Contest: ENTER September 2018 Art Challenge - "That... is a Starship."

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Cyfa, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

My first new entry in a long time...

After the Virginia Tech Shootings, I was asked to donate a piece of SF art to a charity group attempting to raise money for 32 cleft lip surgeries, one in the name of each of the victims (the other two artists were doing fantasy and anthropomorphic pieces). The art was a premium if you donated at a certain level.

So, I went to work - I did a Phase II style ship, so as not to appear to be "ripping off" a design. It was a hospital ship, completely unarmed, and I felt it needed to memorialize one of the victims.

Dr. Liviu Librescu was a professor of Engineering at Virginia Tech. When the shooter arrived at his classroom door, he blocked the door with his body to allow his students to have a chance to escape via the window.

Dr. Librescu was born in 1930, thus the NCC number.

Edit: The original version of this model is pretty old, but the rendering was created specifically for the contest.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Sibyl, Cyfa and Admiral2 like this.
  2. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Loving your modified Enterprise, @Admiral2 - Especially the "flying saucer"-like primary hull and the dome-covered(?) deflector. Very cool. Particularly so for a first time in Paint!

@Rattrap - your hospital ship is a wonderful idea, and serves as a lovely tribute.

Everyone else - Only a little under a day left to submit your entries for this month's Art Challenge! I'm going to have quite a busy Monday morning, so I probably won't get around to posting the voting thread until the afternoon. This means that any late entries will be accepted up until then (please bear in mind that I live in England, so my Monday morning might be your Sunday night or Monday afternoon, depending where you are in the world ;)).
    Good luck!

Sibyl likes this.
  3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Dome-covered, yes. Deflector, no. It's the main EM sensor.

Thanks for the kind word!

Cyfa likes this.
  4. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

This challenge would have been the perfect opportunity for me to finish one of my abandoned starship projects, but although I attempt to do just that events conspired against me. So, I dug out a completed model and built a new scene for it over the weekend - old model, new asteroid field:

[​IMG]

scifieric, Cyfa and Sibyl like this.
  5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

^ Great stuff, y'all! I especially like @Admiral2's starship design because the drawing style is really cool and @Starscape's TOS ship, because it looks so unusual and yet very fitting for the era.

As for my entry, here's the finished piece …

[​IMG]

6. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

That's a cool scene, @Starscape. I love the ship! It looks like it would fit right into the early Pike era - for instance, in John Byrne's Crew comic series.

@Michael - Wow!

As for my entry: I can't decide between the two images that I came up with, so I'm going with the first one, below. I call it "Two Soups" (I'll be surprised and impressed if anyone knows where I got the title from) :lol:

[​IMG]

@Screamble's just putting the finishing touches to his entry, so I'll put the voting thread up when he's done (which suits me as I haven't got time at the mo to do so - v.busy morning).

Robert Simmons, Starscape and Sibyl like this.
  7. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

...Aaaand I was just about to reply to this thread and I lost Internet. Figures.

I guess I made it! Thank you for holding it for me!

Here she is: My USS Phoenix, NCC-625.

[​IMG]

I decided to go a little more artistic and went with this angle and, yes, included the mesh edges. ;)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018