She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, May 19, 2018.

1. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I sure hope so, Noelle mentioned they already had several seasons worth of stuff planned out, so it would be nice if the delay of the renewal announcement is because they can't decide for just how many more seasons they wanna renew it immediately. ;)

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Adora is Adam's twin sister, then her mother is a human astronaut from Earth.

Joan Crichton?

Anwar, USS Triumphant and Shaka Zulu like this.
  3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Adam's mother was from Earth but she ended up on Eternia, she gave birth to him and Adora.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We don't know how this continuity will differ from the 80s.

They may not be siblings.

They may be boyfriend and girlfriend.

Besides, if they are not in their real bodies, then biologically they are not related any more (as long as they stay in their magic bodies). Although, Wizards are lazy. I can see those magic bodies being built from the same source of resources, so they may not be siblings, but they might be the same person, on a genetic level. Who the hell would want to have sex with themself?

A month ago, I watched on Youtube the episode where Adam's Mum admits to being an earthling.

Awful.

Love the toys.

Love the movie.

The original cartoon is drenn.

5. dahj

Well she was first, so he would be King Marley. :p

6. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

You're correct about that.....

....but I'm not sure it's all middle aged Gen-X'ers though; some of them might be millenials. And you're right about these people being annoying.

No duh on that, I agree with you. Yet these people act like this with She-Ra, Star Trek and Star Wars, as well as with anything else from the past.

To be fair to them, what they want is for the younger generations to create their own things and not revive older properties to fit the 2010's (only problem is that when they do create their own things, they end up creating dross like this, which is misandrist and badly thought out, and if created by a male with the character being a female, would have a big shitstorm heaped upon it by women.) But yeah, these people are annoying, and they're acting in the same way older people did about their entertainment and culture when they were younger.

EDIT: what you (Lensman) said about millenials not being the target for Star Trek anymore sides with what I said about CBS and Paramount needing to cease making merchandise of The Original Series all of the time and to start making merchandise based on the new movies and Discovery.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  7. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Plenty of them are millenials, a generation who's oldest members were born in the early 80's, making them just a few years away from middle age proper. When I think of people bitching about kid's cartoons from the 80's, they're the ones I'm thinking of. I'm not using "middle age" as an exact descriptor, more along the lines of a reminder that they're one step away, and as an insult. :devil:

Well......tough shit.

Updating stories has been going on for as long as humans have been telling them. In regards to Hollywood, these are vehicles for making money. That's the top priority. Most properties are profitable until they stop resonating with audiences. When this happens, the people that own these properties retool them to resonate with modern audiences so that they can continue to generate revenue, the studio can thrive and the creators keep their jobs.

What they're not doing is making these for one generation. And for these aging fans, reality is starting to set in for them, especially for Millenials: They're not the young ones any more. They're not the desired demographic any more. And unlike generations in the past, who handed over their toys when they aged out, modern generations are futilely clutching these toys to their chests and screaming and clawing at the kids to get away. But the toys they clutch to their chest are slipping away like sand to the kids anyway, because those toys were never their's.

They belonged to someone else, and they always did.

Once upon a time I was less harsh with these kinds of people, but it seems like you can't turn around nowadays without having to listen to someone crying that the world had the audacity to move on from them.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. Shaka Zulu

I see, and I agree.

Exactly that. And yet, these people can't see that fact, so they engage in all of this bullshit about 'my childhood's been destroyed' and 'make something original' as if none of them have ever heard of the old saying 'there is nothing new under the sun' before (something I've said as a response to these people online elsewhere.) But they never get it or understand it.

This is what Bill Maher (however wrongheaded people felt it was for him to say what he said) was getting at when he criticized the coverage of the death of Stan Lee, and why he himself hates 'geek culture' and all of the movies/TV shows/whatever else there is that's a part of it, and why he hates comics and comic books; he feels people should grow up and move on from those, and he linked the coverage of the death of Stan Lee and reverence for comic books as the reason the USA elected a man like Trump as POTUS, wrongheaded as it is to a lot of people for him to say this (and I myself don't agree.)

Exactly. It's time that more people do what you did and be harsh with them each and every time they say this, especially as it relates to the 2016 version of Ghostbusters, and this new She-Ra show.

9. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Bill Maher slammed comic book fans in the wake of Stan Lee's death solely so he had an excuse to insult Darth Trump and his supporters (as if he needed one). Hell will freeze over before I take anything he has to say seriously.

I don't read comic books anymore but I still love superheroes, science fiction, fantasy, horror and even shows and movies that are targeted at a younger audience. I still do all the things an adult is supposed to do and I don't need people like Bill Maher telling me to move on or be lumped in with Trump like it's some kind of threat.

If people want to hold onto their youthful, fun side there's nothing wrong with that. It's only when they take it to the levels of what happened to Leslie Jones that it's gone too far. The worst I've heard about the new She-Ra is that the art style sucks and some of the characters are annoying.

I loved the Ghostbusters reboot FYI.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's so bad about Steven Universe? Pretty much everything I've heard about it has been really positive, and I really enjoyed the two or three episodes I watched a while back.

USS Triumphant likes this.
  11. Shaka Zulu

What's wrong with it? Plenty, as these videos will show you.

12. dahj

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

1) Who are these people and why should I take their opinion over people from places like EW, Io9, or what I saw in the couple episodes I watched?
    2) Can you summarize the videos for me, I don't have 4 hours to spend watching them? OK, I'll confess I probably do, but I really don't feel like sitting through them.
    3) Is this more than just people being butthurt over it having women heroes and gay characters?

14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Nothing is wrong with Steven Universe (at least nothing major, like every series it has some flaws), it's a great show with a great message. Your claim that the show is misandrist is beyond ridiculous, why would you even say that?

The show is actually well thought out plot wise, revelations in season 5 have been hinted at since season 1 (and become obvious in hindsight), it has very well written characters with strong personalities, great character arcs (not must for the main cast) and conflicts. It sends a great message about love, tolerance and acceptance. It shows heroes as flawed people who did make mistakes and did bad things for the greater good while some villains are shown in a more sympathetic light when their motives are revealed.

Manticore likes this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is closer to most of the other stuff I've heard about Steven Universe.

16. Shaka Zulu

1) These people are commenters who've given thoughtful and intelligent critiques of the show and the flaws in it, and why this show isn't what it's cracked up to be; they're not 'butthurt' anybody or anything, they're acting like professional TV critics would, albeit a bit more throughly.

2)If you can sped free time watching a TV show/movie, you can watch these critiques, which aren't really very long.

3) Again, these commentators aren't butthurt, nor are they against women characters or GLBT ones, they're just dellivering precise and through critiques on this show.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So they're just a couple of random people with too much free time on they're hands.

They're two fucking hours long, and I really, really, don't don't want to have to sit and listen to two people I've never heard of ramble on for that long. I just want a quick explanation of why it's so horrible.
    OK, but that still doesn't change what I just said in the above paragraph.

Kemaiku likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Shaka Zulu Just as a quick FYI, when it comes to videos that aren't movies or shows, if it's longer than 5 minutes I rarely ever bother watching, unless it's something I'm really, really interested in.

19. Shaka Zulu

No, it's not been, and the two videos in question go into great detail as to why.
    Not by my reckoning, they have, more like lazy scriptwriting, badly planned world building, and crappy characterization, in addition to the incompetent animation.

The characters are annoying and unlikable (the title character in particular)-a no-no in creating a TV series or any other work of fiction that has heroes in it, with the only likable one being the girlfriend of the main character due to her willingness to work harder to better herself.

The main cast has been neglected in favor of background characters that are supposed to be just that, while the showrunner procastinates on telling the stories of the main characters 'just because', as well as constantly having the show be on hiatus.

As I mentioned before, the conflicts are badly plotted and written, and Sugar and her crew having no way to tell them properly.

By having the Crystal Gems be careless about public property, treat people of Earth badly (with the exception of Connie) and having the main character and his father be partially barefoot, uneducated (Steven doesn't even go to school) morbidly obese (both of them, but Steven in particular) and unemployed (Greg) as well as careless with money (Greg again) and last but not least, tolerant towards fascism (wanting people to be forgiving of the way the Gem people-from Gemworld, not the three Crystal Gems-are towards anybody not like them)? If this is what you're implying above that this show teaches, I hate to see what the opposite is.

Having the heroes be flawed would be one thing; the main characters are just unpleasant and unlikable, as well as trapped in their flaws and not willing to progress in a better way, as Lily Orchard showed in her video. Also, trying to garner sympathy for fascism is beyond the pale, and then some. As well, what the show's supposedly doing for LGBT people is just confirming stereotypes that get the right wing to do the bad things they usually do to LGBT people.

Your choice, JD, but what I said, and what Lily Orchard/Elijah The Orouman has said, I'll still agree with, and if you think that I'm going to change how I feel about this show, you and Takeru are both dead wrong. This show's a piece of shit compared to the ones I've mentioned before that I like, and it's a POS compared to the new She-Ra show.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is any of what he just posted actually true?