Ship sizes: ALL LIES! (big pics)

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by F. King Daniel, Feb 14, 2011.

1. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

newtype_alpha

Well it was supposed to be either 302 or 366 initially, but the design was eventually scaled up to 1,200 by the time the shuttle bay and bridge were incorporated. That seems to be the determining factor -- making everything fit.

I think it's a ridiculously big size -- but hey, that's the size they made it.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

JJ had star destroyer envy.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

All the spiteful nonsense repeated by a few resentful posters does nothing to undercut the success and popularity of Star Trek 2009 with most people who like Star Trek. :cool:

4. Captain Robert April

The movie did some major box office, but that doesn't necessarily translate to popularity with the fanbase, particularly since the bulk of the audience were of the "general audience" variety who don't know "come here" from "sic 'em" about Star Trek, don't care, and aren't likely to investigate the matter any further than seeing that one movie.

Take a look around, Dennis, your beloved JJTrek doesn't have near the enthusiastic support that it used to, and hasn't aged well in the eyes of those who used to be singing its praises.

Your time with the "in crowd" is drawing to a close, Dennis. Soon, you'll be back with those of us in the geek category, and we have very long memories. :evil:

5. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

Looks like some of you need to super absorbant tampons

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  6. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Briefly, that is, before scaling it back down to 725.

7. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Literally EVERYONE I KNOW who saw that movie went and watched TOS afterwards. I could probably name off the top of my head 45 people who became interested in Star Trek for the first time after seeing STXI; MOST of them are teenagers.

OTOH, I could think of 15 people who stopped watching Star Trek altogether after watching Voyager.:evil:

Since when did anything related to Star Trek ever enjoy widespread enthusiastic support? The most you can say is that people stopped calling you an ass for your constant tirades on "This is why I hate JJ Abrams" in almost every thread you have ever posted in.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They may have scaled the CG to that size for some of the scenes, but it's unfortunate that the details on the model don't fit at that size.

9. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

It's 1200 meters
    Sorry it's official,

Case closed

10. Captain Robert April

Of course, if you expect Jar Jar to be tied down to such petty details...

11. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

newtype_alpha

But 1,200 goes better with the shuttle-bay size and the bridge-window.

12. Captain Robert April

13. Admiral Buzzkill

As long as the movie does major box office, the so-called fanbase isn't important.

14. Captain Robert April

It does for the long term viability of the property.

Which Paramount may soon find out, rather painfully.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

^Cry us a river.

Anyway, the JJprise is to me around the 660 meter mark at least with scenes implying up to 1000+ meter mark. On little line from Scotty in the sequel could clear it up but until then if ever, I'm sticking to 725 as a compromise.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

No, it doesn't. The old fanbase has been shrinking, is shrinking and will continue to shrink in numbers and in commercial importance. The numbers are plain and easily researched - the so-called "fanbase" stopped renewing itself in the mid 1990s. Demand for and interest in Star Trek continued to fall (you can look it up, and in fact could have at any point during the years you've been trying to make these fallacious claims) until the studio closed it down and turned it over to J.J. Abrams for reinvention.

The familiar, stock business of "you wait, one of these days in ten or twenty years you'll see that what I don't like is a failure and the stuff I predicted to be a success will win" is the fall-back position of people online who have been proven wrong and don't actually have an argument based in evidence to support their wish-fulfillment fantasies. What you try unsuccessfully to do on these forums is called "moving the goal posts."

The haters predicted that the first one would fail. They were wrong. They'll be wrong this time, too. oldTrek is done, and the future of the Franchise belongs to the various directors and producers who will be brought on to produce ever-changing versions of Star Trek until and unless the studio finally gives up on it. All evidence points away from any restoration of the old status quo that a dwindling number of trufans insist was "better."

You have no worthwhile argument to offer in rebuttal - I know, I've watched your attempts here for three years. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Lots of people went to see the movie. Those same people seemed to like it. Just throwing this out there, but wouldn't that be considered the fanbase?

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yes, but a new fanbase made up of a lot of people who never gave the old franchise a chance or hesitated for years.

It brought a whole new audience in, made up only of a fraction of the existing "Trekkie" base from before.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

While I am dubious of your claim that only a fraction of "existing fanbase" saw the new movie, I have to ask "so what"? By the end of ENT, the "existing fanbase" wasn't watching to begin with and filmmakers shouldn't be beholden to an already needlessly fickle group. They will never win. For example, even if they did everything exactly like CRA would want it to be, there will still be a group of vocal "true fans" who will claim that the filmmakers "got it wrong" and "don't understand Star Trek."

Screw the old fanbase if they are going to do nothing but pout over a stupid movie based on a stupid TV show. First world problems, I tell ya.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup, if Star Trek is to be successful again it needs to ignore the "fans" and be it's own thing, which thankfully it's finally able to do.