Series 11 News & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jan 5, 2018.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

We can't from a director's CV. We'll have to wait for a formal announcement.

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The marketing materials for licensors do talk about there being over 11 hours of new material this year, so I'd call it more likely a separate episode than not.

Edit: Plus it was already confirmed that Jamie Childs was directing Episodes 9+10 so...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  3. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Camera limitations meant that if the Doctor's coat was high colour, high contrast, the sets and other costumes had to be overlit and in the same range.
    JNT said later that if the techs had explained that he'd have gone for a different costume. The idea was to make the Doctor this shining light in the darkness, but as the sets couldn't be dark...

jaime likes this.
  4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yes, the director listed (Wayne Yip) directed Block 2, and is a different guy than the one doing the finale (Jamie Childs again)

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've also seen the coat in Cardiff and it's definitely not as bright as when seen on screen. However, I'd attribute at least some of this to typical wear and tear and simple exposure of fabric to the air over thirty years... They also made three costume coats during Baker's tenure (one wonders if the third was made larger to accommodate the... additional talent... the actor picked up before his final season), so it's possible the one in Cardiff was more used/faded than the others.

Mark

6. StCoop

Entertainment Weekly has a big Cover Story on the new series in it's next issue. Some bits and pieces up on its website now.

I can see some people getting angry that the first publicity push (or two if you add in SDCC) is happening outside the UK.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

8. The Nth Doctor

Um. Why isn't it October already?

Ar-Pharazon, Jinn and OCD Geek like this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Stupid linear time.

10. The Nth Doctor

Quick! To the Bajorian Wormhole!

11. Samurai8472

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, given that all these pictures have all three companions together, I guess that stuff about the Doctor existing in three separate timelines are crap?

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a carefully managed marketing plan for the rollout of Series 11. We have a television show that's declined in the ratings over the last five years, we have a new producer, and we have a new Doctor that's unlike any that's come before. The days of "Let's run a BBC One sutumn trailer, get some pictures in Radio Times, and call it a day" are probably long over.

It's also helpful to remember that it's not BBC One that's paying to fly Jodie Whittaker and the cast out to San Diego next week. BBC America does, and it's not unreasonable for them to say, "If we're paying for this, we want to be able to do this, this, and this." If that's photos in EW and a trailer with unseen footage, so be it. And I wonder if this means that the tension that's existed between BBC One ("This is the way we promote things") and Worldwide ("The way you promote things hampers the ability of our broadcast partners to be able to promote the series") has finally be resolved.

I expected something a bit more churlish from Mzimba when I clicked through to his tweet. I didn't think he was that unhappy, but rereading it I can see how he certainly walks toward the line. If Tom Spilsbury had faced the same situation two or three years ago (the BBC bypassing the official propaganda magazine), he wouldn't have been anywhere near as professional.

14. Samurai8472

I think it's more critical to promote the world wide audience than the small UK audience. A female doctor is huge and they want to get the most coverage as possible.

It's possible we might get a stateside talk show appearance from Jodie in the near future too.

SDCC is way larger than a convention in the UK. It's a big deal.

Jodie will also be a part of the "Women Who Kick Ass" panel at SDCC

There will be trailer for the new series during the World Cup finals

The Nth Doctor and Allyn Gibson like this.
  15. StCoop

Rule Britania! BBC to show first Trailer after the World Cup final on Sunday, beating Johnny Foreigner to the punch after all.

16. The Nth Doctor

That does seem likely and here's hoping Stephen Colbert lands the interview. He's easily the biggest nerd of all the late show hosts and he's had two former Doctors on the show already (Tennant and Smith), albeit for other productions. I believe Doctor Who came up in both interviews.

17. Samurai8472

Corden would relate instantly with a fellow brit but Colbert would bring a well rounded one on one interview.

18. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Corden was also in two episodes of Doctor Who with Matt Smith's Doctor

19. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

This makes me miss Craig Ferguson.

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you think that second picture a Tardis laying down?