"She'll launch on time, sir - and she'll be ready."

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by gottacook, Dec 3, 2014.

1. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fair points! :techman:

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Not to mention that they had three months on Vulcan to swap stories about the events of the previous film.

3. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The only thing I can think of that makes sense is the Vulcan IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations), which might be interpreted as Spock saying something like that.

--Sran

4. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Actually, I think James Blish was the first to give Spock a saying that he supposedly was known for, but was never actually spoken by Leonard Nimoy in the role: "A difference which makes no difference is no difference." It's been a long time since I looked at my 44-year-old (!) first edition of Spock Must Die!, but I'm pretty sure Spock says this more than once in that novel.

(Speaking of which: I can't imagine Blish would want to call his one-and-only original Trek novel by such a title, which isn't even accurate for the story. I mean, at most one Spock or the other supposedly would have to die - assuming a Thomas Riker-type solution to the dilemma couldn't have been found, with the variation that the duplicate would have to synthesize dextro- instead of levo- nutrients for himself. Has anyone ever heard what Blish might have titled his manuscript? Would his widow know?)

5. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

? My first edition copy of Spock Must Die! is only 40 years old. How did that happen?

6. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

All I know is that I bought mine in 1970, and it has a 1970 copyright date. Its cover has the mirror-reflected publicity photo of Spock holding an Erlenmeyer flask.

7. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mine must have sat on a shelf somewhere before it was brought to the book fair I bought it at. I got mine in '74.