Ship Interior Space

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Bry_Sinclair, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was actually pondering a sort of "main hallway" for a ship I'm working on. My ship has a lot of horizontal space, so I was even considering moving walkways or monorails on specific decks. Turbolifts seem like they'd cause a lot of traffic jams if you have hundreds of people all trying to get to their battle stations at the same time. Also, moving people around two or three at a time in a lot of turbolift cars seems energy-inefficient.

Of course, if energy isn't an issue, you can just have a decentralized network of site-to-site transporters. Neural sensors in your comm badge could determine what room you want to go to and instantaneously transport you there. You wouldn't even need hallways. You could move through the ship at the speed of thought. ;)

2. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Almael

Almael Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sorry, you need membership there. My stuff is restricted for a reason. This stuff is decade+ old so it's not graphically up to date. I DO NOT give permission to spread or repost these images.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    General corridor size. There are smaller and larger depending on use and placement. I have an image showing a forklift corridor specification somewhere... don't remember where it's been too long.
    [​IMG]
    placement example
    [​IMG]
    Room sizing
    [​IMG]
    example deck with cargo transfer "aisle", lift
    [​IMG]
    And yeah a tech/cargo deck has special wide corridors, different deck heights and different bulkhead sizes which serves to increase ship integrity. Therefore, these decks are placed at strategic structural altitudes.
    My Akira has two.

5. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I understand but i am wondering why you posted a link to something you did not wish to share...

Most of the time studio sets are designed to be easy to light and film- it is rare you see an interior that actually looks like it is inside of a spacecraft. While the movie was not so good, 'wing Commander' really makes you feel you are inside a machine- low ceilings with hardware.

Star Trek always had a stylized look about it. In TOs the corridors were wide and spacious, out of necessity because it took a lot of room to move a film crew shooting a conversation as people walked around.

we got a brief glimpse of the interior structure during the build montage, i am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

6. Almael

Almael Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's not that I don't want to share otherwise why would I post.
    It's I want to limit access such that people have to put effort in looking for it. These days a lot of people are just too lazy to research and just post questions away and expect others to do their homework. I never minded giving answers but I expect them to have covered at least the basics. Simply put: If you are interested in something then at least know something by doing some research. You can't expect everyone to wasted their time explaining everything in detail. That's what wikipedia is for more or less. And I did/do write articles there for a reason...

I'm leaning to designing real world and practical things. So internal style is limited to whether they can be fitted or afforded. There may be trade offs due to volume/size limitation. Since all the plans started based on a age old 3D model and not a ship design of my own. That's the limitation.
    That said otherwise many of my original designs are wild and aesthetic in accordance of possibility afforded by certain technology level...