sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

If that's what the article means, yea, that doesn't sounds very promising at first sight. I took it to mean instead that when they run into other folks at outposts or whatever they claim to part of a real armada, rather than actually sneaking into formation with the armada.

2. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Does anybody have a definition of intellectual property? Would it's theft just be constituted by using an idea's specific expression, and not the idea itself? Plots and premises can't be stolen? as there are no new plots or premises? that seems awefully short sighted to me. Harlan had a good case against 'In time' but not 'Terminator' it seems to me. Was 'All Good Things' a homage or a rip off of Vonnegut's 'Slaughter House Five'? Beethoven used the same melody for one of his most popular overtures as a Mozart violin concerto. Obviously everyone's expression is going to be different. The same ideas can be done from different angles and perspectives and directions/approaches just as some trek ideas were done over and over again from head to tail as it were but where does derivitive rights end and stealing begin?

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno. The pedigree of the HBO series is pretty promising and the idea of sci-fi show set in continential Europe (even an American one) is appealing.

Clandestine has a nice enough premise, but I've never heard of the guy involved (unlike RHW's Defender) so it's more of an unknown quantity at this point. I think a space opera series with a sense of fun would be nice, but it needs to be fun and good.

4. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not the plots, but the similarity in details. Yes, you can write a movie about stolen time as a currency, but if too many of your ideas in the script coincide with someone elses story, it will get a closer look. Yes, some things may seem obvious in a certain type of story, but it will not be looked upon favorably if someone got there first.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Incorrect.:rommie:

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

RHWs space opera is the top of my list, too, but I like the idea of a swashbuckling space opera and Starz gritty space war approach, I'm assuming that they will go for the nasty ass Spartacus style. Wouldn't it be great to have a range of space opera types to choose from?

For the HBO series, thing I'm not too keen about on, is that it sounds like its following the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trend, just adding a sci fi element. I'm not really interested in the whole dark detective story thing but obviously it's impossible to tell from a brief description how the series would turn out. I'm pleased to see HBO is not allergic to sci fi as a genre.

7. Sindatur

Choose, hell. If they're all worth watching, I'm watching them all :devil:

Yea, I'll try whatever Space Opera I have access to, and only dump what doesn't suit my fancy

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Both of them sound good to me. I've seen Stashwick in some good roles as an actor, but I have no idea what to make of him as someone behind the camera.
    I like the idea of a sci-fi show set in Europe. It seems like most of that kind of stuff I've coma cross is set either in the US or Asia, or a Blade Runner/Firefly style amalgamation of the two.

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

NBC Developing Super Villain Drama

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Hm. Potentially interesting--but for a series?

11. Temis the Vorta

A hapless ordinary guy who gets involved in various evil schemes just to make a living could be fun. Since its broadcast, no doubt it will be light and funny rather than dark and angsty.

If they wanted to be a bit clever, they could turn it into a metaphor for everyone's working life, but I guess I shouldn't ask too much. ;)

Since Zachary Levi is currently without a show, they should look at him for the lead.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

They say it's a drama, but it does sound like a comedy. Nevertheless, it's an interesting concept. I'd be likely to give it a try.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. At least somebody is trying something a little bit different.

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Zack Levi is playing Fandral in Thor: The Dark World, he might be looking do to more in the theater than on television.

15. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This concept reminds me of the character Dylan Battles from the pre-reboot DCU.

16. Temis the Vorta

He was also cast in the lead of a sitcom that didnt get picked up for this season, so he hasnt dropped out of the TV biz.

17. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Hench sounds like fun.

18. Sindatur

I enjoyed him on The Talking Dead, and hope he does it again this year. He didn't look anything like Chuck, LOL.

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...uckleberry-finn-show-pilot-development-363795

Finn and Sawyer

Gothica

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, this could be a direct prequel to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?