could have been portrayed as Mudd Jr (or Jr Jr). Also opens the door to a bunch of other characters.
    - The concept of Burnham, human raised as Vulcan, would have also been uncharted territory post-TNG.
    - Holographic communication wasn't being done in TNG, so would have been futuristic.
    - The enhanced Vulcan powers, could have been shows as an evolution in the Vulcan people (new exposed skillset through some sort of lost training or whatever).
    - Sarek could have been another character tied as Sarek's nephew or something.
    - The edgy characters could have easily been explained as humans wanting to go back to their roots. A lot can happen 50 years post TNG.

These are just thoughts off the top of my head. Please discuss.

Delaware123 likes this.
  2. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Based on what we have seen yes they could have. However we don't know what they have in store for us and where they are taking the story so it is really too early to say.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

There's already enough war post-TNG. I think it works alright now. Might have been alright as a lost-era Tzenkethi war story, but they wanted Klingons. I think this was the best era.

shapeshifter likes this.
  5. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Would this post have worked better in TNG forum.........who knows but it's pointless in either.

6. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

How about a “No, it doesn’t work in either era” option?

Indysolo likes this.
  7. Rich

Rich Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That bit about "Enhanced Vulcan powers" if you mean Burnham and Sarek being able to communicate over light years. Is not a new thing. Tucker and T'pol had the same connection the only difference is that there's was caused by having certain relations. Whilst Sarek has part of his soul with Burnham.

But alot of fans rejected Enterprise so I can see why people think it's a new thing when really its been around for over a decade.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  8. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't understand. To avoid bending TOS, you would do this with TNG:

- Klingon war restarted
    - "Uncharted" Human/Vulcan relations
    - "Lost" Vulcan training
    - Mudd descendant instead of Mudd
    - Sarek's nephew instead of Sarek
    - Humans going back to their "roots"...

...All of these would be "bending" the TNG era, and if they were done, would beg the question why not just set it around TOS? That pretty much only leaves the spore drive and holographic communications. Though the latter would beg the question why does this look worse than it did in DS9? What was the question again? Oh. No.

Jinn and Turtletrekker like this.
  9. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Obviously there is a reason it's set when it is. Just because you don't know that reason immediately doesn't mean it could just be arbitrarily pushed to some different era.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

DSC is supposed to be a new take on why the Klingons and the Federation hate each other during the Kirk and Spock era. That doesn't work post-TNG.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not really working for me in the TOS era, either. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  12. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

I'd not mind if we get a trek show that is post tng era, perhaps if somehow involving a completely different galaxy and completely new places some how. If STD is successful perhaps we could have a sister show,

not likely but I'd like that idea.

13. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Prior to the series actually starting, and based on the teasers we'd seen leading up to the premiere, I initially felt that the level of technology being shown seemed way more advanced than it should be for 10 years prior to TOS, and even a century after ENT, and certainly would have been more acceptable in a post-VOY era, like another century or more beyond. (This would also apply to the new look of the Klingons, which I still don't really like, but am getting used to.)

But now, I've gotten mostly comfortable with the "visual reboot." As a viewer in the early 21st century, I find that the advanced tech shown in DSC is much more acceptable as being 200 years in our future, than something akin to the level of technology shown in TOS.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think it could have worked as a 25th-Century. Sure, you'd have to get rid of TOS characters (rename them) and the Klingons would have to either be renamed as a new species--or established as an ancient breed of Klingon that are sick of this Khitomer Accords bullshit and are going to show the Federation how O.G. Klingons do things...

15. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

A million times yes (and I could honestly couldn't care less about 90's Trek cameos).

I view Trek in its own universe or reality whereas others (weirdly to me) consider it part of our current/actual reality at least that's what I gauge when people make the arguments about what would be futuristic to us right now.

I want to live through the characters and what seems futuristic to them is what is important. The characters on Enterprise believed a TOS era ship was futuristic and that's all that matters to me. I'd rather a show be more or less visually (and otherwise) faithful to the established universe. This feels more spiritually connected to DS9 than it does anything else and placing the show closer to that end of the spectrum would have made me happier.

I'm more than willing to see where they take us but the show runners already seems preoccupied by the notion of making all of their changes "make sense" and "canon" before the series is over and if their desire was to be in the PT then doing a show sometime after Voyager alleviates all of this hoop jumping as there is no future canon to adhere to after Voyager (save for the destruction of Romulus).

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would have worked better in a post-Voyager time period IMO. Only sticking point is Sarek and frankly you could just replace Spock or Tuvok or even Savik in his place. Even Lorca would make more sense because you would asume he was a veteran from the Dominion War and I think the idea of the Federation becoming more military like makes sense after such a war. Heck that might have even been a factor as to why the Klingons want to go to war with them again though in this concept it would make Starfleet into being the alt right/America. Would the show have the guts to tell the story form the POV of the bad guys only not go 100% into the metaphor were they are kind of the alt right but also not fully corrupt as well. I like it when shows can take a concept and twist and find a new angle to it.

Jason

18. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

From what I've read the TNG producers in the early stages planned to bring back Roger C Carmel back as Mudd, being discovered by the crew in a cryotube. After Carmel died the idea was dropped.

In a hypothetical post-NEMESIS show, maybe you could have revived that idea, simply recasting Mudd with Wilson.

19. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

I'm glad, I think a guy like Q was perfect for that show instead of someone like Mudd,

I think Mudd is perfect for this one, I hope we never or hear from a Q, and we get Mudd antagonizing from time to time.

20. marsh8472

marsh8472 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Post TNG definitely. Probably around the same time from Nero since Discovery and the Narada had the same type of technology it would have fit in perfectly. Then the writers would have been overwhelmed with branching stories and guest stars from DS9, TNG, and Voyager. The changing culture of the federation and klingons would have made more sense. I could probably go on for another 100 pages why it would have been better but i'll just leave it at that.