Seth Macfarlane Should Helm the Next Trek Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Victory Is Life, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell judging by some of the stuff he used in his trek movies he's probably more knowledgeable about it than any of us.

Plus there is the Oscar nomination.

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

TMP had three nominations. TVH had four. TUC had two. FC had one.

3. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Is this thread about Seth MacFarlane and a TV series or yet another JJ Trek debate?

4. Bry_Sinclair

I'm all behind Seth Macfarlane taking charge of Trek, you know he'd be willing to do something different and take chances with a franchise that he is a fan of, hopefully without needing to do a hard reboot or alternate reality.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I think that ship has already sailed.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The STID that made $72 million on DVD and Bluray..for a total of $539 million in grosses...the two movies together grossed $1,057,000,000! That's billion..

RAMA

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

If Macfarlane has "departments" then it's Bluray commentary on STNG, Cosmos, and lots of comedies that I could care less about and one godawful movie about a talking bear...

RAMA

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:What will fans say instead of "Abrams isn't a Star Trek fan:wah:"? Truly, this is to him what Episode VII is to Abrams.
    It seems popular here on Trek BBS.

9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pleased that you bolded that. This way, we know you mean business. :techman:

The True Trek Fan-ness of the creative team is less important to me than their having creative chops and a genuine understanding of how storytelling works, what makes Trek tick at its best, and of course of what makes movies tick. Being a True Trek Fan doesn't guarantee any of those things -- there are plenty of fans with encyclopedic knowledge of Trek trivia who don't have those ingredients -- from McFarlane or Orci or anyone else. What mostly matters is whether the effort goes in to understanding what makes Trek what it is and building on its strongest qualities. (I personally kind of do think McFarlane could pull off something interesting, the more I revisit the topic of this thread, but it's not because he's a True Trek Fan.)

As for this:

Hey, did you know that First Contact had a 92% critic score and an 89% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes? Does that necessarily make it an objectively better film than STID?

No. No it does not. Because RT scores are actually not all that meaningful as an indication of quality any more than box office is.

(Actually First Contact kind of is a better film than STID in some key ways, but that's not to say I think it really deserves a critical rating fifteen points higher than The Wolf of Wall Street. Quoting these numbers at people like they're scientific proof of something is folly.)

Whooo, 7.9 on IMDB. That means... nothing much, really.

Avatar out-grossed STID, didn't it. Is it objectively the better movie?

(I mean, I'd argue that it kind of is... but not because of its gross. Quoting box office numbers at people as proof of quality is also folly.)

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  10. F. King Daniel

And the ratings from of your peers here on TBBS is similarly a meaningless barometer of opinion because...? Even here, a hub of complaints and fanrage, the majority liked or loved Star Trek Into Darkness.

11. BigJake

True Trek Fan-ness doesn't make you automatically persuasive any more than it makes you automatically Steven Spielberg, obviously.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  12. F. King Daniel

So basically you're saying "I don't like it and no amount of positive reviews from any source will convince me it has merit."

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Works for me. It's not the first time and I'm sure won't be the last either. When something is worthless to me it makes zero difference how many other people like it.

There are lots of films, television shows, music, assorted products and personal practices that are popular and I'll never give them a moment of my time or a dime of my money.

14. Bry_Sinclair

And nor should it. I thought STiD was awful and nothing will convince me otherwise, not even if it'd won Oscars for Best Film, Writing (though technically that would need to be shared with TWOK), Director, Actor and Actress.

Friendly debate on pros and cons is one thing, but trying to convince others that what they think is wrong and you think is right leads down a dark path.

15. BigJake

Taste. It is a difficult concept. It is not logical.

(If you'd like to know my thinking more fully, I won't bore you with it here. Instead I'll bore you over at my webzone where I go over it in mind-numbing detail. Enjoy!)

Wise words. And as we all know...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

THAT was incredibly long winded, but I stuck with it and agree with a lot of it.

17. BigJake

^ Thanks for reading! :)

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ So do you and Imaginary Dude hang out together a lot?

19. BigJake

He's not speaking to me right now. Probably jealous about Imaginary Babe. ;)

I mean, whatcha gonna do? Imaginary people are complicated.

20. F. King Daniel

Even if you hate personally think something is a big pile of shit, you can acknowledge that others find merit in it. That is what I'm talking about.

I think TNG is massively overrated, but I acknowledge that it's hugely popular.