Contest: ENTER SF&F Avatar Contest: Non-English Movies & Television: SF&F Edition

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Avro Arrow, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Sorry. Moderator

So apparently the South Korean show Squid Game has taken the world by storm. I don't have Netflix, so I can't check out what all the fuss is about, but I hear it's big. And apparently with that success, questions have been raised about some questionable translation choices, which changed some of the meaning or tone when translated into English--which in turn led to broader questions around the translations of shows from one language to another.

So since the language of this board is predominately English, let's take this time to celebrate the science fiction & fantasy movies and television produced in languages other than English! Your entry can be from any SF&F movie or television show where the original language is predominately non-English. If there are minor occasional uses of English in the movie/show, that is OK, as long as most of the spoken language is non-English. Additionally, if an English dub was later produced for English-speaking markets, the movie/show is still acceptable, as long as its original language was non-English, and it was officially released using that original language. (Please note that English-lanaguage movies or shows produced in non-English speaking countries would not be allowed.)

Standard avatar contest rules apply: maximum size of 200 x 200 pixels, and 1 MB. All entries must be SFW. Each person may enter up to three avatars. Please identify the show/movie, as well as the main language spoken therein.

Contest will be open for about a week; I am planning to put the poll up on Sunday the 28th. And if you would also like to enter some non-SF&F non-English avatars, there's a contest for that, too!

Have fun! :techman:

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Gojira (Japanese)

[​IMG]
    Astérix chez les Bretons (French)

[​IMG]
    Santo y Blue Demon contra Dracula y el Hombre Lobo (Mexican)

3. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are silent movies allowed?

Metropolis (1927 -- Germany):
    [​IMG]

4. Avro Arrow

It appears that the title cards of the original release were all in German, so I'd say it qualifies!

Orac likes this.
  5. Orac

Enthiran (2010 -- Tamil):
    [​IMG]

Avro Arrow and Kai "the spy" like this.
  6. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Raumpatrouille, Germany. Very Sixties, very trashy/ low budget. (Guess how they created that water whirling "effect"!) Developed independently from Star Trek. Had a Russian, too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021 at 10:37 PM
    Orac, Kai "the spy" and Avro Arrow like this.
  7. Avro Arrow

Thank you for your entries, @ThreeEdgedSword ! Just a small note that the second image is a little too large, and will need to be scaled down to 200 x 200. The other two are perfect!

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  8. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thx, will change as soon as my computer lets me. No idea how it happened in the first place.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Diableros - Mexican (Spanish language) Netflix series
    [​IMG]

La Revolution - French (French language) Netflix series
    [​IMG]

Tribes of Eurpoa - German (German & English language, this one might be borderline, because there is quite a bit of English, but the majority of the dialogue is in German) Netflix series
    [​IMG]
    If you like foreign SFF, I highly recommend all three series

Orac, Avro Arrow and Kai "the spy" like this.
  10. Orac

Tale of the Nine Tailed (2020 - Korean):
    [​IMG]

Avro Arrow and Kai "the spy" like this.