News Seth MacFarlane’s The Orville

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", Aug 27, 2016.

1. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

1. No serialization
    2. No musicals
    3. No dance routines
    4. No cartoon show crossovers
    Just my thoughts on it.
    Although it might be fun to have the TNG cast members show up as something, not sure what though.

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, then, congratulations, you win a signed copy of Bortus' unreleased CD, "Bortus Sings the Hits!" It features a rare live cover version of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On!"

For those who didn't win, a limited number will be available. Offer good until the officers are called away.

Brennyren likes this.
  3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This should be the first album's title and cover art:[​IMG]

Brennyren and Kai "the spy" like this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're no fun.:(

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Highlight of episode 5: "...never mind that" after Gordon's leg drops through the ceiling:lol:

Otherwise it's a rehash of TNG: "A Matter of Time". Could be worse, when Pria first said "you were supposed to be destroyed" I thought it was gonna be a rehash of ENT: "Cold Front"

Also: The engine core is... a circle thing on the wall. Come on, guys! Fan films have better engine rooms.

6. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

I for one would love to see SM do a musical episode of Orville

He has had a working relationship woth some TNG crew, Stewart and Visitor from DS9 off the top of my head. I'd like to see them and frakes on.

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I want a musical.

I don't particularly want TNG guests.

GeekUSACarl likes this.
  8. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Patrick Stewart will show up. MacFarlane gets him on practically every project now - Family Guy, Ted, American Dad, he EP'd BluntTalk. They're buddies. I imagine Stewart will get the most un-Picard role possible or a gentle parody. He'll want to take the mick

I'm all for more Trek vets appearing. I hope it happens. If there's a Family Guy crossover it will possibly be a cutaway gag on that show.

Nakita Akita and Markonian like this.
  9. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is!:) What will be better is the following week when they stop at a nearby starport called Outer Space 10 to help Captain Siskie and his crew defend the station from a invading space army coming from a nearby spacehole called the Haddar! A scary monster looking race that is fueled by a drugs that are hooked up to a serious tubes going into their chest.

Jason

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Anything else, and rabid Trekkies would accuse the show of ripping off Trek. :eek:

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  11. 137th Gebirg

:lol: I think we're long beyond that. Said rabid Trekkies need to pick up the dictionary and learn the functional definition of "homage".

12. Jayson1

Homage is when you admit to stealing something. Stealing is when someone gets mad about it!

Jason

F. King Daniel likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

I don't know, something horizontal and mini-Large Hadron Collider-ish would be a perfect fit for whatever channels energy through those not-warp rings. Or at least a bit of horizontal pipe which they can fiddle with occasionally when they want to do engineering things.

So yeah, basically a horizontal lava lamp. Totally original concept:lol:

BillJ likes this.
  14. 137th Gebirg

Sure, and I think SM has quite openly expressed his love for TNG Trek and its optimistic outlook of the future, which he's quite effectively adapted, arguably better, than what Trek did with the idea. Orville fits quite nicely into the definition of "homage", I think. The true arbiter of theft vs homage lies squarely within CBS/Paramount's purview. Their anger (or not) and the actions of their attorneys are the only things that count in this particular case. If they choose to sue Fox over Orville, we'll know they think they stole the IP and give them the Axanar treatment. Until that happens, however, it's homage. :)

15. F. King Daniel

In my mind, Orville is more Trek. Aimed at Trek fans, recycling Trek stories, with characters in lookalike sets and costumes. All the tropes out in force. It's the Trek you remember from the late 80's and 90's, with dick jokes.

If legit Trek was still doing the same planet of the week format with the same bright tone there might be an issue. But Trek is now a grimdark serialised thing where they barely visit any planets and they're at war and they're determined to save on the lighting bill.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And Trek feels like it is moving forward and delving in to different issues.

Orville is doing so but in a way that is familiar and safe.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  17. Serveaux

It doesn't and it's not - Discovery is mostly melodrama, fanwank and pew-pew!

CaptainMurdock and BillJ like this.
  18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't mind melodrama. But I think the show should've found itself first before relying so heavily on fanwank.

19. Jayson1

I think the show is still interested in social issues. One difference though is it isn't exploring as many issues in a season that can be done in the old format. This season it is the Alt Right. I really hope they don't repeat that in season 2. Not just because EVER show is doing the exact same thing but because their are plenty of issues left that can be explored. Next season can be about Womens rights or Income equality or climate change. Nobody does anything on the enviroment so it's got plenty of untapped story potential if only anybody cared. Also you got Russia and Fake News and social media you can look at. I would love to see a show explore the shift in the Democratic party which led to outright hatred in the Bernie/Clinton election. Also how about the moderate Republicans? They basically lost their party to Trump and his people. Religion is always great for stories and so is Terrorism and Refuges and Immigration. Also it would be nice if someone tried to bring down Scientology other than just "South Park."

Jason

20. Serveaux

I don't mind melodrama, either. It's just that by it's nature it's "this is good enough to get by" storytelling. Discovery is as forgettable as an episode of Blue Bloods.

Seriously? Because they say that? :lol:

No. The show hasn't had a damned thing to say or an observation to make with regard to politics that's been worth the effort to make it.

PhotoBoy and BillJ like this.