Set blueprint exchange

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Redgeneral, May 10, 2014.

1. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

As regards to ceilings, keep in mind that a few were able to be raised out of the way. There's a shot of the early Obs lounge from outside where you can just make out the raised Sickbay ceiling element above the set. So, the octagon could have been built for Yesterday's Enterprise, and then raised out of shot if they decided they didn't like it.

Also, RedGeneral, where did you get the note about the "punchinella" for the cargobay doors? I would have thought it was just a type of screen, not that it was actually manufacturing refuse from another product.

2. JoeRalat

JoeRalat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Info on building elevator doors (TV/movies)
    http://www.garageofterror.com/2006elevator.html

3. Fxguy1

Fxguy1 Ensign Newbie

Greetings! After stumbling upon this thread I'd like to ask for some assistance. As a long time fan of Star Trek: TNG I want to pay tribute by way of a star trek themed room in my basement. I'm looking for ways to build the wall panels similar to the walls found on the bridge of the Enterprise-D or similar to the corridors found on the series.

Does anyone have details on how these were constructed?

4. JoeRalat

JoeRalat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am assuming you are talking about building materials. Building a set for tv/movies is different than a permanent item for your home.
    Movie sets are temporary, it needs to look good for the camera. It doesn't mean a set can't last for years, the materials are the same as in your home, but modifications may need to be made for areas like a basement.

Great intro video on set construction.
    https:// youtu.be/ydIob5yv74U

5. Lt. Washburn

I'm sure we can help you out, but if you can be more specific, we can give you tips to help build something. Do you want to simply adorn the room with elements that recall parts of the set, or do you want it look like a real location on the ship? If the latter, I'd recommend something that was actually closer to a residential room, like Picard's Ready Room, or the crew quarters. What were you thinking?

6. Fxguy1

Fxguy1 Ensign Newbie

Joe, I've got a background in theater and I'm familiar with the materials and techniques for stage, but admit I'm not well versed on the changes needed for TV/film (if any). Understand the temporary vs permanent considerations.

One of the reasons I was asking was to be able to determine what alterations I'd need to make to adapt for my particular use.

Lt. Washburn, I'd really like to make it look/ feel like an actual ship location as much as is possible / feasible. I was thinking of maybe he captains ready room or data's quarters. I like the idea of data's quarters with a touchscreen display behind the desk to display the ship similar to the one seen in engineering.

Basically I've got the walls studded and the subfloor laid. Still need to run electrical but that's dependent on the needs of the space.

On a side note I can't wall off the space due to code restrictions but I can do a half wall or temp / non permanent walls. This kind of makes doing a door entry either very tricky or not feasible. The remainder of the space is just going to be a standard open family room / playroom.

7. Lt. Washburn

In later season, Data's quarters had a corrugated detailing on the walls. This was most likely a commercial building material. If you wanted to do that, I can point you to some sources for it.

There are a number of people who have made custom LCARS screens and can either make one for you, or give you tips on how to do so.

If you want Star Trek furniture, it can be fairly difficult/expensive to locate.

8. Fxguy1

Fxguy1 Ensign Newbie

Is there any resources that list locations depicted in each episode, in order to watch those and grab some screenshots for reference?

9. Fxguy1

Fxguy1 Ensign Newbie

So I was just watching Season 3 Episode 7, the Enemy, and studying the Captain's ready room. I started thinking it would be neat to do that in a sense that there are two window wells on one wall of the basement that it would be helpful to black out. So I was thinking of placing the ready room in the corner and using the window in the ready room to hide the window that is there.

Noticed the window has stars passing by that don't appear to be digital / green screened in. Thought maybe a black felt fabric with sequins on rollers in a continuous loop?
    Thoughts on how to do something like that to make it appear as realistic as possible while standing there?

10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I believe that is how the "practical" star-fields were done on set (in the last seasons of Enterprise, they'd also use video screens to show stars at warp speed, rather than green-screening them in). I've never seen them in-person, so I don't know how well they'd sell. The biggest issue I'd have is that standing in front of them in a room, looking at them with your two depth-percieving eyes, it'd be obvious the stars were just behind the window, instead of at optical infinity. It might be possible to rig up some sort of mirror trick that would make the starfield appear to be further away than it actually is. I'm thinking of those infinity mirrors like the one Spock had in TWOK, Pepper's ghost, and collimated displays.

Those are all probably wildly impractical and expensive. The most realistic-looking option would probably be to just have a black space behind the window, and if anyone asks, explain that the room is too bight to see the stars, because of reflections and your eye's adjustment. Heck, most of the windows in Star Trek were empty for that exact reason; putting glass or plastic in would just be one more way to see stage lights, microphones, and cameras in the reflections.

11. Fxguy1

Fxguy1 Ensign Newbie

Didn't think of that! If budget allowed I'm sure a super thin OLED could work out pretty good. My wife doesn't like the idea of the captains ready room (she thinks the fabric panels are ugly and too much like office cubicles.) So I may have to revert to doing something like Data's quarters.

Still considering whether or not I want to shoot for a screen replica or more of a custom design using parts of screen replicas.

12. Lt. Washburn

Trekcore.com is the best resource for reference images.

13. Lt. Washburn

14. Lt. Washburn

15. Fxguy1

Fxguy1 Ensign Newbie

Exactly what I was looking for! I think this will work really well, even the dimensions of the area I have available to use are a pretty close match. Is there a floor plan that shows the depth from the rib (on both sides of the elevation) to the back wall?

On a side note my wife got me this for our anniversary, can't wait to read:
    https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Te...=1496097542&sr=8-1&keywords=Star+Trek+Action!

16. Fxguy1

Fxguy1 Ensign Newbie

17. Lt. Washburn

Are you really going to build the desk and everything, because that's pretty involved. I'm sure we can find more relevant blueprints and screencaps for you, if you are. Why not post a diagram of the room you're intending this for. Will you have enough room for a ceiling or beams?

18. Fxguy1

Fxguy1 Ensign Newbie

Sure thing. Give me some time and I'll put up a diagram / floor plan with the dimensions I have to work with. I'd post a photo or two but the corner is currently cramed with stuff while I finish studding off the other wall.

As for building the desk and everything, why not? I really need something to be working on continually or I get fidgety. Cant really sit still so having something to work on, even if it is pretty involved and takes a long time would be good for me.

On a side note I was watching the episode Darmok and Data's quarters in the episode were different. Was this a redress of the original set or a complete reconstruction? Any blueprints from that episode?

19. Fxguy1

Fxguy1 Ensign Newbie

[​IMG]

So the basement is 22 feet from bottom of the stairs to the wall and 22' 6.5" from top to bottom in the pic. There is a beam that is 4.5" thick that runs the length of the basement (dashed line in photo) and it is 12' from the Top Wall. The corner area I was thinking of is from the post (black dot) to the top which is an area that is 12' wide and then from the post to the wall is 7' but I could extend to the other post which would give me 14' X 12 ' to work with. The window is 65" off the floor and the floor to ceiling is 8' exactly. So pretty much like a black box theater.

20. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The junior crew quarters (of which Data's was most prominently featured) changed in appearance after Season 2 when the corridor layout was altered. Data's quarters changed again later when he started his dreaming programme, as he needed a bed.