Share your real life encounters with the unexplainable/creepy stories?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JD, Oct 31, 2017.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So have an of you guys ever had an encounter with something creepy or unexplainable?
    The auditorium of the high school I went to was haunted and I had one definitely strange incident and one I admit could have been my eyes playing tricks on me. The first time, my theater class was on the stage performing monologues and while someone was on stage we heard a drum beat coming from the band pit. We went down and looked, and there was no one down there, and no speakers or anything else to explain the drum beat. The only way to get down there was down two staircases on either side, and no one had gone up or down besides us the entire time we were there.
    My second encounter was a few months later and I was on the stage either in class or a play rehearsal, and I looked up into the control booth and swore I saw someone run between a couple of boxes in the window. I admit this could have been my eyes playing tricks on me, but it did creep me out at the time.

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

So they could both have been just your brain filling in the gaps of what was actually there then?

I used to see a red apparition at the end of my bed in our old house, which could have been my Grandfather (he died in a red jumper) but it could have just been wishful thinking on my behalf.

3. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We had a cat, Max who had disappeared and had been gone a couple of days. We didn't know what had happened to him at this point. We also had another cat, Ryker. (yes, that was his name. My brother-in-law named him.) Anyway, after Max had been missing for a couple of days, I woke up in the middle of the night and felt a cat next to me. I figured it was Ryker. Then, at the same time, I heard another cat scratching his scratching post across the room. I thought Max had returned while I slept and my wife had let him in. I found out in the morning that my wife was lying next to me, thinking I had let Max in. Of course, he had never come back.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The second one could have been, but I'm not so sure about the first one.

5. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When in college, I managed to convince my magic-believing friends, the type who believe in "supernatural everywhere" that I was a powerful magic-absorbing entity, because NOTHING spoopy ever happened in my presence, even in allegedly "haunted" and "spiritually significant" locations where stuff was "always" allegedly happening.

I did see a UFO once, though. Well, it was something in the sky and I couldn't tell what it was, so literal UFO.

USS Triumphant and Tesophius like this.
  6. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

My dad was in poor health and he had to lean on to the furniture to move across the room since he was unsteady on his pins. He also became a little incontinent and as a result he moved into a bed across the hall from the bedroom he shared with my mother. He finally did fall and break a hip. He died in the hospital after a few days. I stayed with my mother until the funeral. Yes, I stayed in that bed across the hall. I'm a light sleeper and woke up during the night to feel depressions moving along the bed behind my back from my knee to my shoulder. Too big of a wuss to turn around and look, I just laid there feeling creeped out, so I'll never know...

7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a few:

1 When I was a kid in my room I screamed because I thought I saw something looking at me thorugh my window.

2 When I was still a kid and I was staying with my dad I was sleeping in a sleeping bag and I was in that state were your in between sleeping and being awake and I swear I saw a demon like creature around me.

3 I had a rape dream where I went to Hell. At first I flying around and nothing was touching me and I felt like it was okay but then I was raped by the Winchester brothers from "Supernatural" and whats worst is I didn't wake up and could feel perssure in my butt area.

Jason

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I still to this day remember something very strange that happened to me when I was somewhere around age 4.

Me and my younger sister shared a bedroom. I had my bed on the left side, hers on the right. Hers was up against a wall with no window. Mine had a window at the mid point, near the foot of my bed. Apparently for that reason, my bed was considered the more desirable one by my sister. Sometimes she'd put up a fuss about wanting to switch beds. I didn't think it was right -- you had your bed, you stuck with it. But this one night in particular, she was near hysterics. So my mother decreed a temporary swap, for one night. I didn't want to sleep in my sister's bed. But, I acquiesced and did so. I crawled in and went to sleep.

At some point in the night... might have been a couple of hours after falling asleep, I awoke. I had the sheet over my head, which was my thing to do. I loved the "cocoon" feeling of it. Well, I'm under the covers with my eyes open, and I get this very very strange feeling. A tingling sensation at the back of my neck. I have this incredible feeling like I'm being watched. I peek out from under the sheet over at my bed where my sister is sleeping, to see if she was up and looking at me. Nothing. But that feeling wasn't going away. And then I was drawn to look into the corner of the room, where the head of this bed was situated. I look...

Staring at me is a stuffed teddy bear. Clear as day. It was no bear my sister and I had. It was a stranger-bear! I leaped out of bed so fast, and went running. But I had socks on my feet and I slipped on the smooth linoleum floor, crashing into an art easel at the back end of the room. I didn't look in the corner, but just got up quickly and tore out of there. I went into my parent's bedroom and shook my dad. "Dad, there's a bear in my room! There's a bear!" "What?" "Dad, I saw it, I saw it, in the corner, a bear!" Groggy, he got to his feet and walked me back to the room. I wouldn't go in. He went in first and took a look. Then he looked back at me. "There's nothing there." So I peeked in. Sure enough, nothing was there. An empty corner. He wouldn't turn on the light, for fear of waking up my sister. But he went over to where I pointed and checked the corner in the crevice between the wall and the bed. Nothing. Not even a different stuffed animal that I'd made a mistake about. So he told me to go back to bed. I couldn't. I was so freaked out. He let me snuggle up with him in his bed. I was relieved. But a little while after I fell asleep, he lifted me up and out of bed, to bring me back to mine. I was groggy and mindlessly followed along. When he settled me in to the bed, I still had the memory of the teddy bear and said I didn't want to stay there. But he assured me everything would be fine. I put the sheet over my head and it took about a half hour for me to fall asleep. I kept waiting for the tingling sensation to return. Occasionally I'd peak out and check to see if the bear returned. It didn't. I eventually fell asleep.

I never ever had any other kind of imaging like this. Nothing else like this that happened to me. Was my discomfort with not sleeping in my bed so strong that it cause me to hallucinate? It wasn't a teddy bear that I'd ever remembered seeing before. If I was unhappy, why wouldn't it have been something like a monster, if I was going to hallucinate it? The bear wasn't mean looking, no teeth/fangs or claws. It looked like a normal kind of teddy bear, even with a little red tongue sticking out.

Years later, the only thing I could think of is that either I did hallucinate somehow, maybe a momentary cross over of a dream into reality, or... some child ghost was sensing my distress and wanted to give me a teddy bear to assuage my fears... not expecting that it would actually cause greater fear in me. ;)

I could never explain it. And nothing like that ever happened again. I think we had one or two more "bed swaps" after that, but the teddy bear didn't return. All was normal. Isn't that weird?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  9. Jayson1

I wonder if that happened in the same reason I saw that demon when I was in bed. I think when people go to sleep you have a time were reality and the dreamscape kind of mix together. Plus have you ever seen something out of the corner of your eye even if something is there?

Jason

Gary7 likes this.
  10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

A relative of mine told me about her cat when she was a teenager. The cat came into the room where she was sitting, rubbed her, nuzzled her, did all sorts of affectionate cat stuff, then (atypically) jumped up and walked out of the room for no reason. A little while later she got up and went looking to see what its problem was. Instead she found the cat's body. Dead and cold for hours, since long before it had come to see her. She thinks it came back briefly to say goodbye.

11. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

@Jayson1 -- I wish I could remember it all more clearly, but I have the feeling that after I scrambled out of bed, I had caught a glimpse of the bear out of the corner of my eye. But I can't be certain.

I think you're right that it must've been a momentary cross-over of the dream state into consciousness. However, it wasn't like I had this actual dream of that teddy bear and suddenly see it in my waking state. It was completely unfamiliar to me. In fact, I don't even recall what I was dreaming at the time, if indeed I was in REM sleep.

The most sensible explanation is that it was some freak momentary hallucination. The mind can play tricks on you. After all, people can be hypnotized to actually see something that isn't there. And that proves the biological constructs are there to make it happen. You just need the right trigger.

12. Jayson1

I wanted to add something else and wonder if everyone else has noticed this. Have you ever closed your eyes while just sitting and notice if you keep them closed long enough the blackness you see is mixed in strange incoherent images that keep flashing in your mind? It can be anything from a train with legs to a flying apple. Strange images that seem to have no pattern or reason to be coming from your mind? It's also interesting how daydreams can transform from normal to strange, very fast.

Jason

13. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

This may not be quite what you're looking for, since it doesn't involve any ghosts as far as I know.

When I was 14 and in Missouri, my mom had a friend named Derenda, and I made her two mix tapes for her car, which I labelled "Derenda's Tape 1" and "Derenda's Tape 2". I never got a chance to give them to her, as my parents split in a rather quick and hostile fashion right within a couple of days of me finishing them. So they ended up coming with me and my mom to South Carolina, and I listened to them a few times, and then they ended up in my cassette box.

Fast-forward to when my wife and I are moving into our first house together. I helped her bring some boxes from her mom's house, and as we're unloading them, I come across "Derenda's Tape 2". I ask her where it came from, and she looks up at it but is going through another box and misses the look on my face, and says that she used to be friends with a girl that we both knew from school named Derenda, and that she had brought it over to play when they used to swim together in junior high and had left it. I said that wasn't possible, because that was my handwriting and my tape, and told her whom I had made it for and why. She didn't believe me, so I went to get Tape 1 out of my box, and she came with me. I did. Along with Tape 2 - exactly the same as the one she had down to the nuances of my handwriting, but with half of the label on one side ripped off.

Bear in mind that these tapes contained, in part, songs that were not released yet when my wife was in junior high.

This was only one of a large number of unusual but more mundane things going on at the time, like the Sheriff's Department investigating the murder of a friend of mine, our marriage generally (I was 17, she was 16), and other misc oddness. There were also some other really strange occurrences that I had dealt with with less proof, like a laundromat that had disappeared with no trace but the sign, which no one in the area could explain why it was there, but two friends and I remembered it. A visit from someone who claimed to be me from the future wanting me to know that I would be alright (complete with a futuristic Corvette wagon that I described and a friend drew, which caused him to become alarmed and get back in touch with me *this year* due to its great similarity to a current model), a couple of years before. And a slew of little ways things seemed to change all the time - historical capitals in encyclopedias, the people holding minor cabinet positions, a friend's sister's name, little details like that.

So we didn't know what to do with this, anymore than we knew what to do with a lot of that. We showed the two tapes to a few friends, and that was pretty much it. They all went back into my tape box - including her Tape 2. I had a CD player in the car at time time, so I wasn't really playing cassettes all that often.

A couple of years later, we had lost that car due to all the financial whirlwind related to my mom going to prison for my friend's murder. So we had another one, and it had a tape deck, so I pulled out my tapes. Tape 1 was there. HER Tape 2 with intact label was there. The other Tape 2 was missing - no explanation. We started playing them in the car in rotation with the other tapes.

One day in the summer, it was hot, and Tape 2 was in the deck. It jammed. I jabbed the eject button repeatedly until it came part way out, then pulled it out by hand. It ripped half of the label off of one side. It then looked exactly like the OTHER Tape 2 had.

We moved not long after, and I haven't seen ANY Derenda's Tape since then, period.

What's that all about? Or the other little changes, which have always happened? There's a strong hint of somebody or something screwing with my timeline, but honestly, I have no frikkin' clue. I DO know that *I* do not have a time travelling Corvette, or any Corvette, nor do I want one (unless it DID time travel, because I'd take a time travelling bicycle, much less a Corvette. Who wouldn't? ;) ).

14. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't doubt it. Animals are pretty neat creatures. They can develop really close bonds with their humans.

I had a couple happen to me.

1) I was at an old school building that was converted into a mall once and I felt this very cold breeze go past me like a person walking past, I looked up and saw a picture of one of the principals who worked at the place back when it was still a school and I had the feeling that he was still around walking and keeping an eye on the building. It was very creepy.

2) This one has a bit of a story to it. I remember talking to my grandma once over the phone (I had a bad cold at the time so I couldn't go over to visit :() and telling her that I wish that I could come through the phone to see her. She laughed and we talked a bit more.

A bit of time passed and we heard that she had passed away. I had a dream soon afterwards where I was at her house, watching Jeopardy (she was no fan of the show, but she let me watch it) and she asked me if I was ok and if I needed a hug. I went over and hugged her and felt her presence for one last time. She was helping me to transition/get used to her new form. Jeopardy was just her way of letting me know it was her. :)

15. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

@USS Triumphant no wonder you use a timer travelling Frasier Crane for your avatar.

Gary7 likes this.
  16. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I have to say, your story probably freaks me out more than any of the ghost-related ones in this thread.

It does kind of beg the question, though... changes like changing state capitals or minor cabinet members... how do you know you didn't just misremember those facts? And if you are absolutely 100% sure that changes have indeed occurred, how is it that you specifically are the Guinan or
    Stamets
    of our timeline? (Unless of course you have spent time in the Nexus, or
    recently used yourself as the navigational component of a spore drive
    , but those are things you might have mentioned in your post if they had occurred.)

But the main thing I want to comment on is this: if you, or any future version of you, does indeed have access to time-travel technology (Corvette-based or otherwise), then I look forward within the next few moments to basking in the warmth of my fond memories from last November of Hillary Clinton's historic presidential victory.

Please get on that.

Gryffindorian likes this.
  17. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't KNOW that, and that's part of what makes it so infuriating at times. But, in all humility, I have a mind like a steel trap, and near perfect recall (I can, for instance, "read back" a series of 25 entirely different phone numbers that are called out to me) - which I believe I developed at least partially in defense against the changes. (Someone starts lying to you, you start paying attention to the details for consistency. REALITY begins lying to you, that's also true, only much moreso? Maybe.)

I might be willing to dismiss it as having a shoddy brain or mental illness or something - if you've ever seen the 'check engine' light on on a car when there was nothing wrong (or nothing anymore because it has been fixed), that's all you need to know that sensors and alarms can be faulty, and I know my brain is just a wetware machine, so it can be just as flawed as any other computer, AND, make ME want to believe it isn't. I'd be willing to, if it wasn't for the times when other people have somehow been drawn into awareness of the changes with me. Like the Derenda's Tape situation, where there were multiple witnesses to both tapes being there at the same time. Two of my friends remembered the laundromat, and no, they weren't just screwing with me - there was never a punchline or continued hazing about it, and there would be with them. Instead, they've remained just as puzzled about it as I am. One of them went so far as to contact the local city-county complex to try to find records about it.

Another one came to mind while I was typing this: the movie, "Dennis The Menace". IMDB lists it as having come out in 1993. My wife and I both remember seeing it while we were dating (we got married in 1992) - it had Matthau as Mr. Wilson, just like they say, but a complete different actor for Dennis, and a completely different plot.
    You mean President Sanders' victory, and yes, I would get right on that. However, I guess we have to bear in mind historical perspective. For all we know, in 20 years the Trump presidency will be regarded as a painful but necessary period of lessons learned, so that the electorate would be ready to elect not just one, but TWO intelligent and (mostly? still politicians, after all :D ) ethical women to the White House, ushering in a golden age. (Warren/Gabbard 2020. ;) )

Avro Arrow likes this.
  18. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I saw a demon once.

19. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My earliest memories are of me being in be and seeing some sort of creature looking down at me. I would have been 2 - 3 years old at the time. I'm 35 and still vividly remember what the creature looked like. It was horns, yellow, scaly skin that had a weird glow to it. It had dark holes where it's eyes should be and a lipless mouth with sharp teeth. It wore a some type of silken outfit with a red cape. Despite it's appearance I don't remember being scared of it. In addition to seeing it near my bed, i remember also seeing in standing on the third step of the staircase. I've talked to my mum about it a few times and she said I would often talk about the 'man on the stairs'. We had a dog at the time who would randomly bark at the stairs. My dad once told me that one day while he was was on a ladder doing some work on the wall next to the staircase, he felt the ladder get pushed away from the wall and he fell and broke his wrist.

We left that house in 1986 when we moved from england to australia, but yeah my mum said that the house had a weird vibe to it.

20. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral